Started by oscarsgraphics, Aug 17, 2018, 03:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelus Lupus

Ok, I think there's some confusion...

I think you're referring to the things I've circled in blue:

Rani Tardis 29_zpshf2fqg7z.png

Which do look like frisbees now that you've mentioned it:

Rani Tardis 04_zpsuxpkdzpu.jpg

And I'm referring to the things in red (one of which is hinged forward for The Rani to look at) and looks more like a speaker:
Rani Tardis 30_zpsonjipfkh.jpg
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

oscarsgraphics

They certainly look like frisbees. Does this make life a little easier...it sure does. I know Poundland (like the 99c store) sells cheap ones which means collecting parts can begin without spending shed loads of money. 2FE2EE16-0817-4A3D-94A7-9799BBAFD30E.png

galacticprobe

Aug 20, 2018, 04:53 am #17 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2018, 05:04 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Aug 19, 2018, 02:43 pm
And I'm referring to the things in red (one of which is hinged forward for The Rani to look at) and looks more like a speaker:
Rani Tardis 30_zpsonjipfkh.jpg

Looking closely at this excellent close-up of that "speaker-esque" viewer/monitor thingy, seeing those two screws in the center make me think this was made from something other than a speaker. The shape of the concentric sections is also a bit off for a speaker cone.

At least to my stanky old wizzard eyes, this looks like it could have been made from three sizes of plastic "dinner plates" (dinner plate, salad or soup bowl, desert bowl) with the center cut out of the large and mid-sized ones. The smallest inner one is intact and even looks like a small desert bowl or soup cup shape-wise. The outer rims of each plastic plate could have been glued to the back of the larger ones. Then the screws through the inner one could be holding it in place on the mechanism.

As for the shape of those "frisbees", they could also be made from the salad bowl (center cut out) and the desert bowl (glued in place from the inside so the rim doesn't show). They're domed enough with that same flat spot on the bottom as the center "bowl" on the speaker-esque viewer above.

I hope some of this makes sense, and offers another option for finding bits to make these. (Poundland - and US Dollar stores - should sell packs of those dishes and bowls so just 3 quid (or bucks - depending on which side of the pond you're on) you could get enough of those plates and bowls to build all of these things on the entire console.

I hope some of this babbling is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Angelus Lupus

Aug 20, 2018, 02:43 pm #18 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2018, 02:44 pm by Angelus Lupus
Well -  this could be one of those "myth that's been repeated enough times" things - but, similar to the frisbee recollection, I swear I read that those were speakers. Was it tardiswiki, or the old BBC classic Who pages? not sure.
Of course, now I'm doubting my recollection - or the validity of the source. Anyone know any leads for finding out the construction of this (very nice) console?

lespaceplie

I have no proof, but I'm reasonably certain both the concave 3-disc and the convex 2-disc pieces were simply vacuum formed over a turned clay or plaster buck. They're even from the same former. The 2-disc pieces were trimmed down from the 3-disc shape.

The easiest way to map out the surface controls in an actual build is to work from the flattened panel that forms the cone.

I never finished drawing this, but I will add to the other thread as soon as I'm done.

Angelus Lupus

That would be a simpler solution. Occam's razor and all that...

oscarsgraphics

I'll probably implement physical switches to give it a 'what if' scenario each time the Rani would of regenerate, would her tardis also change desktop? but would remain similar but different. The hardest part will be creating a screen accurate time rotor especially with those rings. Should I compromise and create something drastically different. Homebase and B&Q will be the first port of call for materials once the design is finalised. I've got a habit of designing then going back to tweak it and tweak it, being a graphic designer it's a 'has to be perfect' mentality that I have. I appreciate the feedback this early in the planning stages, it's not going to be a rushed build but one where I'll be ultimately happy with it.

galacticprobe

Aug 21, 2018, 05:58 am #22 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018, 06:26 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Aug 20, 2018, 02:43 pm
Well -  this could be one of those "myth that's been repeated enough times" things - but, similar to the frisbee recollection, I swear I read that those were speakers. Was it tardiswiki, or the old BBC classic Who pages? not sure.

Doubt can be a good thing. It makes you think a little more before jumping into the fray (and something I've been working on for myself lately: thinking a little more before jumping in, that is). That said, from what I've heard of the TARDIS wiki, it's far less reliable than Wikipedia (which is getting better as time goes on). I remember hearing from one person (can't remember who, though), that they'd gotten "banned" from the TARDIS wiki for adding that the BBC had released their official "13th Doctor Reveal Video", gave the link, and said Jodie Whittaker was the 13th Doctor. (And after the banning that added info was deleted.) I've also seen some blatantly "in your face" wrong info on that wiki many times, and used their "If you find anything that's incorrect, please let us know so we can fix it" link to let them know, citing my references which include the official BBC web site, only to have my input ignored.

If those large "monitors" were indeed made from speakers, rather than having two screws in the bottom, there would be two wires attached to the sides with a thick black stuff (that I've never been able to find out what it's called, other than some sort of glue), and also a bulging dome in the center which would have the magnet and coil behind it. (Take a look at any speaker, especially one of that size.) Aside from the wires - which would not be screwed in place since speaker cones are made from heavy-duty paper - and that center dome, the speaker cone would not have layers like these monitor gizmos have. Speaker cones are ribbed, but relatively smooth compared to this. Even sub-woofers aren't layered. That would have adverse effects on the sound.

So: a layered stepped recess (not a ribbed cone), screws in the bottom (not two wires "glued" in closer to the side), no central dome; ergo not made from speakers. (Or if they are, they're made from speakers I've never seen the likes of in the last 50-some-odd-years.)

Going by lespaceplie's description, I'm inclined to believe he's on the right track as the shapes are identical, just one turned upside-down with the larger, outer part trimmed off to get the "dual semi-dome" silver controls on the panels. In fact looking at it closer, if they were vac-formed as lespaceplie suggests, the shapes almost look like they could be three sizes of terra-cotta-style plant drip pans. Turn then each upside-down, glue them together in a three tier shape, and you've got your vac-forming plug. Now you can vac-form as many as you need, trim down some to get other size controls, and glue (or affix via method of choice) to the console panels and you've got your Rani console.

And if vac-forming isn't an option - you don't have the equipment or knowhow, or don't know anyone who does - then some plastic serving plates like I mentioned in my last post would serve the same purpose, though they might need a little extra trimming around the edges to remove the fancy decorations plates like that usually come with. With a little hot glue, or even regular plastic model glue, you could create those large monitor units and smaller silver domey thingies. (Note: Test the plastic model glue on one first to make sure it's not going to just eat through the plastic plate. If it does, stick with hot glue.)

Quote from: oscarsgraphics on Aug 21, 2018, 01:09 am
I'll probably implement physical switches...

This is an excellent idea! There are enough of those rectangular "controls" on this console to put some of those large wall light switches (the rocker kind) on the console. You could connect them to operate the central column, and even wire them to one of those RaspberryPis or Arduinos I see lots of people mentioning, and using each switch to trigger a different sound. And while there are no lights proper on this console, there are more than enough of those reddish rectangular controls that you can put some lights inside them and have your switches work some of those as well. (And if the BBC had the budget during this time in the show's history, I'm sure they'd have done something similar... at least with the lights; all sounds would have been added in post-production.)

But I hope this makes a little sense, and you find some of it helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

oscarsgraphics

591D9741-27CD-44A0-8FAC-D41B7A16B3B2.jpeg
Whilst doing the weekly shop I spotted these that could act as the circle control things. The big platter and then the plastic plate glued then spray painted black.

Rassilons Rod

According to the plans on *this thread - I'd put the console at 8foot diameter and the dais at "that+150mm" for the dais. The dais may also be 150mm high.

* http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2282.0
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lespaceplie

8 feet? The console is a wee thing a little under 4.5 feet in diameter (not counting Dalek bumps).

Rassilons Rod

Hmmm....  I'm just going by what I read...

Knowing you and plans I'd be massively surprised but you're not confusing diameter with radius, are you :D
Public Enema Number One.

lespaceplie

Aug 22, 2018, 04:54 pm #27 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2018, 05:08 pm by lespaceplie
Um, no.  ;D The plans only suggest the diameter of the dais in metric feet. The console isn't on them.

pdvd008os.jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

If Colin was stood upright and the console was on its side...

I'd say about 5 feet in diameter, smaller than it looks.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Rassilons Rod

Yeah... Looking at that photo, it does look smaller than the plans suggest...
Public Enema Number One.