Mar 29, 2024, 07:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Why is this in our garage?

Started by fjdwheat, Sep 03, 2018, 07:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

I am envious of Tardis Builders who have wives.  Not only are they the source of witty bon mots, they save all that mucking about with the tripod and the camera timer if you want to be in the photo. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fjdwheat

fjdwheat

russellsuthern

Wow!

That is one beauuuutiful TARDIS!

You've done a fantastic job!

Another superb TARDIS to join our ever-growing ranks :D

Regards,

Russell

Scarfwearer

Stunning! That's a really handsome build. And so quick! :)

Angelus Lupus

Slightly more rectangular panels, the extra roof-step and the steps above the doors.. simple things that subtly improve the Smith/Capaldi Tardis, nice!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

fjdwheat

Oct 12, 2018, 10:03 pm #51 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2018, 10:37 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Oct 12, 2018, 12:43 pm
And so quick! :)

I don't know how long it should take but I looked up when I started this build and the receipt for my first batch of lumber was dated August 18.

fjdwheat

Oct 12, 2018, 10:13 pm #52 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2018, 10:16 pm by fjdwheat
I want to thank you guys for the help during this build.  I was asking questions that may seem simple for you but I always got fantastic help and responses from so many.  I know that when I planned this build I was just looking at all the different TARDIS out there and I just picked features I liked and wrapped them up in one multi Doctor package.  If I build another, knowing what I know now, I see more subtle details that this group love about these blue boxes.  I would make it different based on construction and features of TARDIS I have grown to appreciate more.  This was a lot of fun.
Thanks.

Volpone

I'd really like to do a Metropolitan Police Box replica--not as accurate as the one Matt is building, but fairly accurate--but there's just no way I can justify the time or money right now. 

There's a story from the old series, Logopolis, where The Doctor wants to fix the Chameleon Circuit so he needs to take measurements of an actual police box.  Allegedly they were going to use the Barnett Bypass box but it was torn down weeks before shooting.  I don't know if I believe that because Met boxes are much larger than TARDISes and the TARDIS is supposed to materialize around the Met box (after first materializing next to it).  Figuring out how to make that work practically from an FX standpoint would have been challenging.  At any rate, instead they used the previous prop, redressed to look more like the (then) current prop.  I think it would be fun to do my current TARDIS, next to a Met box sized prop. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Rassilons Rod

I don't think it would have mattered from an fx standpoint.

If you look at how they did it in the finished episode, they didn't even remove the Newbery and replace it with the TYJ.

They just removed the TYJ and pulled the policeman's bike over to help sell it.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

And using Logopolis to bring this back on topic....

"I envy you your TARDIS, fjdwheat...."

Quote from: fjdwheat on Oct 12, 2018, 10:13 pm
I want to thank you guys for the help during this build.  I was asking questions that may seem simple for you but I always got fantastic help and responses from so many.  I know that when I planned this build I was just looking at all the different TARDIS out there and I just picked features I liked and wrapped them up in one multi Doctor package.  If I build another, knowing what I know now, I see more subtle details that this group love about these blue boxes.  I would make it different based on construction and features of TARDIS I have grown to appreciate more.  This was a lot of fun.
Thanks.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

davidnagel

Regards
David