Feb 01, 2019, 05:29 pm #15 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 05:30 pm by timewomble
Still going...

O%nxfpAJTs2S0pNiy5rvAg.jpg

KIT-KAT

there looking great!
No, not the mind probe!

warmcanofcoke

I'm amazed.  ;D
You know, you could make a model police box interior to fit those roundels and you could make a perspective set background with scaled roundels, lighting etc and use it as a backdrop for your skype conversations. People would think that you were talking to them from the TARDIS.

Whatever your plans, I'm loving seeing this unfold. ;)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

ciderman

Agreed. I can't tell the difference between these and the originals.

timewomble

Suggestions and advice on getting the right paint effects and finish would be greatly appreciated!

warmcanofcoke

You could add a layer / layers of wood glue, then a layer / layers of polyurethane, then start with a layer of brown , then detail that brown with support colours [copper, brown red, maroon, ...]
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

timewomble

Thanks. I'll be heat-sealing them and then adding a layer of something as a primer. I'll certainly try PVA glue. I have quite a lot of offcuts, of course, so I can test a variety of different primers, including Plasti-dip.

For the main colour, I was given an airbrush set for Christmas, so I can use that to apply a flat coating of acrylic paint, but I will also experiment with rattle cans.

I'm not sure the roundels are actually brown though. They certainly often look that way because of the lighting, but I suspect they're a flat silver, with mottling and spotting. I'm not sure how to reproduce the mottling and spotting in a realistic way.