Apr 18, 2024, 04:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Oak TARDIS Time Cabinet

Started by kutan66, Apr 18, 2019, 07:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

This site really is amazing.  And we owe a debt to all the people who built TARDISes before us and shared the things they learned.  And the other people who analyze frame by frame for every little detail.  (Although it also is a bit of a curse.  I always tell people, "Before the Internet, if it was blue, had panels and windows and a light on top, it was clearly a TARDIS."  Now it is to the point where one can build a TARDIS that is screen accurate to a specific scene in a specific serial and most of us who've been here any length of time can recognize which TARDIS is depicted--some can even differentiate variations of police box.  The bar is indeed raised.) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

kutan66

On Saturday I just finished off the last bits of the left hand side.

Finished fitting and fixed its sign.

96-SignOn.jpg

Extended the back of the top of the box.

97-ExtendSignTop.jpg

Put on the 'above sign step'.

98-StepAboveSigns.jpg

Then put a block in the end as a bit of a roof support.

99-BlockInEnd.jpg

And apart from Osmo on the new top bits, one side is finished.

100-WithStepAboveSign.jpg

Sunday was scribing, assembling and fixing the bits of the right hand side together.  Then Osmo Oil on the non-oiled bits.

Today began with a jaunt to one of the larger B&M's to see if we could bag a TYJ 5th Doctor Tardis!

101-RhsWithMiniTyjTard.jpg

(We did!)

Then this afternoon I fitted the lock.    As I'm doing an 84% scale box, I thought a full size cylinder lock would maybe look a tad too big.  So I fitted it without the collar bit.

102-LockIn.jpg

And a few weeks ago I happened across this in Forbidden Planet!

103-Keys.jpg

And I of course had to push both sides together to see what they looked like!

104-SidesTogether.jpg

Davros Skaro

This is coming along brilliantly, you've done a brilliant job on this, looking forward to what's next!

Chris.
Chris.

kutan66

Friday night went into the garage loft and dug out some 3mm glass off cuts (from when I used to waste some of my time doing picture framing now and again.)
Also found some glass etching acid some old picture framer gave me 21+ years ago.

Had a very lazy Saturday morning.   Finally arrived at the workshop around 1.  Then mum appeared saying she may have to go to the hospital.  She'd cut the side of her hand on the veg knife.

I said, its either 4 hours in A&E at the hospital.. or we break out the antiseptic and superglue.

5 mins later I was back on Tardis Duty!

Found a different piece of old textured glass in the workshop.   Then cut this and the 3mm glass into the 24 pieces for the windows.

105-CuttingGlass.jpg

As I dont want to be seeing clothes and coathangers through the glass, I want a sand blasted look to the glass.    I probably hadn't opened the etching acid for 15+ years.  Used it for doing borders round mirrors etc.. but its a bit hit and miss.

I can't remember it being this colour!

106-EtchingAcid.jpg

That could only be described as some evil looking #@&% !

I tested a bit.. but as I suspected, it wouldn't do large areas neatly.   Would be ok for the textured glass though.

107-GlassTest.jpg

I also used to use etching spray.  So ordered one of those from Ebay to try.

Spent the last part of the day sanding and giving most things a second coat of Osmo.

108-SecondOsmo.jpg

Today.  Decided that if it was time to begin assembling some bits, I'd need to get up early and get on with it.  So I made an extra effort (for a Sunday) and was in the shop for 8.

First job.  Sides screwed to base.

109-SidesOnBase.jpg

Then roof screwed on.

110-RoofOn.jpg

Then cut back.  I had to lie it down for this.  Its officially getting heavy now!

111-BackCut.jpg

Gave the good side a coat of Osmo and put on laths to hold it in.

112-BackLaths.jpg

I'd put in a squaring lath first to keep things square.

113-SquareLath.jpg

Then Thomas popped in with Pete.

114-CompressioonEliminator.jpg

And a final pic before I came in, stood on a machine!

115-StoodOnAMachine.jpg

Volpone

1) That oak is so magnificent. 
2) Your Mom trusts you more than my Mom trusted me.  I shudder to think her reaction if I tried to patch her up with antiseptic and Krazy Glue. 
3) There was a 3 but I for...oh.  Acid.  Never tried etching glass.  But I did some printmaking once upon a time.  I like woodcut in that you can do that in a home shop, but making etchings was fun.  I'd yammer on about it, but that has nothing to do with TARDIS-making.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Davros Skaro

Interested in seeing how you do the rail. Are you going to use timber for this or a metal rail?

When I use to work for a furniture place making pine furniture we make wardrobes & made our own hangers out of timber.
I've drawn up what it looked like on word doc. but can't post it on here, but if your interested I could email it to you.

Keep up the great work.

Chris.
Chris.

kutan66

I haven't thought about the rail much yet.    I would imagine that it will be full of kids for a while, before it gets filled with clothes!

I do have some of those stronger oval rails in stock, but may make a nice oak one instead.  I'll see what happens!

Thank you
Ian

kutan66

Evening!

Had a weekend off last week.     Back on the big box building yesterday.

Did though have a discussion about the position of the finished box.  And it looks like its eventually moving into the study now.  Which means it wont be a wardrobe anymore.  But I'm sure a can find a lot of things to go in it in here though once the kids are out!

So.. yesterday.   Cut and fitted post toppers.  Been looking forward to fitting these!

116-PostToppers.jpg

117-PostToppers.jpg

Next - cut and fit the 'above sign' step.

118-AboveSignStep.jpg

Then fit the top sign.

119-TopSign.jpg

And the 'top step'..

120-TopStep.jpg

Followed by the other two steps.

121-ThreeSteps.jpg

Then slapped some Osmo Oil on the new bits before finishing for the day.

Today began fitting the doors.

Thomas popped in.

122-Visualising.jpg

Then hinged the doors.

123-DoorsOn.jpg

Put in the phone box.

124-PhoneBox.jpg

And the phone box door.

125-PhoneBoxDoor.jpg

Then Thomas came back and I let him loose with the Tardis Key!

125-Testing.jpg

Not finished yet.. but getting closer!

Cheers
Ian

dw_1200

Oh my god, how on earth didn't I notice this lovely build?! This is amazing!  :o
Looking forward to see the final result

Cardinal Hordriss

My dad can't put a flat-pack bedside cabinet together...

This is actually beautiful. I hope DW Magazine find out about it.

I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

fivefingeredstyre

You know you have to build the other half, don't you :D

Davros Skaro

Then put it on the other side of the wall to make it look like the Tardis materialized in the wall. LMSO  :D

Chris.
Chris.

No More

If the doors open inwards, is it going to be difficult to fit a lot inside?
I'm thinking of shed ones like colly56's box (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6635.msg87209;topicseen#msg87209) with outward-opening doors where space inside would be too restricted otherwise, and that's with a full-depth box.

I'm not convinced it matters though, as this oak beauty should be able to stand as a piece of art anyway, however many books or clothes you manage to fit inside it...

kutan66

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Sep 16, 2019, 08:35 pm
You know you have to build the other half, don't you :D

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Sep 16, 2019, 11:21 pm
Then put it on the other side of the wall to make it look like the Tardis materialized in the wall. LMSO  :D

Chris.

:D   Heheh!  I have a plan!

Quote from: No More on Sep 17, 2019, 08:59 am
If the doors open inwards, is it going to be difficult to fit a lot inside?
I'm thinking of shed ones like colly56's box (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6635.msg87209;topicseen#msg87209) with outward-opening doors where space inside would be too restricted otherwise, and that's with a full-depth box.

I'm not convinced it matters though, as this oak beauty should be able to stand as a piece of art anyway, however many books or clothes you manage to fit inside it...

Ta-Da!

126-OuvreLaPorte.jpg

Thank you!
Ian

Volpone

Impressive, that you've been able to hide the hinges so well on an outward-opening door. 

I had a bunch of luan plywood laying around at my old place, so I paneled the inside of my garage.  I used one of the spots between the joists for a tool wall so I put a "secret" door over it.  It was fine but you could easily see the hinges if you looked for them (and the door wouldn't open very far to boot).  Having a door that opens out with no visible hinges is quite a trick in my book.
-The Doctor.