May 14, 2021, 10:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Eleventh Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver

Started by Vyacheslav Talanov, Nov 05, 2017, 07:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyacheslav Talanov

Nov 05, 2017, 07:02 pm Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 12:13 pm by dw_1200
A few days ago I started working on the 11th Doctor's sonic screwdriver and this is the result :)

I started with a handle, added inserts on the ceramic part
1.png2.png

Then I made the upper cage
3.png4.png

And finally added claws, hinges and activation button
5.png

And here's the sonic in its extended position
6.png

I also tried to add some basic colours, but this isn't a final version, I'm still working on realistic textures
7.png

questwalnut

Never wear black with colour; it makes the colour look cheap and the black look boring.

galacticprobe

Nov 06, 2017, 05:10 am #2 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 05:10 am by galacticprobe
Wow, dw! That is some awesome work! The last image, with the color added, is really getting close to looking like a real 3-D object! (This looks like the Series 6 version, judging by the extended position image. Are you considering making one of the Series 5 versions, when the sonic extended all the way out and you could see all of the "core" that's normally behind the silver part, and that brass/copper ring was visible in the middle of it?)

I remember reading that they shortened the length of its extension in Series 6 because the way Matt Smith "flicked" it to the extended position put too much of a strain on the thing and it was always breaking. The shortened extension length gave the extending part less room to build up force, so it broke less. I could be wrong, but I think there was a discussion about the change somewhere on the Boards (but because I'm looking for it, of course I can't find it).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Vyacheslav Talanov

Nov 06, 2017, 12:13 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2017, 11:53 pm by dw_1200
Thank you Dino)
About the length of extension...Well, its not a problem at all since I can easily control the whole upper assembly
Sonic.png

TrixieTiger1995

Looks to me the extension length is the mid point between the planned length, 2", and the final length, 1".
TrixieTiger1995, the infrequent builder and frequent forumer.

galacticprobe

Apr 07, 2018, 07:05 am #5 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2018, 07:05 am by galacticprobe
In Series 5 the sonic extended all the way (the 2-inch extension), showing that brass ring in the middle of the green core. In Series 6 they shortened the extension (the 1-inch extension), in which the extension stopped at the brass ring in the middle of the green core. If you looked closely at the sonic when it was extended in Series 6, you could just see the bottom of that brass ring poking out below the silver arms. (It's just a sliver showing, but a close look lets you see it.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

TrixieTiger1995

What Nick Robatto tells us about this sonic prop when he made his first Rubbertoe replica, he said they shortened it from 2" to 1" during Series 5 filming and that the red button was there from 2009-2013. When he made a new prop for Series 8 he made the solid pommel but they still used the previous sonics from previous seasons so the hinge is still visible throughout Series 8.
TrixieTiger1995, the infrequent builder and frequent forumer.