Apr 19, 2024, 11:45 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The War Doctors TARDIS Console

Started by simon83, Nov 06, 2018, 02:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

simon83

Hi all. I recently saw another members' War Doctors Tardis and fell in love. I'm hoping for a proper collection of TARDIS exteriors and interiors. And I still have my old Eccleston/ Tennant playset but having had it since I was very young, it's in pieces mostly. However, the pillars and console with a few other things surviving. I'm looking at buying another new Eccleston/ Tennant playset to have on display but am looking at some big upgrades when I do. However, for now, I'm focusing on the War Docs console since its actually fairly simple. Last night over the course of about 5 hours I managed to get the main file done. I have made a render which you can see how it looks here:
WDTC.jpg
Now while it may look a lil crude, the main focus is on the base, walls, and roof, All of which will be 3d printed. The console and pillars/ supports (Idk remember what they're called) were modeled off the actual ones I have via full-on side pics and sizes I took of them.
w96316eEr7HWAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png
You can see there how the base alone looks without the rest of it on. As you can see, I have done it in a way so that bits and bobs can fit in and attach in a simple manner. Wires and cables and etc, I am looking at adding actual lil ones when done but also looking at maybe printing them later on, not sure yet. I am also thinking of doing an opposite side ramp that could go on to the Tardis doors, something we have not seen but feel would be there. I'll keep you all updated when i get things printed and get them together.

simon83

Update. Console taken apart fully. Things gonna be painted tomorrow and shaped and etc. The biggest edit will be the the lower rings being switched around to have the bigger disk being on the top.
20181106_221703.jpg
Does anyone know how i might be able to remove the blue tint these bits have?
20181106_223959.jpg

timewomble

Quote from: simon83 on Nov 06, 2018, 10:45 pm

Not sure you can. Have you considered making a mould from them and casting a replacement in a different plastic?

ThymeLorde

Quote from: simon83 on Nov 06, 2018, 10:45 pm
20181106_223959.jpg

I don't believe you can. Which variant of the playset do you have? IIRC, the rereleased version from a year or two ago had clear plastic in place of the green plastic. The green color came from the LEDs instead. If you're really trying to get rid of the green color, you could always look on eBay for a cheap set or the console itself. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could do. I do suppose you could follow timewomble's idea of recasting the pieces, but that might be a bit of a hassle with the abundance of screw holes.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing the next update!
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

Davros Skaro

Just a quick question seeing you have dismantled yours, how do you get the top of the console? I ask this as my recently bought set has a pin in the first opening where the buttresses go in, & would love to get it apart to fix it!

Thanks in advance!  :D

Chris.
Chris.

simon83

simon83

Console rim now silvered. 20181107_152010.jpg

simon83

Anyone know some info on the LEDs and etc? Like value, etc... Im hoping to replace the current green ones to daylight white.

simon83

Rotor discs switched round. Did a lil test to see how it looks and im happy with it. Gonna be adding a new coral effect soon then hoping to replace the green leds with white ones.20181107_214449.jpg

Davros Skaro

Nov 07, 2018, 10:39 pm #9 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018, 10:43 pm by Davros Skaro
Pics of my Console top with pin:

100_0158.1.jpg
100_0158.JPG

Chris.
Chris.

simon83

Sorry to say, but i dont know. I havent taken that bit off.

simon83

Successfully been roughed up and painted and put back together again. Rly happy with the results. Will take a look at replacing the leds later on.20181109_162445.jpg

simon83

Update: ive had a wall printed and have started sanding it. Gonna be making a mould of it to cast more so its a lot cheaper.20181116_133849.jpg

ThymeLorde

This build is looking great so far! I can't wait to see the finished product!

By the way, did you end up figuring anything out for the bottom section that was still colored green?
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

simon83

Thanks! Also, Not yet. I did try a test with a day light led i have for another project and it doesnt seem to affect it that much. So the main challenge is trying to find out the LED specs so i dont put the wrong kind in.