1:13 Character Options Scale Brachacki TARDIS Porch

Started by kert gantry, Mar 24, 2019, 10:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kert gantry

Mar 24, 2019, 10:44 pm Last Edit: Mar 27, 2019, 11:14 pm by kert gantry
Here's another relatively modest build that I actually stand a cat-in-hell's chance of finishing.

tardisporchmodk (2).jpg

I'd been wanting to make a model of the Hartnell Porch for quite a while. Tony Farrell sent me a set of beautiful and highly detailed measured drawings for a Porch build a little way back, but for some consistency between projects I've been using my own (as yet unfinished) Brachacki model as the basic template.

tardisporchmodd.JPG

4D Models (the shop's in Leman Street, Aldgate) do some nice miniature hinges, as seen here.

tardisporchmodg.JPG

Main structure built and detailing going on, and some experiments with weathering on the paintwork. I used the publicity photos from The Massacre as the main reference source; especially useful in giving clues to the construction of the (lack of) base. A line scored through the centre of the steps above the doors and the sign box simulates the divide down the middle evident in the original prop.  

tardisporchmodl.jpg

tardisporchmodh.JPG

For extra accuracy, here are the holes left by that missing door handle, also evident in the Massacre photos. I always like to add a little fake history to my models where possible!

Kingpin

kert gantry

Mar 27, 2019, 08:00 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 27, 2019, 11:24 pm by kert gantry
Been trying out a couple of different methods with the signage. A basic print of the top sign on paper didn't give the required look of lettering printed onto glass so I tried making a decal (see-through where the white of the lettering would be) and putting it on clear plastic. Never that good at decals, my aged printer chose this precise moment to go into its death throes, so the result wasn't great as you can see.

tardisporchmod2.jpg

However, I found that putting the paper version behind the decal looked pretty good, so that's how I'll mount them in the sign box, sandwiched firmly between some more see-through plastic to keep the letters in register.  

tardisporchmod1 (2).jpg

The rest of the signage was comparatively simple. The 'Pull To Open' sign was printed on paper and overlaid with clear plastic and the frame. The St. Johns badge was cut roughly to shape then stuck onto a piece of thin sheet styrene to make filing the edges to a decent circle much easier. I'm pleased with the little Yale lock, which is a slice of brass tubing infilled with Milliput, with a tiny keyhole bit scored in with a needle. Just need to finish the windows and the paint job now.

markofrani

kert gantry

Nov 01, 2019, 10:30 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2019, 12:38 am by kert gantry
Am waiting on some tiny window hinges for this and my other Brachacki model build, courtesy of a pal who knows where to source such things. In the meantime I made a couple of faux hinges from thin pieces of ribbon sandwiched between brass strip. This has worked so well I may keep the opening window on the Porch model as it is.  

PORCHDKYKHJ.jpg

PORCHBLULLU.jpg

Slots on the back and some simple flats for the sides to add a bit of depth to the Porch when required.

PORCHEGKGKRGF.jpg

kert gantry

Nov 01, 2019, 10:57 pm #6 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2019, 12:27 am by kert gantry
Here's how the weathering's looking. I like the highly distressed state of the props in the later Hartnell episodes but stopped short of copying the over-enthusiastic use of Artex on the Porch as seen in The Massacre. Think of this model as a kind of Pilot/Massacre hybrid. It's a wash of Humbrol grey primer and turps, and I tried to be reasonably faithful to the patches of weathering seen in the Wimbledon Common photo shoot, including what looks suspiciously like the remains of some graffiti on the corner post by the grubby window!  

PORCHCYJYJJY.jpg

PORCHFKGKKG.jpg

I may stipple over with some more blue and take the weathering down a bit in a few days' time, then that should be pretty much it. One detail I've deliberately left off are the hinges on the right of the 'Pull To Open' sign's frame. The ones on my other Brachacki box are on the left (which I prefer for some reason), so if I add any to this I'll keep them consistent with that.  

PORCHAOIPT.jpg

Davros Skaro

Search for "dolls house furniture hinges" on google & eBay, there are heaps on there really cheap of different types too.
Hope this helps!
Chris.
Chris.

kert gantry

Cheers, Davros Skaro.

The hinges on order are going to be custom made to an exact shape and size. Dolls house-type ones were used for the porch doors (see above) and so far those are the smallest widely available ones I've found. It's always good to hear of any other small ones to be had.  :)

tony farrell

A beautiful (scale) model there Thomas!

Thanks for sharing!

T

cosmichobo02

markofrani

kert gantry

Thanks for the encouraging words, folks  :)

PORCHGIMGKG.jpg

Toned down the weathering with a final wash of Humbrol Oxford Blue enamel today, and I'm much happier with the overall finish. Closer to how it looked in Massacre and Toymaker, I think.