Mar 29, 2024, 06:43 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Tom Yardley Jones TARDIS

Started by Dematerialiser, Feb 12, 2009, 02:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

I'll save you some trouble.  It was the Mk2.  By this time Andrew Beech would have had the Mk1 and the BBC had the Mk2.  But by this stage, the Mk2 was pretty banged up in storage.
MV5BMTg5OTExNzMyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI1MDYzNw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
clara_s_dimensions_in_time_by_frangmchardy-d69kwsg.jpg
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Kingpin

Thought it was the MK II, but thanks for the clarification.

Poor old thing, I know Purple isn't fond of the restoration, but she's looking a lot better than she was back then.

darren79

Mar 15, 2014, 11:17 am #17 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 pm by darren79
It's possibly my favourite box despite bizarrely being used so rarely.

warmcanofcoke

There is a fascinating history of the TYJ Prop here : http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/policeboxes/tv3.html
with details on both the MKI and MKII.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

davidnagel

Regards
David

davidnagel

Regards
David

DoctorWho8

Jun 06, 2015, 02:40 pm #21 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2015, 02:40 pm by DoctorWho8
Quote from: davidnagel on Jun 01, 2015, 10:33 pm
colin baker 1.jpg

I saw the blackness at the top of the doors and freaked out and thought they were oddly damaged.  Ran this by old friend Purple and he said it was just the interior black curtain material getting snagged in the opening.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Jun 07, 2015, 06:29 am #22 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2015, 06:31 am by galacticprobe
And here it is:

CurtainCorner.jpg
Cropped to show just that corner, then lightened, and sharpened. You can see the curtain itself is a bit torn. It also looks like some of those damaged threads have gotten caught in the other door (hanging down from the top, and across the center divide), making it look like that part of the prop was cracked/damaged as well.

Thanks for clearing that up, Bill. I was also a little disturbed (okay, more than a little) when I saw that door corner.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

darren79

That Colin publicity shot and Attack of the Cybermen shot are the Mk 1 box - this is for the Mk 2, 1986 onwards box.:)

davidnagel

Regards
David

the_doctor

Interesting to see that along with the TVM Box, it also looks like the final door panel sign variant was hand painted judging by that big press shot of Colin.

fivefingeredstyre

Following on from a topic being discussed in the Mk1 TJY thread, do we know if this box was actually built for the Mysterious Planet, or was it built earlier?

Plans exist that suggest that a new box was built for Planet of Fire, some three years earlier, could this one have been built then?

galacticprobe

Jun 17, 2016, 09:17 pm #27 Last Edit: Jun 17, 2016, 09:26 pm by galacticprobe
Judging by Colin Baker's appearance I have to say this box was built earlier. Colin appears as his pre-hiatus slender self. When the show returned for the 'Trial of a Time Lord' series, Colin was markedly heavier. (He'd gained more than just a few pounds during the hiatus.)

Compare this post-hiatus photo of him with the above pre-hiatus photo and you can tell the difference:
Post-Hiatus.jpg
I know it's not the best photo, but you can see he's definitely heavier (though he'd lost some weight before filming started again), and his hair is longer. So the box above was definitely built earlier than "The Mysterious Planet".

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

Someone upthread pointed out that that the earlier pictures of Colin was with the Mk1, so Colins, erm.... Ballast? isn't really going to be a good guide.

Other than the door hndle positions, how can we tell the differences between the two boxes?

galacticprobe

Jun 19, 2016, 04:09 pm #29 Last Edit: Jun 19, 2016, 04:13 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Jun 18, 2016, 01:07 pm
Someone upthread pointed out that that the earlier pictures of Colin was with the Mk1, so Colins, erm.... Ballast? isn't really going to be a good guide.

I thought you were referring to the box in this thread (shown in various photos above) with the way you asked the question in here:
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Jun 17, 2016, 06:44 pm
Following on from a topic being discussed in the Mk1 TJY thread, do we know if this box was actually built for the Mysterious Planet, or was it built earlier?

hence my reply. If Colin Baker was photoed with the box while he was in "thin" mode, then it would mean the box was built earlier than having been built for "The Mysterious Planet". (So, in that sense, Colin's "ballast" - or the lack thereof in the earlier photos in question - is sort of a good guide as it dates that box to at least 18 months prior to the show's return and the premier of "Mysterious Planet".)

Dino.