Apr 19, 2024, 05:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Green Death Brainwashing Earphones

Started by elkad, Aug 17, 2018, 03:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Dec 27, 2018, 06:13 pm #15 Last Edit: Dec 27, 2018, 06:20 pm by elkad
I used a 3 or 3 1/2" hole saw, (I have to check to see what size hole saw I used), to make the acrylic ends for the earphones. TIP: when cutting acrylic, cut slowly, use alot of WD40 oil, & cover everything around the drill press because everything will be covered in brown acrylic snow.
(Cutting was very loud & I had to wait til my mother was out to finish. She has sensitive hearing. She can hear a fly crawling on the other side of the house sensitive.)

Brainwashing Earphones (81).jpg

It took two blocks of acrylic to make each end. I thought I could squeeze the two sides, cut in one block. Oh well.

Brainwashing Earphones (82).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (83).jpg

elkad

Dec 29, 2018, 08:16 pm #16 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2018, 08:18 pm by elkad
I was thinking of using these mayonnaise lids to twist the acrylic off for maintenance.

Brainwashing Earphones (84).jpg

To make sure I had a level acrylic I put together something to hold the acrylic & my drimel.

Brainwashing Earphones (85).jpg

That made scratches which I had to hand sand. (I should have used the sanding tool insted of a cutting one.)

Brainwashing Earphones (86).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (87).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (88).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (92).jpg

I just found out the acrylic is thicker than the light. That makes me think. Did the prop have a sunk in light to fit or was it flat on the top & sunk in the back for the nut? What do you think with this test block?

Brainwashing Earphones (93).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (94).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (96).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (95).jpg

elkad

Dec 30, 2018, 06:45 pm #17 Last Edit: Dec 30, 2018, 06:47 pm by elkad
I used a piece of scrap wood to work out making the sink hole for the lights. The first hole is all ready cut in the acrylic.
I made a campus drawn stencil to keep both holes lined up. I found you can't cut these holes freehand or the light bolt & nut wont fit level.

Brainwashing Earphones (97).jpg

What looks more accredit, the light on the top of the acrylic, or sunk in the acrylic?

Brainwashing Earphones (98).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (99).jpg

KIT-KAT

I think it looks better on top  :)
No, not the mind probe!

elkad

Jan 04, 2019, 05:24 pm #19 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019, 05:25 pm by elkad
Quote from: kitkat123 on Dec 31, 2018, 04:21 pm
I think it looks better on top  :)

Looking back at the reference images, the lights were sunk in & gave the acrylic a green glow. So, I think I go with the sunk in type.

d03-3t-c151.jpg

elkad

Jan 04, 2019, 05:34 pm #20 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019, 06:15 pm by elkad
I cut the neck off a couple Mayonnaise jars & glued them to the phones, then I glued the lids to the acrylic.

Brainwashing Earphones (100).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (101).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (102).jpg

I labeled the inside of the cap & neck. Both lid necks were a bit uneven when I cut them to fit.

Brainwashing Earphones (104).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (105).jpg

It.... looks... close.... :-\

Brainwashing Earphones (106).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (107).jpg

Time to make the outer brace.

Brainwashing Earphones (108).jpg

I should have given it more space. I cut 19", ended up with 17". I should have cut 20". More mistake room.

Brainwashing Earphones (109).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (110).jpg

What do you think of the angels. More rounding on the top? Maybe a little smaller headphone pipes?

Brainwashing Earphones (111).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (112).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (113).jpg

Lets paint these & go to the electronic & decorative pieces on the top.

Brainwashing Earphones (114).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (115).jpg

I cut sum slits in the brace & bent the tabs to fit in the earphone jack.

Brainwashing Earphones (116).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (117).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (118).jpg

The blue spacer circle is giving me trouble. Since I couldn't find any pics of the headphones on it's side & didn't know it the spacer was bent, a different shape, or maybe it was just a cut piece glued on.

Brainwashing Earphones (119).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (120).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (121).jpg

Where do I put the acrylic arches? On, or against the brace? ???

Brainwashing Earphones (122).jpg

The jack was scraping against the bolt, meaning I wasn't going to get the nut on. I looked back at the references & seen the jack was flush against the brace. So I drilled another hole & slid the blue spacer up. (I know its not blue, yet, but that's what I'm calling it for now.) I'm going to have to make another blue spacer with a longer back plate.

Brainwashing Earphones (123).jpg

elkad

Jun 23, 2019, 05:23 pm #21 Last Edit: Jun 23, 2019, 05:26 pm by elkad
Cut a hole for the wire, tape it all down, & put the second layer over the wire.

Brainwashing Earphones (124).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (125).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (126).jpg

Now for the acrylic arches. I used a hole saw & drill press. I marked both inner & outer part of the disk with the saw, then cut the inner out. Then I lined up the outer mark with the saw & cut it out. Cut the disk in half then sand. I made two encase I messed up the first.

Brainwashing Earphones (127).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (128).jpg

Now the little acrylic block under the. Am I forgetting any marking detail on the block?

Brainwashing Earphones (129).jpgBrainwashing Earphones (130).jpg

elkad