Mar 29, 2024, 03:10 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Silurian Heat Ray Gun

Started by elkad, Jun 22, 2015, 02:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Jun 22, 2015, 02:42 am Last Edit: Jun 22, 2015, 02:55 am by elkad
I've had this project on the back burner for awhile. The Warriors Of The Deep Silurian Heat Ray Gun. I started off with a couple PVC pipe caps, a small wooden Christmas tree for emitter aerial & an LED sticky wall light.
DW Warriors Of The Deep 03.jpg
Silurian Heat Ray 04.JPG
Silurian Heat Ray 05.JPGSilurian Heat Ray 06.JPG

I just recently bought a heat gun & just started on the handel to this prop.
Silurian Heat Ray 07.JPGSilurian Heat Ray 08.JPGSilurian Heat Ray 09.JPG

The next thing I have to work on is the trigger & battery pack. (2 AAA batterys)

elkad

Jun 24, 2015, 07:34 pm #1 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2015, 07:38 pm by elkad
Anyone have an idea on what the trigger could be?

At first I thought it was one of those rectangle door bells, until I seen this image on TRAGICALHISTORYTOUR.

d05-6l-c461.jpg

The best I can guess, the trigger is a small rectangle block with a memory switch inside it.

Questions, Comments?

galacticprobe

Jun 24, 2015, 10:35 pm #2 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2015, 10:35 pm by galacticprobe
You got me on this one. That's not the best image of the prop. For all we know, the trigger could be a simple, small momentary push-button switch that the actor would press by just gently squeezing his hand around the handle, so it would look (on camera) like some "alien technology" was activating the weapon.

Does anyone else have more/better images of the prop where more of the handle is visible? That might show the "trigger".

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Jun 25, 2015, 02:45 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2015, 02:51 am by elkad
Maby its a painted white square push button switch. I just found one on e-bay.

mVgiEaX0LEGokKuwtkMqzyQ.jpg

If anone has the DVD of the "Warriors Of The Deep" episode & can snap any closer images than this, let me know.  ;D

elkad

Jul 17, 2015, 03:28 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 22, 2015, 02:08 am by elkad
I'm getting closer to finishing my heat ray, but there are some details I still have to work on.

DSCI0535.JPGDSCI0537.JPGDSCI0539.JPGDSCI0540.JPG

I had to drill a hole threw the handle to screw the dish to the handle. I can't use the bolt that came with the trigger button, the hole is to small to screw it on. I may have to glue it on. I'm using wood putty for the gaps, how do I smooth it out. I tried sand paper then spray painted it, but it looks like colored sand close up.

DSCI0541.JPG

I couldn't find a battery holder small enough to fit in the handle so I made my own out of wood dowel, a couple screws & some bailing wire.

two aaa batteries

DSCI0536.JPG

galacticprobe

Jul 18, 2015, 05:43 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2015, 05:43 am by galacticprobe
That's a very clever solution for the batteries. As for the sanding of wood filler, looking at the shape that you're working with, you'll need some really thin sandpaper (the sort that's usually made of plastic; it comes in different grades and used a lot in model work). You should be able to get that into the tight corners, and with the finer grits you should get a smoother finish after the rougher/medium grits have taken care of the really rough stuff.

Then try painting on a primer, fine sanding that once it's dried (possibly carefully wet-sanding it - that plastic sandpaper, or more properly "sanding film" - is made for wet or dry sanding), and then once wiping it clean applying another thin coat of primer before the final color goes on. That should give you a smooth finish. (The purpose of wet sanding is to "float" the sanded dust/grit away while sanding, thus preventing it from scratching the surface and helping to give that smooth finish ready for painting.)

I hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

So your saying, I should sand what I have, paint againg, then use a finer sand papaer, then repeat the prosess using finer & finer sandpaper till it looks right?

galacticprobe

Aug 01, 2015, 01:17 am #7 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2015, 01:19 am by galacticprobe
Pretty much. The amount of sanding and painting depends on how smooth you're trying to get. Since you said your last attempt with the wood filler, sanding and painting "...looks like colored sand close up", then definitely give it a second sanding with a finer grit, make sure to wipe it clean of all grit, and giving it another coat of the primer/paint. The finish should be smoother. If it's not smooth enough to your liking, repeat as necessary until you get the finish that satisfies you. (If you like it after two tries, then you're set for the top coat; if it takes four tries before you like how it looks, it would be your choice. Only you will know when it looks good enough to please your eye.)

Dino.

elkad

Aug 01, 2017, 05:48 pm #8 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017, 05:49 pm by elkad
Made a quick video with added FX.
https://youtu.be/FakIrY5DeVQ