May 12, 2021, 05:08 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


The 1996 Film Sonic aka the McGann MK 1

Started by greatwazoo42, Dec 18, 2010, 05:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Terrasolo

Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 27, 2019, 04:08 pm
Quote from: greatwazoo42 on Dec 18, 2010, 05:54 am

dw36.jpg


I do believe this is a picture by Rob Semenoff and not of the actual prop/props


I don't believe that this photo is Rob's. It's been posted on the BBC site for years. I have a version of it as old as 2003 on my computer, and that was just when I started saving the files on my computer vs printing them.

mycroft

Hi, I like the idea of a go to place for all things Sonic & I'm sure can be updated should any new information is discovered (surely there can't be can there?) as for my collection, it's very humble. Years ago I had a wooden Baker Sonic that my dad made me based on the drawings in the TARDIS manual book produced back in the JNT days, but alas I lost it in various moves :( I got into them again when the series came back in 2005. I really liked the 9/10 Dr version & bought a WC remote. Later I was then was bought the 11th Dr's WC (though I'm not a huge fan of that model). That's the last new version of the Sonic I have as I disliked the versions for 12&13th Dr's. Recently I bought a whistle, (as seen in the Fury) the trigger grip for Dominators Sonic (need to find a bit of metal tubing to fit)  & have a penlight that I posted up here recently to clean & try to adapt for a fair copy of the War Games penlight. Though I am waiting for updates on the end caps to be made on shapeways, or by anyone else, so please keep us posted if you hear of anything being made. I am also seriously considering getting a 4th Dr's Sonic by Rubbertoe. Oh I also have a CO War Dr's sonic, which is probably my only screen accurate Sonic so far!:) Small steps but it's a start.

davidnagel

Mar 28, 2019, 08:37 am #32 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2019, 08:38 am by davidnagel
Quote from: Terrasolo on Mar 28, 2019, 12:19 am
I don't believe that this photo is Rob's. It's been posted on the BBC site for years. I have a version of it as old as 2003 on my computer, and that was just when I started saving the files on my computer vs printing them.


Whomever's it is, I'm convinced its CGI and not a photo of the real bag. There are alot of other give aways but that would probably need a full on breakdown. And don't forget, sorry Rob, Rob has been around for years as well! He ain't a new comer :D
Kind Regards,

David

www.spiffinglyniceguy.co.uk

Kingpin

Where's this belief come from that the shot of the TVM tool bag is CGI/not photographed from the actual props?

davidnagel

Quote from: Kingpin on Mar 28, 2019, 09:12 am
Where's this belief come from that the shot of the TVM tool bag is CGI/not photographed from the actual props?


My belief comes from my memory that this picture appeared on a WHO3d website a very long time ago.
Plus the giveaways that its CG.

Of course I want to be proven wrong, then it'll stop annoying you all ;)
Kind Regards,

David

www.spiffinglyniceguy.co.uk

Terrasolo

Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 28, 2019, 08:37 am
Whomever's it is, I'm convinced its CGI and not a photo of the real bag. There are alot of other give aways but that would probably need a full on breakdown. And don't forget, sorry Rob, Rob has been around for years as well! He ain't a new comer :D


This is not a CGI photo. It's actually from the production of the film. You may have seen someone's recreation of it, but this one is real.

Terrasolo

Quote from: mycroft on Mar 28, 2019, 07:37 am
Hi, I like the idea of a go to place for all things Sonic & I'm sure can be updated should any new information is discovered (surely there can't be can there?) as for my collection, it's very humble. Years ago I had a wooden Baker Sonic that my dad made me based on the drawings in the TARDIS manual book produced back in the JNT days, but alas I lost it in various moves :(.....


I'm sure that some new facts will pop up from time to time. Fans are very observant and new reference material has a way of coming to light, new details, etc. But for now, I feel that we have a very good history. I don't believe that anyone's collection actually needs to follow a completest theme though, so only collecting the ones you like is all that really matters. Like I said, I have a list of sonic items that I personally don't need in my collection. But as for the Doctor's Sonic Screwdrivers, I'll probably collect them all. Even though, like you, I have my least favorites; Smith's being one of them.

Volpone

Mar 28, 2019, 03:41 pm #37 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2019, 03:42 pm by Volpone
My laborious 5 minutes of Googling couldn't find the broadcast opening and the resolution in this clip isn't the best, but apart from the even moodier lighting and the sonic laying at an opposite angle in the box, 1:51 of this clip is nearly identical to the above photo:  
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Kingpin

Mar 28, 2019, 08:03 pm #38 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2019, 08:05 pm by Kingpin
sonic-5739a63d.jpg
b949370b671120bb60d65092624842d1.jpg

rob49152

Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 27, 2019, 04:08 pm
I do believe this is a picture by Rob Semenoff and not of the actual prop/props


Thanks, but this photo had nothing to do with me.

davidnagel

Quote from: rob49152 on Mar 30, 2019, 01:00 am
Quote from: davidnagel on Mar 27, 2019, 04:08 pm
I do believe this is a picture by Rob Semenoff and not of the actual prop/props


Thanks, but this photo had nothing to do with me.


It was either you or Cliff Bowman. In the early years of Who3d I sort of mixed you all up...
Kind Regards,

David

www.spiffinglyniceguy.co.uk

KIT-KAT

zz22749.jpg

I believe this is the prop now
No, not the mind probe!

Volpone

They really put a lot of fan service into this movie.  I have a copy of the Doctor Who roleplaying game on my bookshelf and, along  with the sonic screwdriver, it has a lot of other Timelord tools in it.  Only on rewatching old episodes did I realize they weren't just dreamed up by an artist and the game designer, they were actual props from the show.  And they're all in this toolbox--along with what appears to be, maybe, the 2nd Doctor sonic. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

mycroft

Alas no, I think that's wishful thinking, as I discovered via the Zeroroomblog,  the ID of the 2nd Dr's Sonic wasn't discovered until 2012 thanks to a RPF member called Straker (is he still around does anyone know?). Here's the link.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/second-doctors-sonic-screwdriver.89127/page-2

Kingpin

Quote from: kitkat123 on Mar 31, 2019, 11:37 pm
zz22749.jpg

I believe this is the prop now


The wear and tear around the lock appears to match with the screen shot and production photo.