Started by Rassilons Rod, Mar 11, 2019, 12:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

markofrani

Re my SHADA 2017 box:
That should be 1:6 scale

Rassilons Rod

Mar 13, 2019, 10:03 am #16 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 11:25 am by rassilonsrod
Thanks for the info Jonathan! :)

Got a few things to update on the main table (re: mind robber, etc).

But here's an updated short list of the individual boxes with your box details corrected :)

YearFirst SeenBoxScale
1963Keys of MarinusMarinus Boxultra tiny scale
1964Rescue/ RomansShawcraft Box 11:3
1965Master plan (Volcano)? Shawcraft Box 21:5
1969Mind RobberMind Robber Box1:5?
1972Curse of Peladion (Claws of Axos?)Ian Scoones Boxscale?
1975Planet of EvilMat Irvine Boxscale?
1981LogopolisLogopolis Box1:3?
1984Planet of FirePlanet of Fire Boxscale?
1986Mysterious Planet (Timelash?) Mike Tucker Boxscale?
2017ShadaJohnathan Sellers Box 1:6
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

fivefingeredstyre

Which scenes in Planet of Fire used a miniature?

I've seen the publicity shots where the regulars are prancing around in front of a model; however I can't recall if it was used in the actual show at all?

bobjohns

I believe there is a beach scene where a forced perspective shot of the model is used, with it in the foreground. This is as a stand in for the full size box, which for practical reasons, wasn't shipped to Lanzarote.

I confess I had no idea until someone pointed it out recently.

warmcanofcoke

May I direct you t Tony Farrell TYJ Article [Pg 2]

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6965.1

They used the real prop.

QuotePlanet of Fire (Production Code 6Q):

If - as with "THE CASE OF THE MISSING QUADRANT" - every story need a bit of mystery, then every story should also have a bit of controversy too!

According to the commentary on the DVD of "Planet of Fire", the Tardis exterior seen on location in part one of this adventure was nothing more than a three foot tall model which was placed close to the camera to create a 'false perspective' - thereby giving the illusion that the full-sized prop had been used:
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=432;topic=6965.0;attach=133963;image
At first sight, because we don't see either the top or bottom of the prop, this might be true. It is also reasonable to assume that the BBC would get its facts correct as well. With all the archive material available to the producers of the DVD range, it must be documented somewhere that a model Tardis was indeed taken to Lanzarote for the location shoot of "Planet of Fire".

But then, how do we explain this piece of information?
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=432;topic=6965.0;attach=133965;image
I think we can take the weights of the items as being correct as these would be used by the air-carrier in order to transport the "Tardis Panels" to Lanzarote. So, let's try to identify the parts listed:

At 4​' 6​" (54" square), it is reasonable safe to assume that this is the prop's base. At 4​' 3​" by 7​' 6​" (51" x 90​"), I think we can take this to represent the side panels (inclusive of the sign-boxes). Note, I stated side panels - the weight stated is 140​ pounds. Compare this weight to that of 63​ pounds stated for the section which has the measurements stated as 6​' 3​" by 3​' (75" by 36​"). The latter would therefore appear to represent the doors whilst the former (at over twice the weight) would therefore seem to represent two side panels!

It would seem - according to the cargo manifest - that what was taken to Lanzarote for "Planet of Fire" was the Tardis' base, two sides, two corner posts and one set of doors - enough (when filmed in close-up) to suggest the presence of the full prop and enough to build a stable prop (i.e., one which wouldn't require stagehands to hold it upright).

We'll come back to how much of the prop is actually shown in the location footage from Lanzarote in a moment; for now let's return to the dimensions stated in the cargo manifest.

At 75​" tall by 36​" wide and weighing 63​ pounds, this seems to represent a pair of Tardis doors. However, 75​" for the height cannot be correct. This is simply too short: 75​" equals 6​' 3​" (the same height as Tom Baker and only 2.75​ inches taller than Peter Davison); neither actor had to stoop when entering or leaving the TYJ Tardis prop, so the doors must be at least 6​' 6​" (78") tall.

So, apart from the cargo manifest, what evidence is there to prove that the commentary on "The Planet of Fire" DVD is incorrect when it stated that a model Tardis rather than a full-sized prop was used?

Well, lets take this 'in reverse order' - what evidence is there to prove that a model was used? Obviously there is the commentary itself. The BBC is an august body - it is reasonable to expect it would get its facts correct!

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=432;topic=6965.0;attach=133983;image

There is a lot more t this article.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Rassilons Rod

Mar 13, 2019, 02:13 pm #20 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 02:17 pm by rassilonsrod
You may indeed!

Good stuff Nate, I remember discussion of this but couldn't remember the outcome. (And haven't had a chance to go looking yet).

I'll update accordingly.  :)
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Mar 13, 2019, 01:35 pm
May I direct you t Tony Farrell TYJ Article [Pg 2]

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6965.1

They used the real prop.

QuotePlanet of Fire (Production Code 6Q):

If - as with "THE CASE OF THE MISSING QUADRANT" - every story need a bit of mystery, then every story should also have a bit of controversy too!

According to the commentary on the DVD of "Planet of Fire", the Tardis exterior seen on location in part one of this adventure was nothing more than a three foot tall model which was placed close to the camera to create a 'false perspective' - thereby giving the illusion that the full-sized prop had been used:
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=432;topic=6965.0;attach=133963;image
At first sight, because we don't see either the top or bottom of the prop, this might be true. It is also reasonable to assume that the BBC would get its facts correct as well. With all the archive material available to the producers of the DVD range, it must be documented somewhere that a model Tardis was indeed taken to Lanzarote for the location shoot of "Planet of Fire".

But then, how do we explain this piece of information?
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=432;topic=6965.0;attach=133965;image
I think we can take the weights of the items as being correct as these would be used by the air-carrier in order to transport the "Tardis Panels" to Lanzarote. So, let's try to identify the parts listed:

At 4​' 6​" (54" square), it is reasonable safe to assume that this is the prop's base. At 4​' 3​" by 7​' 6​" (51" x 90​"), I think we can take this to represent the side panels (inclusive of the sign-boxes). Note, I stated side panels - the weight stated is 140​ pounds. Compare this weight to that of 63​ pounds stated for the section which has the measurements stated as 6​' 3​" by 3​' (75" by 36​"). The latter would therefore appear to represent the doors whilst the former (at over twice the weight) would therefore seem to represent two side panels!

It would seem - according to the cargo manifest - that what was taken to Lanzarote for "Planet of Fire" was the Tardis' base, two sides, two corner posts and one set of doors - enough (when filmed in close-up) to suggest the presence of the full prop and enough to build a stable prop (i.e., one which wouldn't require stagehands to hold it upright).

We'll come back to how much of the prop is actually shown in the location footage from Lanzarote in a moment; for now let's return to the dimensions stated in the cargo manifest.

At 75​" tall by 36​" wide and weighing 63​ pounds, this seems to represent a pair of Tardis doors. However, 75​" for the height cannot be correct. This is simply too short: 75​" equals 6​' 3​" (the same height as Tom Baker and only 2.75​ inches taller than Peter Davison); neither actor had to stoop when entering or leaving the TYJ Tardis prop, so the doors must be at least 6​' 6​" (78") tall.

So, apart from the cargo manifest, what evidence is there to prove that the commentary on "The Planet of Fire" DVD is incorrect when it stated that a model Tardis rather than a full-sized prop was used?

Well, lets take this 'in reverse order' - what evidence is there to prove that a model was used? Obviously there is the commentary itself. The BBC is an august body - it is reasonable to expect it would get its facts correct!

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=432;topic=6965.0;attach=133983;image

There is a lot more t this article.
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Mar 13, 2019, 02:16 pm #21 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 05:50 pm by rassilonsrod
Updated again. Thanks Nate!

YearFirst SeenBoxScale
1972Curse of Peladon (Claws of Axos?)Ian Scoones Boxscale?
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Mar 14, 2019, 06:35 am #22 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2019, 06:35 am by rassilonsrod
Mind Robber/ another 1:5 are the same box, I believe (and already on).

1996 box now added :)

I'll add Stones of blood to the main list now too.

YearFirst SeenBoxScale
1986TV MovieRichard HudolinScale?
Public Enema Number One.

fivefingeredstyre

Aren't there two boxes used in Curse of Peladon? The 1:5 box and the one Ian Scoones built to tumble down the mountain?

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Mar 14, 2019, 07:07 am
Aren't there two boxes used in Curse of Peladon? The 1:5 box and the one Ian Scoones built to tumble down the mountain?

That's entirely possible....
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

I reckon you could maybe put three of the smaller boxes in a line in front of the larger one but that would make the larger one, 1:2 if that's the case.

I don't know.... I'm not the best at scaling. Anyone else?

Quote from: markofrani on Mar 12, 2019, 09:54 am
a 1:6 scale, rather than 1:5 scale for DMP. Looking at the comparative size of the two models I think 1:6 seems more likely. What do you think?

010.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Mar 14, 2019, 09:00 am #26 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2019, 09:03 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Mar 14, 2019, 07:23 am
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Mar 14, 2019, 07:07 am

That's entirely possible....

Well, in the description of the Ian Scoones box it says there is a hole the base of the model in order to attach it to a flying rig. There is a hole in the box on the falling TARDIS.

Don't know if that is definitive but I'm throwing it out there.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Mar 11, 2019, 07:04 pm
The Curse of Peladon 1972 MMM Season 9 Stroy 61

Ian Scoones Model

Curse of Peladon Models aditional 2.jpgCurse of Peladon Models aditional 2.jpg

QuoteOk, here is another one of my favourites... a model miniature TARDIS made by Ian Scoones in the early 1970's. It's first use would have been late Pertwee era and it has a removable panel and hole in the base for attachment to a flying rig. Used in multiple different episodes and can be screen / photo matched.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153856165055853&set=gm.944633608964680&type=3&theater

No message is associated with this attachment.

Rassilons Rod

Mar 14, 2019, 09:10 am #27 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2019, 09:16 am by rassilonsrod
Info from https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Ian_Scoones#Credits. No idea of it's accuracy. I did read on IMDB that he worked on 17 "episodes", so at the very least it looks like there's some missing info...

But this would seem to suggest he built the box for Peladon, as you suggest. There were no TARDIS shots in Ambassadors. :D

IMG_20190314_090813.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Mar 14, 2019, 02:28 pm #28 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2019, 02:29 pm by rassilonsrod
1996 box now added Jonathan Sellers name corrected  :)  apologies!

YearFirst SeenBoxScale
1986TV MovieRichard HudolinScale?
2017ShadaJonathan Sellers Box 1:6
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Mar 14, 2019, 05:26 pm #29 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019, 01:15 am by warmcanofcoke
I think the Timelash box is it's own box.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9525.0

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9526.0
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Mar 10, 2019, 09:16 am
Here's a couple of shots I took of the actual model whilst it was on display at the 50th Anniversary convention.

Forgive the perspective - the models were on a very high shelf!

IMG_1157_zps5r1gorxo.jpg

IMG_1158_zpsqznsonov.jpg

Talking of perspective, the reason why the model has an elongated top cross rail above the windows is apparently so it could be easily recognisable as the TARDIS when viewed from above.