Apr 18, 2024, 11:49 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

13th Doctor's Hybrid Sonic Screwdriver

Started by BioDoctor900, Jan 11, 2019, 10:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BioDoctor900

Hi guys,

I've been pretty quiet lately, some of it is due to Christmas and work, and some due to the lack of enjoyment at times on the forum. It sometimes comes across that people aren't that interested, and I know it's not always the case, but it's meant that I've not felt like posting for a while....

But anyway onto the build.

So ever since Character options released the 13th Doctor's sonic, and Seven20 theirs, I'd always wanted to make a hybrid of the two; A Character Options body with the electronics of the Seven20. I had been trying for months to get my friend who's partner works for the US Air base to get a Seven20 sonic so that I could do it, but with no luck. I did paint the outside to darken the sonic  as well as change the LEDs while I was waiting to get one, but I still wasn't happy. I decided to buy one myself rather than continuing to wait, and paid just under £40 for one from an American company.
While waiting for it to turn up, this turned up on YouTube... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qOi1q5z25qI

This was exactly what I was looking to do. (Be aware he waffles on a lot, and in some respects overcomplicates a few things)

The Seven20 turned up, and it is smaller than the Co, but that wasn't a bad thing, as it would make getting the electronics inside a lot easier, or so I thought... It took a lot of swearing, cutting and using the soldering iron to both resolder connections that kept snapping off the circuit board, but also to carve out parts of the CO body. Just as I got to nearly putting it all back together, the main switch snapped off the circuit board, leaving me with only the rotating emitter...

I wanted to throw it at a wall at this point, but luckily I had an American friend who said he had a spare and would send me it. So I waited for it to turn up in the post, took it apart and put it into the case. There was still a bit of tweaking to get it to fit, but finally it worked.

The original prop does have a rotating emitter, I think you don't notice it on screen so much due to the brightness of the LEDs in the sonic, but I'm much happier with it....

IMG_20181203_111733.jpg

Seven20 alongside the CO

IMG_20181203_111450.jpg

Difference in lighting between the two, this is against the second release of the CO

IMG_20190111_213501.jpg

CO Second release on the left, my hybrid on the right

IMG_20190111_213937.jpg

Hybrid on the left, CO second release on the right

As much as it might not be as bright as the Second release of the CO, it does have the rotating emitter

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jan 13, 2019, 07:52 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2019, 07:56 pm by galacticprobe
Trying the embedded player in this topic since it fits with the subject:

Okay! Got it to work! (I had to tweak the URL a bit for some reason, but at least now members can watch this from the comfort of TARDIS Builders. ;D)

And for those that want it, here's the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOi1q5z25qI.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

steve757

WoW!  That is the tiniest gear head motor I have ever seen.  It must be a pager motor with reduction gears.  This is going to be a cool build!