Apr 20, 2024, 11:18 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Xylok

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jul 28, 2018, 04:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

Jul 28, 2018, 04:26 pm Last Edit: Jul 28, 2018, 07:21 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
An old sky box, a digital photo/video frame and a lot of trial and error video editing...

No build diary in the end, not really enough to show.

I'm going to do a housing for a quartz crystal on top and maybe a more Mr. Smith style frame for the screen but it's basically done.

EDIT: Already added more circuits and greeblies lol. Will post an updated pic when I'm definitely done.

37880741_10156665493514319_2378517871656435712_n.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

The14thDr

Looks great!!
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Jul 29, 2018, 05:15 am #2 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2018, 05:16 am by galacticprobe
I agree. (But is it just me, or does the video pattern - as captured in that image - look a bit like a strange bird, flying around while wearing dark-framed glasses with blue lenses? :))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

questwalnut

This looks Great, Cardinal Hordriss. I loved the Sarah Jane Adventures when I was younger (I stil do...) and looking at this adds Mr. Smith to an ever expanding list of things I want to build later in life

I didn't see that until you mentioned it
Never wear black with colour; it makes the colour look cheap and the black look boring.

Cardinal Hordriss

Jul 30, 2018, 02:15 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2018, 02:30 am by Cardinal Hordriss
Galacticprobe - rorschach test lol.

Thanks for the compliments. I think I'll post an updated pic in the next couple of days. It may not be 100% complete but a lot more has been added and I still don't think it warrants a build diary... bit of a administrative limbo space RE forum guidelines but this seems to be the best spot for it.

It needs a name...

My surname is too much of a mouthful. My backstory for him is that Mr. Smith contributed a crystal which he can regrow in 6 months but in the meantime can't speak Spanish... I was sober when I thought of this... anyway, despite this I can't call him Mr. Smith. I thought of Zen after the Blake's 7 computer (capacity charged brain) but it doesn't sit right. Deus, as in Deus ex Machina was another notion but that means I'm calling him God. Any thoughts?

Exposition might be a good, metatextual name; "Exposition I need you!" 
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jul 30, 2018, 04:49 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2018, 04:56 am by galacticprobe
Well... as far as the name goes, if this Xylok offspring doesn't need to be a male version, you could always do a nod to 'The Avengers' (1960s TV series) and name her Mrs. Peel. Then you could always call out a variant of the original 'Sarah Jane Adventures' line with "Mrs. Peel, you're needed." (Granted, that line was used in just one 'Avengers' episode, with the usual phrase either spoken or written as "Mrs. Peel, we're needed", but some artistic license is allowed, and it's still a canonical nod.)

Incidentally, if anyone paid close enough attention to those 'Avengers' episodes, you'd notice just how many 'Doctor Who' actors appeared in them, from Doctors, to companions, even Roger Delgado and Kate O'Mara. So it would be a nice cross-over nod.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 30, 2018, 04:49 am
Incidentally, if anyone paid close enough attention to those 'Avengers' episodes, you'd notice just how many 'Doctor Who' actors appeared in them, from Doctors, to companions, even Roger Delgado and Kate O'Mara. So it would be a nice cross-over nod.

Dino.

Like Z Cars, it seems whenever I look up a classic DW actor they were in Z Cars lol.

I loved The Avengers as a kid but haven't seen it in years. Sadly the Xylok is a boy (I let a friend decide because I couldn't make my mind up). Thanks for the suggestion though, exactly the right kind of thinking.

Cardinal Hordriss

Jul 30, 2018, 12:51 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2018, 01:01 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
38071917_10156670704129319_7440634895874916352_n.jpg

Not a great pic because the power lead will only stretch so far lol.

galacticprobe

Aug 01, 2018, 04:17 am #8 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2018, 04:18 am by galacticprobe
I don't know, CH; that looks like a pretty great pic to me!

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jul 30, 2018, 09:12 am
Sadly the Xylok is a boy (I let a friend decide because I couldn't make my mind up).

Flipping that switch... "Mr. Steed, you're needed!"?

Dino.

Cardinal Hordriss

I forgot to slide the screen back to centre but you get the point.

38147571_10156675632619319_5702335049907568640_n.jpg

The14thDr

This is so cool! Roughly how big is your xylok?
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks. The Sky box that it's built into is about 33cm x 20cm.