The RTD Era Sonic Screwdrivers: A Compiled History

Started by Terrasolo, Mar 02, 2019, 01:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Terrasolo

I'm happy to reply!

And yeah, no worries. Of course I can only speak of what is visually off and not how dimensionally off they are, but they were the main detractors for it being a stand out replica for me. Well, those and the plastic body that had no actual crackle paint.

Still a fun piece. Great for Cosplay and it looks the part in many respects.

willbrooks1989

Quote from: Terrasolo on Mar 03, 2019, 01:37 pm
Hello Will! I greatly appreciate you sharing this information with us as it does help create the timeline for the button frame going missing. I have amended the article, mentioned your name - whichI hope is olay, and have submitted for the downloadable file to be replaced. Thank you again for contributing! This is what makes the fan community great!

Happy to help - it was such a brilliant read!

W

Terrasolo

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the ebook file has been updated with new information on the Wide Slider Aztec and the Intermediate Sonic. A new link is provided in the original post but I'll add it here too so that no one has to double back.

Basically, when I first released the RTD era Sonic Screwdriver ebook there was one thing nagging me about it, one missing piece; The Intermediate Sonic. Where did it come from? More specifically, where did the parts for it come from if there were only ever two Aztec sonics made by Aztec Modelmaker?

So I spent some time recently working on a theory that I had, and with the help of a couple friends, I believe that we have finally solved the mystery of the Intermediate sonic!

You see, it has bugged me for a while now that the Wide Slider Aztec was only used in two scenes in Series 3. Even more so because those scenes were within the same episode. But what if it wasn't used in those two scenes? If that were the case, then there'd be no trace of the Wide Slider Aztec in Series 3 at all.

This thought got me to dig deeper into my reference material, and back through the episodes to find the truth, and once again the Grey Aztec Body solved the mystery. Well, that and the ability to search the episodes frame by frame.

To find out the results, be sure to download the revised history of the RTD sonic screwdriver. http://beyondkasterborous.com/rtd-era-sonic-screwdriver-history-free-ebook/

greenpear

Terrasolo, Your research has been a welcome addition to what I had already collected filling in many of the blank spots I still had. I'm not a prop builder but a data collector and have been working on "The Sonic Compendium: Everything Sonic in The Whoverse".

Your eBooks are wonderful, detailed and concise. I am putting these works into my bibliography as my readers should know who did some major grunt work and fact-finding.

Again, hats off to your fine effort.
I'm here to collect data and make interesting subjective points of view.
 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cardinal Hordriss

As it came up in the recently active I gave this another read and two things struck me this time...

It's free! All that work and you made it freely available. Not something to be underestimated these days. With similar work on the other props you could have made a book and charged for it so thank you for the hard work and putting it out there for all.

Less profound... does anyone else read Aztec Sonic and think of a sonic with an ancient, Mesoamerican design with a heavily engraved, stone body lol?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

superrichi1a

I agree, I also gave this another read recently and really enjoyed how through a history it is, whilst still somehow being a joy to read. It's staggering how all the little pieces of information are hidden in plain sight, and the brilliant work which has gone into piecing them all together into a coherent story. Especially with a prop which had so much information spread through both official and unofficial channels for years.
I think particularly impressive are the revelations surrounding the two Aztecs, as you mention. The fact that there were two, nearly identical, and one kept getting changed? Nightmare!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Terrasolo

Quote from: greenpear on Oct 01, 2019, 02:05 am
Terrasolo, Your research has been a welcome addition to what I had already collected filling in many of the blank spots I still had. I'm not a prop builder but a data collector and have been working on "The Sonic Compendium: Everything Sonic in The Whoverse".

Your eBooks are wonderful, detailed and concise. I am putting these works into my bibliography as my readers should know who did some major grunt work and fact-finding.

Again, hats off to your fine effort.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I'm glad to be of help. This hobby and community has always been about sharing the knowledge for me, so I'm glad to see that appreciated.

greenpear, where are you doing your sonic compendium? At the very least, if you use information from my write ups, I would appreciate a mention and a link to the original works. But I'd be curious to see what you're working on.

Terrasolo

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Oct 01, 2019, 05:07 pm
As it came up in the recently active I gave this another read and two things struck me this time...

It's free! All that work and you made it freely available. Not something to be underestimated these days. With similar work on the other props you could have made a book and charged for it so thank you for the hard work and putting it out there for all.

Less profound... does anyone else read Aztec Sonic and think of a sonic with an ancient, Mesoamerican design with a heavily engraved, stone body lol?

This is an interesting concept. The Doctor takes most of his fashion sense from the western world, but what if the Doctor landed withing a different culture on Earth for his first trip and was inspired by actual Aztec designs? That would be a fun what if story.

Cardinal Hordriss

Well writers these days think the series has to be anchored in present day UK for people to latch on to it... didn't seem to hinder the success of Lord of the Rings...
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Terrasolo

It was March 2019, when I released my first rendition of this Sonic Screwdriver history. There were a few updates that would follow soon after, as more facts kept presenting themselves. Although there were still some mysteries, and these mysteries would continue to haunt me for a while now. I felt that I may have to accept that the how's and why's were just lost to the universe. Or, so it would only seem at the time. With each new update, as I - or one of my fellow contributors - noticed something new, the mysteries seemed to slowly fade away. Not all of them, but enough to satisfy me. For a while, at least.

Since my last update back in August of 2020, I've filled in more of the blanks, but neither had the time, nor the motivation, to get them out to the world in yet another update to the PDF. So they sat on a shelf in my brain, waiting for motivation to strike.

For sometime now, James Sutton - known to many of you as Scarecrow Props - and I have had quite a few chats about props. He's got quite the extensive library of screen used prop knowledge, and together we were learning little facts here and there from each other, all in the name of fun. No projects, just two friends enjoying the hobby of prop replicas.

Then, in October of this year, James and a colleague of his known as Sonicbolt Props, made a fantastic discovery, and then they reached out to me. This discovery lead to more chats, speculation, and fact finding between us. Suddenly, motivation struck! All those facts that I had banked for a later date, together with the facts from James and Sonicbolt, needed to get out to the world; and so it was finally time to regenerate The RTD Era Sonic Screwdriver: A Compiled History PDF.

As is always the case with the quest for knowledge, there is usually something new to discover. And thanks to the continued efforts of those listed in this document, I truly believe that this update is the most comprehensive history of the the RTD era Sonic Screwdrivers to date.

I would like to take this time to thank all of you who have downloaded the previous PDFs, all of those who have reached out to talk with me about them, and all of those who put the knowledge to good use in their own replicas. I hope this file will be just as appreciated as the last, and that this hobby continues on the healing path of fun, and sharing the knowledge. Leaving egos behind, and realizing that this isn't a competition, but a community that shares a love for the same show.

Thank you.

Enjoy the read,

Brian A Terranova

https://kasterborous.co.uk/the-rtd-era-sonic-screwdrivers-october-2021-edition/

The RTD Era Sonic Screwdriver October 2021 a.jpg

Angelus Lupus

New knowledge? Ooh, looks like I've got some fun reading to do!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Terrasolo

UPDATE 11/4/2021 - New information has come to light and the October 2021 Edition has now been replaced with a November 2021 Edition. So sorry to have you download a new copy so soon, but it seemed big enough to warrant the update.

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: Terrasolo on Nov 04, 2021, 02:34 pmUPDATE 11/4/2021 - New information has come to light and the October 2021 Edition has now been replaced with a November 2021 Edition. So sorry to have you download a new copy so soon, but it seemed big enough to warrant the update.
In which case, I simply reiterate my previous post!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

LeoCor

I always enjoy giving these a read, and this update does not disappoint! The amount of detail in them is absolutely astounding! It really helps to see all the differences in these sonics, so I can both modify my own prop, and begin collecting really proper, high-end replicas.

Top notch work, as always!  ;D

Terrasolo

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Nov 02, 2021, 12:28 pmNew knowledge? Ooh, looks like I've got some fun reading to do!

Quote from: LeoCor on Nov 08, 2021, 09:51 pmI always enjoy giving these a read, and this update does not disappoint! The amount of detail in them is absolutely astounding! It really helps to see all the differences in these sonics, so I can both modify my own prop, and begin collecting really proper, high-end replicas.

Top notch work, as always!  ;D

Thank you both for saying so! I'm glad that this can be of help to others, as well as being an interesting read. It was a lot of fun to renew this file, and all of the new information just gets us closer to completing the puzzle of these props. I honestly love this sort of work.