Apr 18, 2024, 11:23 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

13th Doctor TARDIS Console Room

Started by BioDoctor900, Oct 15, 2018, 12:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Note how the little "holo" TARDIS doesn't match the screen prop. It's missing the little cutaways in the corner posts!

Also it would appear that if you look through the front, left and right windows from the outside, you'll be able to see into the console room.  But what if you look through the back windows? Would you just see the interior of the "box" or would they be blank?

If you saw the inside of the box, what would happen if someone standing on the console room threshold stuck their arm out towards the front door at the height of the windows? Would someone looking through the back windows see the inside of that person's arm?

I realise these are "in story" questions, not prop questions. I'll get my coat...

Scarfwearer

I think the 'dimensional bridge' between the Tardis exterior and interior has never made a lot of sense from a physics point of view. Consider the previous version and ask yourself where the light from the windows was supposed to be coming from: why the front windows were brightly lit yet the Tardis interior was fairly dark (and orange), yet in The Girl Who Waited we could see Amy through them. And why were the side and back windows lit at all?

It's just one of those mysteries. This latest version is non-sensical in a new way but arguably no worse that what the show started with in 1963.

ThymeLorde

Oct 16, 2018, 02:38 pm #17 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018, 02:39 pm by ThymeLorde
Quote from: lorisarvendu on Oct 16, 2018, 10:29 am
Note how the little "holo" TARDIS doesn't match the screen prop. It's missing the little cutaways in the corner posts!

Well, actually the notches are there. They're just not very prominent. They're completely invisible when the "holo" TARDIS is spinning, but when it's still, you can sort of make out the notches in the posts.

3898F3C0-7E7F-4A61-95C3-C30A2DA1D61E.jpegFB3B46C3-D5E6-4A7A-93DC-A8B95DBCF679.jpeg
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

Angelus Lupus

Oct 16, 2018, 02:41 pm #18 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2018, 02:42 pm by Angelus Lupus
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Oct 16, 2018, 11:21 am
This latest version is non-sensical in a new way but arguably no worse that what the show started with in 1963.

I think this quote can be applied to just about any change to Who over the years!  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: darren79 on Oct 16, 2018, 10:52 pm

DpndL95XoAEOfjm.jpg

DpndSJRX4AAvhMu.jpg

This looks like a mirror, with a partially frosted surface, El-wire light box. and oh mighty Zarquon I hope that cascade of hexagons thing is store bought ... modeling that may be tricky.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Oct 16, 2018, 09:37 am

FB_IMG_1539682813969.jpg

I'll be really surprised if this isn't a toy you can buy by the spring.

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

watcher

Lots of details in this vid of the new console!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLc-Yauepo

I'll leave it to someone else to take screen grabs from it cause I'm rubbish at that lol

I can identify one component though, a "Watts & Sons" tribrach from an old theodolite. I think we have one here at work somewhere...

timewomble

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 17, 2018, 10:26 am
This looks like a mirror, with a partially frosted surface, El-wire light box. and oh mighty Zarquon I hope that cascade of hexagons thing is store bought ... modeling that may be tricky.

Yes, an infinity mirror. Nicely done, too! Might be EL tape instead of wire. The rings are probably frosted on the face pane but the center cylinder has some depth to it, so probably a frosted cylinder of glass or plastic.

I assume the cascade of hexagons is simply six angled panes of ribbed glass or plastic.

darren79

The police box porch for the interior where you step out of the back is rather strange.

I think they've done it for practical location filming reasons. Michael Pickload's design used a porch - with the ribbed tubing on the walls of the interior of the box and inside the console room. It's just a different way of bridging the two sets visually - they don't have to shoot around you seeing through the door as much.

Unlike Pickwoad's interior which was designed and engineered very practically so that it was totally self contained with practical lighting etc - this new set is very theatrical with areas leadings off into darkness.

The roundel/hexagon design is rather Celtic looking with the inter-linking shapes.

It doesn't seem to be a set that allows for wide shots as there's too much in the way. Those plastic hexagon panels around the console made the one shot rather awkward.

It's growing on me as I really wasn't taken with the leaked image but properly lit (or unlit:)) it's very atmospheric and there's a nice sense of depth. I don't think it will translate well to being brightly lit (as that concept art shows!!).

diordnas52

Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Oct 15, 2018, 11:08 pm
bbcdoctorwho.jpg

The stuff in between the panels looks a lot like adjustable shower tubing, with fluorescent lights attached.
[noimg]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71WFnShayzL._SX425_.jpg[/img]
You can see the tubing in quite a few images.

-Diordnas

timewomble

Quote from: timewomble on Oct 17, 2018, 01:54 pm
I assume the cascade of hexagons is simply six angled panes of ribbed glass or plastic.

Actually, I take that back. The corners are curved and it looks like one single piece.

galacticprobe

Oct 18, 2018, 08:44 pm #26 Last Edit: Oct 18, 2018, 08:46 pm by galacticprobe
D, your image of the tubing close-up didn't come through for some reason, but the link did. So I grabbed the image for you:

71WFnShayzL._SX425_.jpg

Also, in that image of the console from BioDoc's quoted post, as my cats often say...

The floor is lava!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

thecloisterbell

So I think I've got a part ID, or at least a partial one anyway. It's of this bit here:

Tardis 011.jpg

Near as I can tell it's one of these:

large_thumbnail_1959_0212__0001_.jpg

This is what I meant by partial; it's definitely not this one, but I think it's a version of it. It's called a field regulator, and this particular model is from the first half of the 20th century. The one that's closest to the one on the console, that I could find, is this:

large_1966_0051_0001__0001_.jpg

Perhaps a line of investigation?

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: ThymeLorde on Oct 16, 2018, 02:38 pm3898F3C0-7E7F-4A61-95C3-C30A2DA1D61E.jpeg
That part of the console really needs to get broken off at some point soon...