News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mr Sin

Started by russellsuthern, Sep 21, 2018, 10:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Sep 21, 2018, 10:34 am Last Edit: Sep 21, 2018, 12:26 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all.

So, I have just finished with "Robots of Death" & now I come onto "The Talons of Weng-Chiang."
It's just one classic after another!
Can anyone deny that this is the golden age of Dr Who?!

My first project is going to be to make a Mr Sin model.

sin3.jpg

Mr Sin is one of the enduring images from "Talons".
I still remember when he's in the wicker basket & those eyes start moving on their own & you realize that he's alive!
That sent me scuttling behind the sofa & no mistake!

The prop itself is really a costume & a prop, because designer, Jim Acheson made two Mr Sins. One was the costume that actor Deep Roy wore & the other was a model that Greel & Chang could carry around, presumably because it was lighter & easier than carrying the actor around. The prop was definitely a bit smaller than Roy's costume as you can see when the two are pictured together:

sin4.jpg

"Evil Sim Robot!"  ;D Priceless- I love it! Those Sims get everywhere!

The mask was papier mache, which I'm quite good at using, so I reckon It's something I can have a good crack at.

From what I can gather, Deep Roy's costume is now missing.
The "dummy" prop was displayed at Longleat & the Blackpool Dr Who Exhibition, then was purchased by a private collector sometime in the 80's.

I hope he is enjoying it, as that is a great piece to own!

These are the last pics I could find of the prop.

sin14.jpg

sin15.jpg

You can see how small it is, that it has yellowed with age & that someone has given it a rather rough touch-up paint job.

Anyway, can't wait to get stuck into this iconic prop!

Ps: If anyone has any other good reference pics to add to this thread, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Here's a couple more pics I managed to find:

sin5.jpg

sin6.jpg

Cheers,

Russell

The14thDr

These aren't terribly great quality, but I did find a couple of images showing Mr. Sin's full body:
85BF4886-8D8C-4091-8274-3BABBF28FF5F.jpeg
62D7ABFE-DDDD-4C57-95F5-1517B64B580B.jpeg

I hope they may be of some help.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

russellsuthern

Thanks, 14th!

They'll be really useful.

I was wondering about the length ratios between his socks, trousers & tunic, so that has been a great help.

Nice work!!

Cheers,

Russell