News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mike Verta's s18 TY-J

Started by mverta, Nov 14, 2018, 12:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mverta

Nov 14, 2018, 12:03 am Last Edit: Nov 14, 2018, 05:38 am by mverta
I suppose it was inevitable.

Upon completion of my virtual TY-J: CG TY-J model  building a real one became a possibility.

She'll be in her Season 18 configuration - fiberglass over steel armature, with custom glass Fresnel lamp housing and antique window panes.  A few blasphemes, such as the ability for the sign boxes to light up, and the presence of a functioning Brachaki TARDIS key/lock are planned and she'll have a Meglos/Full Circle paintjob.  

Lots of details, photos, and videos to come, but let's start with the project's first acquisition: the Public Telephone seen in this blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot from Logopolis:

Logopolis_Phone.jpg

and here it is:

GPO_332L_1920.jpg

It's a 1937 GPO Model 332L, which were refurbished by the factory in the 60's to replace the lower pull-out tray with a blank faceplate, and have their braided handset cords swapped for coiled plastic ones.  This one has had its internals upgraded to work on modern systems, but is otherwise entirely original, and in beautiful condition.  Can't quite seem to get a good connection on it, though...

russellsuthern

Great phone!

Cant wait to see you build a TARDIS around it.  :D

Cheers,

Russell

ThymeLorde

Ooh, I can't wait to see the build progress! The fact that you went so far as to track down the same model of phone as used on the actual prop is a good expectation of things to come. If your physical build is anywhere near as good as your digital render, then it will be a very lovely box indeed!
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

bjones

Building two is cheaper than one :)

Bx

mverta

'twas the first thing my partner in this asked me: Do we need to be making molds?  I said, "Probably."

bjones

Very interesting!

mverta

Dec 19, 2018, 03:47 am #6 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 03:48 am by mverta
One of 4 panels/plaques has been sent to fabrication - it's being machined out of aluminum, with the various faces painted and clearcoated with automotive paint.  This particular plaque is 6" across.  

WHO_Shield_Wires.JPG

Here is the CG mock-up I created for reference:

WHO_Shield.jpg

karsthotep

Oooo that is going to be gorgeous 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

russellsuthern

Agreed.

A beautiful rendering of a classic logo!

Fantastic!!!

Russell

Kingpin

Volpone

I demand that you also have someone do it in stained glass.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

mverta

Dec 20, 2018, 11:02 am #11 Last Edit: Dec 20, 2018, 11:03 am by mverta
The handles on the S18 TARDIS were very specific - not a shape you really see anymore.  I've scoured the Earth for months, and had my best luck buying up lots of antique reclaimed ones.  

I've been trying to avoid machining them, but may not have any other choice.  The antiques I've found are usually close, but I'm not aiming for close.  Basically, if you could put the thickness of the top pair with the profile height of the bottom pair you'd have it.  

Handles1920.jpg

I'll give it another month and then just do it myself.  I know the profile/dims, it'll just be pricey.

karsthotep

What about doing a little surgery on the sets you have and combine them to make the perfect pair.   You must have a welder or shop out there that can do the work per your specs.  Cut up what you have to combine to the accurate look.  Not sure how feasible or cost saving that is compared to just machining a new pair. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

mverta

Well you can't literally put these two together and get the right thing.  It's more like they'd have to mate.  But we'll see, it's not complicated to machine, just expensive.  But this whole thing's expensive... :)

bjones

You are SOOOO letting me have my picture taken with this when it's done.

Bx