Apr 19, 2024, 03:44 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

McGann Lock Plate

Started by davidnagel, Apr 28, 2019, 04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Apr 28, 2019, 04:07 pm Last Edit: Apr 28, 2019, 05:16 pm by davidnagel
Now, I don't have the sort of money mverta has to get a custom lock plate made, so wondering how best to achieve this on very little.

Image6.jpg
TardisKey&Lock1996_kindlephoto-13332156.jpg

Cannibalise a proper lock and cut it up and epoxy it onto a metal plate?

3d print it?

Suggestions on a postcard..
Regards
David

Volpone

Apr 29, 2019, 04:03 am #1 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2019, 02:07 pm by Volpone
I'm mostly stumped.  Looked at this for around 5 minutes.  OK.
1) Buy some latex.  Or plaster of Paris.  Or whatever people use for making molds.  
2) Buy a cheap lock at Lowe's.  Or Home Depot.  Or wherever people buy door locks outside the USA.  
3) But some resin or brass or other appropriate casting material.  
4) Make a mold of the lock.  Because you control the depth the lock is sunk into the mold medium, it should be relatively easy to get a shallow shape.  
5) Get a dowel the right size for your lock...collar?  Bezel?  
6) Cut it in half with a blade wide enough for a TARDIS key.  
7) Glue your cut-up dowel and lock bezel onto your TARDIS.  
8 ) Cast your false lockface.  (You could put a bit of wire or your nail into the casting to eliminate the next step.)
9) Drill a hole in said lockface, the size of a picture nail.  
10) Nail your false lockface to the lock assembly.  

It's not the worst plan I've ever had.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

KIT-KAT

Now I'm in the process of making one

I've sawed and sanded down the key front plate and I'm going to place it on top of a styrene cut circle with the slit down itIMG_20190429_072658.jpg
No, not the mind probe!

ciderman

Jam jar lid sprayed gold?

davidnagel

I know what you mean but I'm talking about the raised key hole part on the top plate.
Regards
David

mverta

There are tons of resins which are easy to work with - usually Part A/Part B mixed 1:1 which you can easily make these parts with.  A little hot glue and some foamcore, maybe a couple pvc tubes you can find at your local DIY place and you can easily do this.  Little casting kits are not very expensive, and you can get a lot of mileage out of them!

_Mike

davidnagel

Aye, thanks all for input. I may just go for moulding out the specific parts and combining after.

Fortunately am no stranger to moulding and whatnot, but thought the hive mind wuold have an ideal approach - as you all do.

Thank you :)
Regards
David

KIT-KAT

Jun 18, 2019, 01:20 pm #7 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 01:22 pm by KIT-KAT
Quote from: davidnagel on Apr 28, 2019, 04:07 pm

Image6.jpg
TardisKey&Lock1996_kindlephoto-13332156.jpg

Interestingly, in the first picture, the lock seems completely normal. however, in the second picture, we can see the actual lock mechanism that swings back is raised and now has a pin on it to sway. could this be because the production team thought of this later on as a cool gimmick? or is it an entirely separate door?
The texturing looks different on the box in each photo making me wonder if they did replace the door.
No, not the mind probe!