Apr 19, 2024, 05:42 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

'Orient Express' Lab Scanner

Started by The14thDr, Sep 18, 2018, 03:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Sep 18, 2018, 03:16 pm Last Edit: Sep 27, 2018, 04:32 pm by The14thDr
I really liked the design of this prop and it's been on my build wish-list for a while, so I thought I'd start a reference topic in the hopes that it will be useful to someone else.

First of all, I should probably apologise for the quality (or lack thereof :P) of the following screencaps. I watched the episode in HD when taking them, but by the time I'd cropped away everything else to leave just the prop itself, most of them ended up being really low quality.
lab_scanner_1.png
lab_scanner_2.png
lab_scanner_3.png
lab_scanner_4.png
lab_scanner_5.png
lab_scanner_6.png
lab_scanner_7.png
lab_scanner_8.png
lab_scanner_9.png
lab_scanner_10.png
lab_scanner_11.png
lab_scanner_12.png
lab_scanner_13.png
lab_scanner_14.png
lab_scanner_15.png

Courtesy of the BBC website, here is some official Production Artwork (including measurements!) for the prop:
p028d1mv.jpg
p028d1m9.jpg
(Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p028d23h/p028d1m9)

Although I haven't seen Mummy on the Orient Express for a few years (other than this one scene which I knew heavily featured the lab scanner), I don't remember the larger "scanning head" variant from the second (bottom) piece of concept art being used during the episode. However, the light-up scanner beam which sticks out from the front of the prop appears to be part of this same "scanning head". In fact, if you removed the cylindrical head from the second concept art like so, you can see that the prop as built is pretty much identical to the original design.
concept_art_cropped.pnglab_scanner_side.png
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

Sep 18, 2018, 06:47 pm #1 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018, 06:44 am by The14thDr
Okay, I stand corrected! The larger scanner attachment was seen towards the beginning of the episode when it was used to scan the chef's body (although on the original prop, the attachment is white as opposed to the concept art's metallic silver).
lab_scanner_16.png

While rewatching the episode I was able to get a couple more screen grabs (this time in much higher quality!)
lab_scanner_17.png
lab_scanner_18.png
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Davros Skaro

I could be very way of the mark here, but that "scanner" looks like a Nerf gun cut down, or something similar anyway!
I say this because I've seen something like this sometime ago & seeing this reminded me of it & I can't remember where I saw it either.  :-\

Chris.
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

I'm not sure... that curved handle isn't like any nerf gun I've seen before. I'll be having a look, I wouldn't mind making this or something similar.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...