Apr 18, 2024, 03:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mystery Tardis Model?

Started by markofrani, Feb 22, 2019, 03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

markofrani

Feb 22, 2019, 03:11 pm Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 11:36 am by markofrani
In 2004 a Tardis model was auctioned by Christies. The model was cited as being the one built by Shawcraft in 1965 for The Daleks' Master Plan episode: 'Volcano'.
The more I've looked into this, the more I believe that this is NOT the model that was used. This auction model was in existence at the BBC as it featured in a 1971 documentary about TV Centre - included as an extra in the 'Mind Of Evil' DVD. The problem is I cannot find a single shot of this model being used in the series apart from the opening title sequence later on in the seventies...

Here's the auction listing and images...
Auction Tardis model.jpg
550px-2005-10-12_Daily_Mirror.jpg
Auction Tardis model_TB.jpg
5809284d91001.preview.jpg

The auction model used in the title sequence...
001.jpg

The auction model in 1971...
P1.jpg P2.jpg

And here's my comparison of the Shawcraft model and the auction one. Any thoughts?
Auction v Shawcraft2.jpg

Kingpin

The most glaring differences to me are the window frames, the panels, and the Police Box signs - the window frames are much thinner, and the panes wider on the 2004 auction model, the signs don't look handwritten like the ones on the Shawcraft model, and the panels on the 2004 auction model look more square than the ones on the Shawcroft TARDIS.

The 2004 auction model is definitely not the one featured in the title sequence.

markofrani

Feb 22, 2019, 07:58 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2019, 08:01 pm by markofrani
Quote from: Kingpin on Feb 22, 2019, 05:26 pm
The 2004 auction model is definitely not the one featured in the title sequence.

Really? I'm surprised at that. That to me is the only thing that seems to match.
The lamp was obviously added for the title sequence but everything else seems like it could be the auction model.
That would be a worry for the person who paid over 10K for the model...

Here's the model used on record sleeves etc...
Who Is The Doctor_Auction Model.jpg

Auction model on record.jpg

mycroft

If you look the 'police public call box letters dont stretch to the ends of the frame as in the one used for the title sequence. I thought the one in the title sequence was a photo of the Hartnell prop.

fivefingeredstyre

The box used on the record sleeve is definately the one used in the title sequence. The biggest giveaway being that the sign box lettering is out of alignment with the P being slightly raised in comparison to the rest of the text. It's like it on both the sleeve/record photo and the title picture. The photo used on the sleeve looks to me as being the same photo used in the titles...

The auction model doesn't seem to have this feature; however this could just be down to the side that has been photographed. The rest of the box seems to match though. I've got a couple of other small photos of the auction box somewhere, I'll dig them out and post them for comparison.

I'm sure we had the same discussion in the mid 2000's and we identified the box as being the one in the titles.

The Shawcraft box centre divide doesn't extend all the way through the sign box steps like the auction box version does. It's clearly not the same box (although by complete coincidence it was used on the Theme music single cover in the early 70's).

Which model was used during the materialisation sequence in the Curse of Peladon?

mverta

It may be the same photo being recycled, but the title sequence image is the same one seen on the record sleeve and record itself.  100%.  There are numerous identical, correlative points and features.

mycroft

OK, I got a mate who is on twitter to ask Clayton Hickman, who knows all things TARDIS props. This is what he said when asked what model was used.

''A side view of the 1:5 scale model built in 1965 for 'Volcano' with roof & lamp cut off & a big blue lamp drawn on. The photo sans blue lamp was used as the cover for the 80s Australian release of JP's 'Who Is The Doctor' single.''

So the question is, is it that model & let's have a look at the side view.

markofrani

Feb 23, 2019, 11:24 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2019, 09:43 am by markofrani
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Feb 23, 2019, 07:29 am
Which model was used during the materialisation sequence in the Curse of Peladon?

The 'Curse Of Peladon' model was said to have been made by VFX designer Ian Scoones. However on closer look, it appears that the Shawcraft smaller model was again pressed into service for the close-up shots of the Tardis tilting on the edge. The Scoones model was a smaller scale version for dropping down the cliff face...

Here's what I believe to be the Shawcraft close-up.
d3-3m-056.jpg
Peladon sequence 1.jpg

And then here's the smaller scale Ian Scoones model. Note the different scale rock backgrounds between the two...
Peladon sequence 3.jpg
This model was also used in Carnival of Monsters...
COM2.jpg
COM1.jpg
... and The Time Monster....Time Monster Model Shots 08.jpg

markofrani

Feb 23, 2019, 11:33 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 11:44 am by markofrani
Quote from: mycroft on Feb 23, 2019, 10:19 am
So the question is, is it that model & let's have a look at the side view.

OK, here we go...
The side view of the Shawcraft from 1965.
Note the centre divide on the sides, goes through ALL the stepped edges up to the sign box, unlike the auction model. This correlates with the BBC plans for 'The Romans' 1:3 scale model. Also, the recessed panels are bevelled, unlike the auction model.
V-09_Shawcraft1-6 scale model.jpg

Here's the title sequence again...
001.jpg

They don't seem to match to me...

mverta

Those are not the same model.  The bases are different; the sign boxes are different widths; the sign box lettering insets are different; the posts/post caps are different, the center divider strips are different; the windows are different aspect ratios.  Those two photos have nothing in common.

fivefingeredstyre

Got to agree with Mike on this, the model used in Volcano looks like a totally different model. I'd have said the signage may vary depending on which side is photographed; however structural items like the post caps are a dead giveaway.

ThymeLorde

I've been looking into this box a little bit, and I'm seeing a couple of characteristics that seem to be shared with it and models used throughout the series. I haven't found much, but looking at stills from The Web Planet, The Tomb of the Cybermen, and The Dominators, it looks (to me at least) like the same model we're discussing here.

xteriorwithstjohnsbade.jpg

TARDIStomb.jpg

This photo from Tomb is the best I could find, and it appears to have the center divide cut through the door steps, just as the mystery model.

tardis (2).jpg
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

Kingpin

My apologies, I got it into my head that the TARDIS on the right was the title sequence one:

Auction v Shawcraft2.jpg

markofrani

Feb 23, 2019, 08:25 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2019, 08:29 pm by markofrani
Quote from: ThymeLorde on Feb 23, 2019, 05:33 pm
This photo from Tomb is the best I could find, and it appears to have the center divide cut through the door steps, just as the mystery model.
tardis (2).jpg

All these images are of the other model that Shawcraft built. This was the larger 1:3 scale version that was used right up to the Tom Baker era...
Here are the two models at Shawcraft...
011.jpg

It was initially built for 'The Romans' when the Tardis is balancing on a precipice...
Here are the BBC plans supplied to Shawcraft...

The Rescue Design Drawings-1.jpg

ThymeLorde

Feb 23, 2019, 09:06 pm #14 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2019, 09:09 pm by ThymeLorde
Quote from: markofrani on Feb 23, 2019, 08:25 pm
All these images are of the other model that Shawcraft built. This was the larger 1:3 scale version that was used right up to the Tom Baker era...
Here are the two models at Shawcraft...

It was initially built for 'The Romans' when the Tardis is balancing on a precipice...
Here are the BBC plans supplied to Shawcraft...

Ah, my mistake. Thank you for clearing that up.  :)
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."