Mar 29, 2024, 06:46 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

dragonfrosting's 13th Doctor's TARDIS

Started by dragonfrosting, Dec 27, 2018, 11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonfrosting

Dec 27, 2018, 11:55 pm Last Edit: Dec 27, 2018, 11:58 pm by dragonfrosting
Hey everyone, I've built numerous TARDIS interiors on Roblox in the past (under my former username "Zootopia"), but this is the first one I'll be posting about on TARDIS Builders.

screencap_overhead.png
screencap_hexagons.png
screencap_entrance.png
screencap_porch.png

I've been working on my build of the new TARDIS interior since October. Much unlike my previous builds, this one is primarily made of meshes, which I made in Blender. I specifically aimed to make the placement of the mirrors ("portals") and roundels as accurate as possible. The console is still unfinished and I will eventually add the crystalline bases to the hexagons, but I've decided that it's completed enough to reveal it to the public.

The game itself is not yet playable, I have not decided a definite release date at this time but it may be open before completion of the console.

Game link: https://www.roblox.com/games/2486853677/The-13th-Doctors-TARDIS
Game intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrndtYihlLs
Reveal video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOzzmWUjGzU

dragonfrosting

Dec 28, 2018, 08:27 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 28, 2018, 08:28 am by dragonfrosting
You can check out a new GIF of the time rotor and the crystal tips moving here: https://media.giphy.com/media/zlVeoi4eJqJPbi1sjr/giphy.gif

This wraps up all the new material that I have to post today, I'll try to make consistent updates as I work on the console.

dragonfrosting

I've added the console surface panels with their rods, one of the hourglasses (they have different bases so I'll add the other one later), and the pop-up table.

console_panels.png
first_hourglass.png
popup_table.png

thescarletttimelord

This is great! Keep up the good work!
When Life Gave Me Jelly Babies, I Added Licorice.

Peter Capaldi

Time is a structure relative to ourselves. Time is the space made by our lives, where we stand together forever. Time and relative dimension in space. It means life.

dragonfrosting

Jan 20, 2019, 05:46 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2019, 08:54 am by dragonfrosting
Content-packed update!

Console

• Built the semicircle lamps found on three sides of the console

• Built the metallic "nodes" mainly appearing on the arms of the console (texture to be designed in the future)

• Built the last sets of metal rods on each panel

• Corrected the mesh of the transparent panels (probably final)

• Used Roblox materials to texture the console frame and its panels

Lighting

• Added blue lighting from the mirrors - instead of using individual point lights, there are five large surface lights surrounding the console

• Added two dim lights which illuminate the entrance wall

• Created an artificial ambient occlusion texture for the roundels which isn't immediately noticeable but improves the visual quality

• Removed global lighting, colored lights stand out slightly better and lighting should be consistent when the build is used in other games

Other

• The uppermost platform's pattern has been "converted" into a mesh, it is more accurate and more crisp in rendering; I later designed and added a bubbled overlay texture

• Implemented the mirrors' red mode as seen in Resolution

interior_view.jpg
console_view.jpg
entrance_view.jpg
red_view.jpg

dragonfrosting

Feb 03, 2019, 11:50 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019, 11:54 am by dragonfrosting
Console

• Built the primary console levers (the one to the right being the space-time throttle)

• Built the cables and their neon lights around the console

• Built the three cylindrical lamps

• Remodeled the central crystal mesh, it is no longer connected to the floor

Lighting

• Completely redid the entrance's lighting: removed daylight, added orange glow, darkened porch windows

• Console lighting is dimmer and yellower, floor elements are dimmer and less saturated

• Greatly reduced the brightness and saturation of the blue lighting

• Brightened the Police Box sign facing the interior

Other

• Added a wall to prevent being able to see the exterior (visible in the third screenshot of the previous update)

console_neon.png
lever_detail.png
entrance_dark.png
overhead_current.png

Bonus: interesting facts I've only noticed by working on this project...

• The levers have some sort of mechanical system near the base, it is best visible in Resolution when the Doctor first pulls the lever

• Only the left primary lever controls the neon lights

• The rings on the floor of the console flash during flight as of Resolution

dragonfrosting

Feb 25, 2019, 01:23 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019, 01:38 am by dragonfrosting
Hey, everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates in the past few weeks, progress is starting to slow down since it's almost done, the next update (most likely the game's release) may also be in a while.

For now, check out this video of the first gameplay demo! The change log and obligatory render are underneath it.

Additions

• Added the "chameleon circuit" (for the sake of gameplay, it's the Flight Indicator and toggles hover mode), but it's not yet complete

• Added the crystalline bases to the mirrors

• Added a couple more hexagons and mirrors

Improvements

• Totally redesigned the pillars' meshes

• "Flipped" the lights on the mirrors so that they face the same direction as the mirror

• Redesigned the texture of the pop-up table, and figured out how to add a rocky texture to it while still glowing

• Changed or removed several material textures (i.e. the console and pillar hinges)

• Modified the in-flight motion of the time rotor

• Dimmed the neon lights on the console

• Changed the color of the Gallifreyan symbols

• The lights in the floor are less buggy but will still clip at a distance

Notes

• The console controls don't have any sound effects since I haven't gotten around to looking for clean audio yet

• The control helper UI seen in the video was already added in a previous update

interior_final.jpg

dragonfrosting

Mar 15, 2019, 02:19 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019, 02:26 am by dragonfrosting
Just a small update: I've coded a particle system into the screens, I think it turned out rather nice but I'm still looking for references to make it more accurate.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5nrZ9Y2HzC6qzDkGXa/giphy.gif

(Follow the link to see the GIF, it was originally meant to be embedded but this site breaks its own image format for whatever reason.)

Beee

Nice! I love the authenticity of the scanner and the particles!
"Two wrongs don't make a left turn" - Seventh Doctor

BioDoctor900

That looks better than the screen I've been working on...

BioDoctor900

dragonfrosting

The game is open as of today! It's still not complete yet, but I will continue to add more to it in the near future.

https://www.roblox.com/games/2486853677/The-13th-Doctors-TARDIS

game_release.jpg