Mar 07, 2021, 06:19 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Richard Hudolin TV Movie TARDIS (1996)

Started by Dematerialiser, Feb 12, 2009, 02:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ionsith

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 13, 2014, 04:43 am
I was referring to the thinner "inner" struts on the lamp itself:...

Now, if we could get a good image like this of the lamp when it's not lit, then we might see more of those details. Until then, take a look at this post from Cosmic Hobo - http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4827.30msg66118#msg66118 - it shows what I'm trying to highlight through the glare of the above photo: the thin struts on the actual lamp, which face the sides of the box, vs. the thicker struts of the "lamp cover" which are on the corners of the box.

Dino.

In the Regenerations book there is a really good photo of the model used for the vortex sequences. On that you can see the other struts more clearly..image (1).jpeg

galacticprobe

Nov 17, 2014, 05:22 am #61 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2014, 05:24 am by galacticprobe
Nice going, ionsith! (I've got that book on my shelf. So... why didn't my stupid brain think to have a poke through it?! :P) Oh, and just to save everyone's necks (since the photo posted sideways), I saved the image, and then had to do the DoctorWho8 "open the image (which opened rightways-up) and do a 'Save As...'" trick to set the metadata so the image would post upright.
image (1).jpg
And here it is (no straining/craning of necks required - which in my case is a huge plus).

Thanks, ionsith; this shows exactly what I was trying to explain (and apparently not doing a very good job of it).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ionsith

Pleasure, sorry about the sideways pic... still new at posting pics on here. Glad it helped :D

superrichi1a

Quote from: ionsith on Nov 17, 2014, 01:08 pm
Pleasure, sorry about the sideways pic... still new at posting pics on here.

Haha my friend, whether you are new or not at posting pictures does not matter, as this sideways picture issue is a thorn in the side of many a builder! I've tried to overcome is so many times only to have someone point out it's sideways and Dino often helpfully and kindly intervenes :) Though on my screen here your picture looked to be the correct orientation from the start, which just confuses matters more! I think we'll just have to sum it up with the following phrase:

"Go home forum, you are drunk.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Nov 18, 2014, 05:56 am #64 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2014, 05:57 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: ionsith on Nov 17, 2014, 01:08 pm
Pleasure, sorry about the sideways pic... still new at posting pics on here. Glad it helped :D

Some of the sideways photos I've saved looked perfectly upright when I opened them, and when I've reposted them (and done the "Save Draft and Continue >>" to see how it comes out), it appears on the screen sideways. So I do what Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff (a.k.a. DoctorWho8) suggested: even though the image looks correct on my computer, I do a "Save As..." with it, keeping the same filename and just clicking "Replace" when the computer asks me about it. That sets in the metadata Bill talked about. Then when I repost it to the Forum and do the "Save Draft...", the photo posts upright.

So hopefully that little tidbit will help people trying to post images that look correct on their screens. (This seems to happen mostly with pics taken with phones or tablets, so it's best to transfer the photo to your laptop/desktop, open it, and do the above - and rotate the image if that's necessary.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

oslm

I was doing a couple of online searches and I think I have found what the lamp may have been based on --

FresnelLampcloseup1_zpsbfc1b3f9.jpg

FresnelLampcloseup2_zpse332103d.jpg

This is called a Brass Nautical Ship Oil Lantern and once you remove the top and take off the handles and mounting brackets it comes close to the pics of the actual prop -- While I think that this fresnel lens is slightly short compared to the reference pics, I am sure that it could be changed -- This lamp measures about 11" in height and 4.75" in width --

I found this one listed on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Antique-Brass-Nautical-Ship-Oil-Lantern-Lamp-with-Fresnel-Lens-11-Tall-/231026862733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ca462a8d and no I am not the seller  ;D

Later

Oslm

galacticprobe

Nov 19, 2014, 04:50 am #66 Last Edit: Nov 19, 2014, 05:01 am by galacticprobe
Blockade Runner US Civil War Sutler sells repros of this lantern, and at about the same size: http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27a.html (it's the third item down the page). They're currently out of stock, but one could always e-mail them and ask when they plan to get more in. At the price they want, this would make for a great Hudolin lamp (or a 3/4th size Series 5-6 Matt Smith TARDIS).

I know these are very hard to locate, so having another source is good. EBay can be tricky; I always seem to get outbid, or the starting price is out of my range, and that's if I can find what I'm looking for. (I've been trying to find a replacement for my long-outgrown 3rd Doctor's ruffled shirt, with no luck in sight. All the ones I find seem to have been made for "pencil necks" (14-inch and smaller) with arms that hang down to their knees (37-inch sleeves and longer!); either that or they were made for a gorilla, 18.5-inch neck with 30-inch sleeves. There's no middle ground! Were people really built like that in the '70s? I've always had 34/35-inch sleeves with a 15.5-inch neck - that's naturally gotten to a 17-inch neck with the passage of time. I guess everyone's neck gets a bit thicker as they age. Look at Pierce Brosnan when he first became Bond, and then in his last outing as Bond; his neck is markedly thicker!)

Oh well, adjusting Drift Compensators - back on topic.

Dino.

DoctorWho8

Thanks to that large image David Nagle posted a few months ago, I have gotten around to taking a stab at making this door sign.  And that I cropped, rotated and distorted the sign until looked about right to me.
1996 Door Sign.jpg

Then I did jiggery pokery.
1996 Door Signa.jpg

I came to the conclusion the base font used was Souvenir Light with modified U's for Public and Pull only.  The clues are the P's, B's, R's, and M's that match it up for me.

I think they designed the sign on computer, printed it out, then traced it onto the board for the door sign, and painted the letters over the traced lettering.

So here is my link to the what I feel is the closest match we will have for the 1996 door sign.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65215981/1996%20TARDIS%20Door%20Sign.pdf
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

the_doctor

hb88banzai

Very nice, indeed!

One thing I noticed, though - the lower limb of the "C" in "PUBLIC" needs to be thicker. Looks like if you mirror the top limb it would be a similar effect to what they were going for in their hand painted version.

galacticprobe

Dec 19, 2014, 06:03 am #70 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2014, 06:05 am by galacticprobe
Another little tweak on that U in PUBLIC and PULL... the base of the U should flow straight into that little "tail", like in the large grab of the sign. In the PDF there is a distinct "notch" in the base of the U just before that tail. Other than that it is a fantastic replica graphic! (Can you also make a version where the lettering is white, and the background is a dark blue? - Just curious.)

Great job, Bill! (As usual!)

Dino.

DoctorWho8

I leave some of these "tweaks" to those who which to pursue the hand lettering themselves. My intention is that this is a clean, idealized version of the door sign that can be used as a template or done as a screen printed sign with the more "painted" looks added afterwards.
Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 12.45.05 PM.png
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Dec 20, 2014, 07:45 am #72 Last Edit: Dec 20, 2014, 07:46 am by galacticprobe
I got you, Bill. I just wasn't sure if that was intentional or not, but I understand what you're doing now. And that blue version looks great!

Dino.

davidnagel

Kind Regards,

David

www.spiffinglyniceguy.co.uk

davidnagel

Kind Regards,

David

www.spiffinglyniceguy.co.uk