Apr 18, 2024, 06:44 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Twelfth Doctor's Guitars

Started by justsomeguy, Aug 07, 2018, 03:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

justsomeguy

Aug 07, 2018, 03:02 am Last Edit: Aug 07, 2018, 05:31 pm by justsomeguy
I really love the Doctor meditating with his guitar, partying with his guitar. And pretty much any of the bits with the guitar. Clara's song sort of kills me inside. 

He has two guitars from what I found:

a Yamaha SGV-800

guitar.jpg

and a Epiphone SG-400 Pro

anglo_1920x1080_hellbent1_kindlephoto-18425086.jpg

I found display photos of them from advertisements or the makers, scaled them down to 1 foot=1 inch and then printed them in grayscale.

Next, I used polymer clay (Sculpey) and formed the Yamaha, baked it up and here we are:

2018-08-06 21.47.35.jpg

My action figure Capaldi and his 3 1/3 guitar.

Now it needs glaze and paint (and a strap).

I am also thinking about building out the guitars for the figure out of a stacked and sort of cut/ sculpted cardstock.

These are props, so I hope this is allowed here--they are just action figured sized. If I'm not supposed to post this, please let me know, and I'll take it down.

The14thDr

Really cool!

(I think you should be good with posting this since I built a replica of the Doctor's guitar a few years ago, although this topic will probably be moved to the "other model build diaries" section since your guitars are for an action figure rather than full-size replicas.)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

lorisarvendu

I'm afraid I cheated and just searched eBay for "1/12 doll guitar"!

justsomeguy

Hmmm I didn't even THINK about that, and it looks like what I found resembles the red EPiphone (the one on which he plays "Clara").  Thanks!

lorisarvendu

What were you planning to use for a strap?

justsomeguy

I had thought elastic cord--1/4 inch so it can hold the guitar to the body as the figure really can't. The problem with clay is how fragile it is--and polymer clay doesn't easily snap per se---but  I don't want too much pressure on any one point, so I might mount the body of the guitar on a loop of elastic, so it's really the elastic pulling at itself and not creating pressure on the clay. The guitar will just attach to the loop. What do you think?

The enormous bonus of black elastic on the black guitar is that it's not readily visible there or on the figure's dark clothing. I'll monkey with it.

karsthotep

what about just using the clay as a master for a silicon mold, and then do a resin cast of it?  For something that small you could get away with smooth-ons OMOO line.   They are the most inexpensive and its easy measure,  equal parts A and B mix, pour etc.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

justsomeguy

Quote from: karsthotep on Aug 10, 2018, 12:50 pm
what about just using the clay as a master for a silicon mold, and then do a resin cast of it?  For something that small you could get away with smooth-ons OMOO line.   They are the most inexpensive and its easy measure,  equal parts A and B mix, pour etc.

What is the method you speak of?

But seriously, I'm just into making props, and haven't plunged into silcon and resin yet, but you bring up a great point that this small of a prop might be the time to go for it. Hmmmm.....

karsthotep

I'm telling you it's pretty easy, smooth-on has several videos on it. Check them out
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"