Apr 24, 2024, 02:57 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BioDoctor900's Dark Eyes Sonic Screwdriver

Started by BioDoctor900, Aug 05, 2018, 10:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BioDoctor900

So I attempted this years ago when the sonic was originally released. There wasn't a ton of reference to go off of, so I just made one that fitted around the CO interchangeable innards, but the body felt massive and the same with the top and crystal. I came across some better reference images, some from when Paul Haas taken the sonic to a con, and some from when people had made replicas (however there's still no measurements anywhere....)

I saw that the main body looked a bit like a Roman column, so I started searching for something, possibly in plastic that might do the job, but found nothing. I also tried finding a crystal that might do the job, searching for plastic ones on eBay, I found nothing.

A few days ago I went to Norwich, and went into two antique shops. One had old crystal pieces from a chandelier for £3 each, and one had a lamp with a Roman column effect stem for £6, so I bought them, got home and started building.

I was originally planning on making just a small circuit for the light, and then remembered I had a spare 11th doctor sonic from a failed project, so I tore that apart and changed the LED to a blue one and added in a large momentary switch. A bit of tinkering, sanding, painting and swearing later...

IMG_20180803_235120.jpg

IMG_20180804_214801.jpg

IMG_20180804_214656.jpg

IMG_20180804_214643.jpg

To be honest, I'm not sure about the main body length, as the whole thing is longer than Capaldis screwdriver, so I may have to look at that in the future, but for now, I'm happy with how it looks

BioDoctor900

the_temporal_mechanic

That's lovely :) Are the batteries easy to change?

roguetimelord

Looks incredible, the Dark Eyes screwdriver is one of my favourite Sonic designs and you've done a fantastic job!

Rogue