Apr 19, 2024, 05:16 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Homing Watch

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jan 28, 2019, 08:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

I've been meaning to get around to this for a while and as I've no other projects on the go decided to make a start.

Whenever I've seen the identical watches to that worn by the third Doctor they've been too pricey but I have found all the important bits.

Because I'm putting the prop together myself I'm not certain I can make it function as a watch. It sounds simple in theory just taking the mechanism from a cheap watch of the same size but being so small and fiddly it may require someone with actual training in the field to do.

So what have I found so far...

71kxYD4b-3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400.jpg

Nothing to be done now but wait for them to arrive.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Rox

:)

Hopefully the info on the other thread helped. :)

I saw those listings, but sadly no funds right now.  There was a non-working Cimier that didn't sell at £90 the other day.

As long as you're not worried about the two non-winder buttons, you should be able to find a movement which will fit the case.  Just look for an R Lapanouse movement, or one of the same size, and it should fit in the case.  Really, you only need the time element to work, the two Chronostop dials just need fake hands really.

You can look for a Cimier, Globa, Webster (like your dial), Exactima, etc movements.  Should be relatively simple.  There are lots of cheaper movements, especially if you want a proper ticking watch. Otherwise, a cheap quartz watch would do the job too.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.  :)

My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Cardinal Hordriss

Jan 29, 2019, 02:21 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2019, 02:27 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
Small world. They were open to best offers too so I saved quite a bit in the end.

Putting in a little electric mechanism should be simple enough but putting the hands in place I'm going to struggle with as it's very small, fiddly work and I haven't got very steady hands.

I did wonder if a watch repair place might do it. There must be some where they have to replace the entire mechanism.

Once the case and face arrive and I know precisely what size I'm working with then I'll start looking at the interior gubbins.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Rox

It's very possible a watch repair guy will have movements for sale.  :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Rox

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks, I'll keep my eye on that.

I was also hoping a watch repair place would do the installation too as that's the bit I'm going to struggle with the most. Some small businesses take pity when you explain it's a Doctor Who prop for your collection lol.

I had considered going in a different direction... If I'm unable to install the mechanism, do the hands and make it work I could always put in a dummy or some other little piece of something that implies functionality. It would be great if I could get it to work and then actually wear it and use it... as a watch that is not a homing device.

Rox

Jan 29, 2019, 06:34 pm #6 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2019, 06:34 pm by Rox
If you get the right movement, they literally just slip inside the casing.  :)

As you have the right face and case, I reckon you'll get the whole lot with a bit of patience.  Looks like the movements were quite common.

Removing and replacing the face on the same style movement should be a simple job for the pro. :)

Good luck!

Rox

Cardinal Hordriss

That one might be a bit pricey with postage but that first one you found for me looks the part.

Cardinal Hordriss

Feb 02, 2019, 12:05 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2019, 01:05 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
The case, face and strap all arrived. Sadly the first watch place I took it too say they can't do anything with it :(

It would be a shame if it has to be a dummy.

Still other places to try. A watchmaker might be better depending on price and I suppose there's still the option of having a go myself.

Rox

I'm certain it could be made to work.  :)

Rox

Here's a link to someone who did some mods and put together their own watch.  The information may help.

https://www.instructables.com/id/I-Wanted-to-Build-My-Own-Watch/

Cardinal Hordriss

That looks useful, thanks.

I did have various go with the movement from an old watch I haven't worn in years but I must admit I did struggle because of my unsteady hands. I think I'm still going to try and find a pro who can do it but if I can't or it's too expensive then I'll definitely come back to this.

I've found a watchmaker nearby and dropped them an email so fingers crossed.

Cardinal Hordriss

Apr 01, 2019, 04:34 pm #13 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2019, 11:28 am by Cardinal Hordriss
Small update - I've got the mechanism... with another face and case so I'll probably sell off the one's I already bought at some point but definitely good news. It will need a service as it doesn't run at the moment but it's still better than paying for a scratch-built/custom movement.