New, New TardisBuilders!

Anyone know this box?

Started by watcher, Aug 30, 2009, 09:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

watcher

Aug 30, 2009, 09:13 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 09:32 pm by Scarfwearer
Just seen this:
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2009/08/up-close-exhibition-another-visit.html

And was wondering if anyone recognizes this TARDIS?! It kind of looks like a TPE "TV" variant, but im not an expert!

DoctorWho8

Aug 31, 2009, 01:14 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 05:14 pm by doctoriz
You are close, it's a modded TPE Movie TARDIS.
Bill Rudloff

purpleblancmange

Aug 31, 2009, 08:39 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 05:15 pm by doctoriz
Quote from: doctorwho8 on Aug 31, 2009, 01:14 amYou are close, it's a modded TPE Movie TARDIS.
Bill Rudloff

You're right there, this is the Cardiff exhibition prop that I "restored" last year for their reopening after the big refurb. 

Originally I was to have a week working on it, the plan was to build it a new base, four new posts, phone panel, the sign boxes and the lamp because the originals were totally knackered.  However, when I went to pick it up, I was told that it would be needed "the day after tomorrow" - which was not good news as technically it only gave me an afternoon and one full day to do the work... which wasn't enough time to do what I'd planned.

I ended up having to just patch up the holes, make a new base, strengthen the wafer thin cast panels and repaint it - I didn't even get the chance to add the new door furniture, though I did take some of the erroneous parts off.  As such, I didn't have time nor the inclination to photograph the process as I'd originally intended.

Here are the only pictures I took after spending several hours cutting through the rusted bolts (as a result of it being left out in the salty air on Brighton Pier a year or two earlier) and judiciously breaking the panel joins where it's been bodged together.

CardiffBayProp_restoration1.jpg

CardiffBayProp_restoration2.jpg

CardiffBayProp_restoration3.jpg

CardiffBayProp_restoration4.jpg

It was a shame, I'd have liked to have done a lot more, but c'est la vie.

DoctorWho8

Sep 02, 2009, 01:58 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 05:15 pm by doctoriz
Speaking of modded TPE Movie TARDISes, here one that appeared on a float this past weekend.  http://www.doctorwho-devious.com/news/news2009sep01.htm  Anyone wish to claim it?
Bill Rudloff

watcher

Sep 05, 2009, 06:54 pm #4 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 05:16 pm by doctoriz
Quote from: purpleblancmange on Aug 31, 2009, 08:39 am

You're right there, this is the Cardiff exhibition prop that I "restored" last year for their reopening after the big refurb. 

Originally I was to have a week working on it, the plan was to build it a new base, four new posts, phone panel, the sign boxes and the lamp because the originals were totally knackered.  However, when I went to pick it up, I was told that it would be needed "the day after tomorrow" - which was not good news as technically it only gave me an afternoon and one full day to do the work... which wasn't enough time to do what I'd planned.

I ended up having to just patch up the holes, make a new base, strengthen the wafer thin cast panels and repaint it - I didn't even get the chance to add the new door furniture, though I did take some of the erroneous parts off.  As such, I didn't have time nor the inclination to photograph the process as I'd originally intended.

Here are the only pictures I took after spending several hours cutting through the rusted bolts (as a result of it being left out in the salty air on Brighton Pier a year or two earlier) and judiciously breaking the panel joins where it's been bodged together.

CardiffBayProp_restoration1.jpg

CardiffBayProp_restoration2.jpg

CardiffBayProp_restoration3.jpg

CardiffBayProp_restoration4.jpg

It was a shame, I'd have liked to have done a lot more, but c'est la vie.

Thanks purple! That was alot more info than i was expecting!  :D
I know this box!!! My friend sent me pictures of him stood next to it when he visited the brighton who exhibition  ;D I did always wonder where if came from...

You mentioned the "wafer thin cast", but i remember in a post back on TR2 (i think i started the topic) where you stated that the TPE boxes , although thin, still were thicker than the TYJ at BBC television centre!
Is that correct?
If thats right than this box, which looks fantastic by the way so well done there!, should last a very long time if its just stood there and not constantly being dismantled then reassembled and abused like the TYJ  ;)

purpleblancmange

Sep 05, 2009, 07:53 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 05:16 pm by doctoriz
Quote from: watcher27 on Sep 05, 2009, 06:54 pm
You mentioned the "wafer thin cast", but i remember in a post back on TR2 (i think i started the topic) where you stated that the TPE boxes , although thin, still were thicker than the TYJ at BBC television centre!
Is that correct? 

This particular replica has to be the exception to the rule, the post casting (for example) was so thin that you could actually bend it like cardboard, so it was probably just a single layer of matting in there. 

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's probably a "middle generation" replica, by this I refer to the period when a new team was used to cast the various replica props, but were soon replaced for various reasons by yet another (3rd) team.

Thanks for your comments though, but it really was a bit of a mad dash, rush job - doing what you could in the given time scale factor... I doubt I'd win any medals for workmanship on it though.   :-/