Apr 20, 2024, 11:27 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Door

Started by TheTinDog, Aug 19, 2023, 08:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTinDog

My first post ... and to be honest feeling a little intimidated by the awesome builds on here. :o

This was my first attempt at a 'build' of any kind... we'd moved into an old Victorian apartment and I wanted bookshelves running along one of the rooms with the door lying flush with the shelving - which meant the door leading into the room was now in a small alcove/recess.

Came up with the idea of creating a TARDIS Door using the alcove to 'imply' that the rest of the TARDIS was tucked away just out of sight. Theatrical trickery.

Tardis Door.jpg

I picked my favourite bits of various TARDIS incarnations and squeezed them in to fit the dimensions of the door, but mostly it's based on the War Doctors TARDIS, which is easily my favourite version.

The whole thing is made of layers of 3 & 5mm ply, glued and screwed together.
For the paintwork I unevenly rubbed in some old dark brown varnish I had lying around to give it a base then bought sample pots of 3 shades of blue and rubbed them in using a cloth, trying to give the impression of battle scarring.

Still don't tire of the feeling you get walking into the room through the TARDIS.
That episode in BigBang - it really does feel like that every time!
for the snark was a Boojum you see...

Rassilons Rod

Don't be intimidated! Some of us here haven't built any real world TARDISes yet...

And yours has been beautifully executed!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

russellsuthern

I think it looks brilliant!

Russell

Volpone

Indeed.  At first I thought it was just a proof of concept photoshop of what you were planning to do.  If that's how it turned out, it turned out very nice.  The illusion of it being materialzed in another room, occupying a doorway works very well. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.