Day Of The Daleks Guerilla Ultrasonic Disintegrator Gun

Started by elkad, May 13, 2019, 05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Reference; http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7464.0

I know my disintegrator gun wont be as accurate as the prop in the show, but at lest I know with this replica someone can make adjustments to make it closer looking to the accurate prop, or need a quick prop for a cosplay.

I'm using a couple guns for reference, one's a squirt gun with a removable clip & the other is just a rubber band hammer clicking toy. I don't know If I'll be using both to make separate guns or just one of them, (I'm experimenting  ;D ).

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (1).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (3).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (2).jpg

I sanded down the revolver to lay down a 4" width & a 6 " length PVC cover.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (5).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (4).jpg

I found you can trace a prop from a screen capture from ether a computer screen, or if you have the money, you can trace the prop using a Projector. Since I only have a computer, I resized the image on my the screen to the size of the gun & traced the image out on wax paper little by little.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (6).jpg

elkad

I think I made a mistake somewhere. I thought I put this post in the "Build" category, not the "Build Gallery". Can someone help me with this miss-filing, mistake.  ??? Can this be moved, or do I have to DELETE, DELETE, DELETE, & start again?

TG

elkad

Quote from: TG on May 15, 2019, 09:59 pm
Moved to the build diary  :)
TG

Thanks  ;D

elkad

I was thinking of making a wood mold & press the heated PVC into it to make the same shape as the prop. I was also thinking of folding PVC around the toy pistol, then cutting over the top & folding over fins that hold the center battery tube. Then it hit me the side fins are the length of the tube, witch would mean I'll have to cut the PVC in two half's.

The way the prop looks, it may have bin a molded part for the handle.
I'll try how fitting PVC over toy & see how to to to ......... My mind has gone blank again.  ???

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (7).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (8).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (9).jpg

Volpone

Off topic, I'm mildly amused that a bright purple plastic gun needs an orange muzzle so people will know it isn't a real gun. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

elkad

Quote from: Volpone on May 17, 2019, 04:13 am
Off topic, I'm mildly amused that a bright purple plastic gun needs an orange muzzle so people will know it isn't a real gun.

Accidents can happen in the dark.

I cut off the tip to make room & beveled the the side of the gun cover. Then I cut & pasted a underside. Once I have all the sides glued I'll cut it in half lengthwise & glue the sides on the sides of the toy gun.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (10).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (11).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (12).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (13).jpg

Now for the emitters. I'm using 1/2" yellow PVC pipe & cap for the barrel, & a 1/2" acrylic for the emitter. I marked out the acrylic with a pipe cuter & hack-sawed the piece off. I then used my drimel to make the acrylic fit in the tube & an angel grinder to make the tip of the emitter. Some sanding & polishing & then, on to the hole in the middle of the emitter.  Witch is about a half way cut using my drimel & eyeballing it.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (14).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (15).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (16).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (17).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (18).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (19).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (20).jpg

elkad

I made the middle with the same acrylic rod, sanding the tube & rod till they fit.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (21).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (22).jpg

The target emitter is simple, three rings.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (23).jpg

The center barrel, guessing, where the battery pack is, is the same as the target emitter. The cap on the end will be lathed & sanded on the inside, then I'll have to find a way to make it detachable. Ether using a pin & track guide to latch it into place, or glue a cap fitting or something to screw the cap on & off.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (24).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (25).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (26).jpg

Details for the light emitter caps. I forgot to find out the size of the pipes.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (27).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (28).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (29).jpg

I made a mistake making the gun casing. I was going to cut it in half & glue each half to each side of the gun using my heat gun & tin scissors. I didn't wan to use my drimel, it would make the piece smaller in width.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (30).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (31).jpg

This time I'm gluing piece by piece on to the gun half on a flat level surface.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (32).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (33).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (34).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (35).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (36).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (37).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (38).jpg

Stencil for the angels around the back.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (39).jpg

The casing is finished. Now to something else. I need to make the cover on the tip of the battery pack & glue on the target emitter on that. Somehow glue on the tabs that hold the battery pack, somehow angel the emitter lights toward the target emitter, sand & paint, & wire up the electronics.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (40).jpg

elkad

Making the cap that holds the target emitter.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (41).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (42).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (43).jpg

I couldn't straight glue the target emitter on to the cap. I had to make a brace for it, witch is a small piece of PVC in the center of the emitter & cap.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (44).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (45).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (46).jpg

I decided to have a pin & track for the battery cap on the back of the barrel.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (47).jpg

I made tab points on the light emitter fins to have a strong glue point. And I found using a stepper drill bit is alot less destructive, & alot less sanding involved.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (48).jpg

I drilled small holes to line up the hole for the fin tabs.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (49).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (50).jpg

Lathed wood dowel plugs for the light emitters.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (51).jpg

Still alot to do. Sanding, painting, mounting the barrel to the gun, electronics.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (52).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (53).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (54).jpg

elkad

The battery pack is a 2 AAA. I used AV cord for the wiring. I dremeled a gap on the bottom to hold the other wire in the pack.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (55).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (56).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (57).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (58).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (59).jpg

As you can tell, I painted the barrel.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (60).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (61).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (62).jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the barrel to the handle, ( maybe a PVC box glued to the handle & a PVC L bracket), & how to make the trigger, (maybe a PVC trigger).

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (63).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (64).jpg

I should have folded the....I don't know what you'd call them, mounting rails. I'll need to re-paint them silver to.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (65).jpg

Volpone

This is quite a neat build.  You're doing some stuff and using some techniques that I wouldn't have thought of.  Truthfully, I'm mostly just skimming it right now, but I plan to sometime really dig into this to see the materials and techniques you're using so I can adapt them for stuff I'm working on.  Very interesting project. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

This is looking so good. As a kid Day of the Daleks was the first story I got on VHS (though not the first story I saw) and I've loved this prop ever since. Sadly I think even following your process I still haven't the skill level to build one.

It was a great story for props, the guns, the dematerialisation circuit, the Dalek time machine, the mini-dematerialisation circuit, nice console scene, the Brig's little radio, Daleks of course... just missing some sonic action lol.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

elkad

Quote from: Volpone on Jun 01, 2019, 05:24 am
This is quite a neat build.  You're doing some stuff and using some techniques that I wouldn't have thought of.  Truthfully, I'm mostly just skimming it right now, but I plan to sometime really dig into this to see the materials and techniques you're using so I can adapt them for stuff I'm working on.  Very interesting project.

Thanks ;D

elkad

I had to cut more of the toy gun to accommodate the part that will soon attach the barrel to the handle. Leaving the screw points intact.
I also made a PVC screw point on the PVC handle cover & a pin hole for the PVC trigger I stenciled from a toy cap gun trigger.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (66).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (67).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (68).jpg

elkad

I made a mount out of a peace of wood. I had to plan it down with my dremel to fit.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (69).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (70).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (71).jpg

In the original prop, they use thin wire to tie down the electric wire coming form the emitter lights. I tore the paper off some twist ties & used the wire from that.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (72).jpg

The wood was plan to short & the emitters were shaking around, so I used some PVC to brace the wood mount.

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (73).jpg

Wired it up & done. I'll make a video soon. (I forgot to mention the extra wire in the front, I plan to connect it to a pyrotechnic at the end of the barrel were the hole is under the target emitter.)

Sonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (74).jpgSonic Disintegrator Gorilla V (75).jpg