Mar 29, 2024, 04:54 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

SJS-type Watch

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Aug 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

Just got this watch to be my SJS style watch...

BUT...

Should I do an insert to go over the calculator to have little readouts and things or leave it as it is?

Rare-Vintage-Casio-FTP-10-Flip-Top-Calculator-Watch-_57 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Sarah Jane Adventures - Watch.JPG
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

russellsuthern

Good question, can you do a removable insert so you can have both?

Good luck,

Russell

Cardinal Hordriss

I think so... using card. I don't know how best to cut the shapes out for the little dials though. I haven't got a very steady hand. So the effort due to issues of skill is a factor.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Davros Skaro

You could cut them out using a leather punch or wad punches!

Haven't got any pics sorry, so hope you know what I'm talking about.

Chris.
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

I'll google it ;)

galacticprobe

Aug 21, 2018, 03:53 am #5 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018, 03:53 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Aug 20, 2018, 12:35 pm
Just got this watch to be my SJS style watch...

Erm... stanky old wizzard brain already overloaded with acronyms and abbreviations asking here: "SJS"? ???

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 21, 2018, 03:53 am
Erm... stanky old wizzard brain already overloaded with acronyms and abbreviations asking here: "SJS"? ???

I assumed Sarah-Jane Smith
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Aug 21, 2018, 06:37 am #7 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018, 07:00 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 21, 2018, 06:16 am
I assumed Sarah-Jane Smith

Thank you! (Note for others: while abbreviations are good when going through a discussion, please at least go with a full name or title to clarify the subject when first starting? As is evident - at least with me - after dealing with abbreviations and acronyms for 29 years in the military, with some of those acronyms having double meaning, I can't always pull what's being referred to out of my hat.)

Seriously, there were so many times I've gone ballistic when in the military because I couldn't tell what the person sending me a memo (or e-mail once they started that) meant, especially when the context was fuzzy. What did he mean by "POC"? Sometimes he meant "Point Of Contact"; other times he meant "Privately Owned Conveyance" (when he could have just said "car"). And then there was "POV". Again, this time was he meaning "Point Of View", or "Privately Owned Vehicle" - which some morons used interchangeably with POC. I once went off so badly I threatened someone that if they didn't stop using all of those acronyms and abbreviations - which many times made their e-mails look like code - I would take the lift up to their office and render them "DOA"! (And I think we all know what DOA means. ;D)

We don't need to abbreviate everything so badly all of the time. (Though I don't blame any members for this. I blame texting. It's the bane of my existence. Even my best friend that I've known since 1970 gets to me. I mean, we went to the same school, were in the same class from 5th through 8th Grade; took most of the same classes in high school; he even went to university when I had to go into the military thanks to lack of funds. And yet, his e-mails which started out as normal letters, have degenerated to where they're almost as bad as some of those messages and e-mails I got in the military! I often tell him, in the words of Donna Noble: "That's not even a proper word!" ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

SJA is the one that gets me.
For some reason it always makes me think of St Johns Ambulance, but it could also be Sarah Jane Adventures...

Also, when people abbreviate episode titles it often leaves me scratching my head & reaching for my episode guides... ;)

Oh well....

TTFN

LOL!!

BFN

Russ

Cardinal Hordriss

Aug 21, 2018, 10:20 am #9 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018, 10:26 am by Cardinal Hordriss
I called it the SJS watch because the prop is engraved with the letters "SJS".

Also - no space for an insert, the calculator would have to come out so should I leave it as it is?

Cardinal Hordriss

I've decided to go for it.

This is it so far -

39745126_1743962055723667_948988378559283200_n.jpg

russellsuthern

Looking good!

Russ

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks. The calculator buttons were too tiny to use easily anyway.

karsthotep

Is this supposed to be a build thread or is this a Props from the shops thread.  If its a build thread then this should be moved to gadgets.  Let me know please. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Cardinal Hordriss

It has sort of become a build thread now. Sorry.