New, New TardisBuilders!

Tardis vs. Police Box

Started by Kingpin, Jun 18, 2018, 01:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

Jun 18, 2018, 01:54 pm Last Edit: Jun 21, 2018, 10:55 am by Scarfwearer
Quote from: Scarfwearer on May 07, 2018, 11:29 am
phone-sa.jpg phone-exhib.jpg

The two shots kinda underscore the silliness with making the boxes out of wood and leaving the grain/giving the boxes woodgrain, while it helps us to identify which boxes have appeared where in the various media, it also shows that there's more than "one TARDIS".

I wish we could eradicate the "all Police boxes were completely made of wood" myth.

EDIT: Quote added for context in split topic -- SW

lorisarvendu

Quote from: Kingpin on Jun 18, 2018, 01:54 pm
I wish we could eradicate the "all Police boxes were completely made of wood" myth.

I think we're kind of stuck with it, for a fairly good reason.  If the TARDIS was an accurate copy of a Police box, then not only would it be made of concrete, but it would only have one door, which would make it even more awkward for actors to get in and out of the prop.  You couldn't give it two doors because then it wouldn't have been accurate (and that would be the whole point of saying it was concrete anyway). 

This would also make shots where both doors open - like the 10th Doctor's triumphant entrance on the Sycorax spaceship - not...quite...so triumphant.  And to modern audiences (who let's face it, 90% of which have never even seen a Police box, let alone know it's construction) it's a lot easier just to say wood.

Anyway, who's to say it's not originally based on the earlier wooden models.  ;P

karsthotep

Sort of off topic but also on.   I work on a military base supporting an DoD university.  The buildings that we are housed in are old barracks.   In the basements if you look at the concrete walls
you can see wood grain from the formers that were used when the foundations were originally poured.  Not just subtle grain, very deep thick heavy wood grain embedded in the concerte,  very cool to see. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

galacticprobe

Jun 19, 2018, 03:35 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 19, 2018, 03:53 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: lorisarvendu on Jun 18, 2018, 05:24 pm
Quote from: Kingpin on Jun 18, 2018, 01:54 pm

I think we're kind of stuck with it... If the TARDIS was an accurate copy of a Police box... it would only have one door, which would make it even more awkward for actors to get in and out of the prop. ...  

This would also make shots where both doors open - like the 10th Doctor's triumphant entrance on the Sycorax spaceship - not... quite... so triumphant.

Let's also not forget the 9th Doctor's dramatic entrance into the TARDIS in "Father's Day" only to find there was no interior! With one door, this would also have not been quite as dramatic.

And to modern audiences (who let's face it, 90% of which have never even seen a Police box, let alone know it's construction) it's a lot easier just to say wood.

While this is sadly true as 90 percent of modern audiences didn't start watching 'Doctor Who' until the New Series brought it back to TV, I think most of the blame for this (maybe "blame" is a harsh word, but I'm stuck thinking of a better one) falls on the New Series' prop designers and builders. First they gave us a Series 1-4 TARDIS that looked wood-grained, and then they gave us a Series 5-6 box that really highlighted the wood grain. Granted as Series 6 wore on, and Series 7 moved into Series 8-10, the wood grain sort of faded into hiding behind a heavier paint job, but the "wooden police box" damage had already been done.

Those new fans who are now playing catch-me-up on the Classic Series stories (and those of us older fans who remember it) will notice that none of those TARDISes ever showed wood grain. No one really knew what the props were made of (wood, fiberglas, from the prop aspect) or what they were "supposed to be" made of (from a TARDIS aspect). If not for the wobbliness the props developed as they aged, and suffered from the wear and tear of daily use while making up to 42 episodes a year (B&W) and 26 eps a year (color - that is until after the hiatus when there were only 14 eps a year, until the final season), people may have gone on thinking the prop was one solid piece. (Not the literal solid since actors went in and out of it, but you know what I mean... I hope.)

Anyway, who's to say it's not originally based on the earlier wooden models.  ;P

And this is a very good arguing point for the wood grain shown on the early New Series TARDISes.

Quote from: karsthotep on Jun 18, 2018, 06:27 pm
Sort of off topic but also on. I work on a military base supporting an DoD university. The buildings that we are housed in are old barracks. In the basements if you look at the concrete walls you can see wood grain from the formers that were used when the foundations were originally poured. Not just subtle grain, very deep thick heavy wood grain embedded in the concerte, very cool to see.

I've also seen this sort of thing, and on more than just walls. It's made me question more than once what the thing I was looking at was made of: wood? fiberglas? concrete? something done up to look like wood with sand-textured paint on it?

I think this sort of wood-looking concrete effect is more pronounced where the moisture in the concrete mix manages to raise the wood grain before the concrete has a chance to set, and therefor shows more of the wood grain. So it is possible for something made from concrete to look like wood... though if the former is reusable, after a while I think the grain texture would start wearing off and you'd see more of the ordinary concrete look.

I hope some of this makes sense.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Jun 19, 2018, 06:54 am #4 Last Edit: Jun 19, 2018, 01:47 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 19, 2018, 03:35 am
Let's also not forget the 9th Doctor's dramatic entrance into the TARDIS in "Father's Day" only to find there was no interior! With one door, this would also have not been quite as dramatic.
Dino.

On the other hand, this was not so dramatic ;)

3drs curtain becomes doors.png
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

I wonder why it never occurred to hang a curtain of some sort. :(

phillbarron

As a kid I assumed all Police Boxes had been made out of wood, partly because the current (Newberry) TARDIS clearly was, but mostly because that's the way the TARDIS was always described in the Target novelisations: a battered wooden box.

I think.

Unless I'm imagining that last bit.

Davros Skaro

I've been watching doctor who for many years, & re-watched them many times, & the doctor has always referred to it as being "a blue wooden box". In the stories "The Stolen Earth" & "Journey's End", where the Daleks have captured the Tardis, the doctor says to Rose, Jack & Donna "No use staying in here, those wooden doors are just wood & they can get in" something along those lines anyway.

The Doctor also has referred to himself as being "Just a mad man in an old blue wooden box".

Also on the season 2 DVD sets special features, they have the Proms & they show you them setting up for the show. At one point, near the beginning, you see them bringing in the panels for the Tardis, & it looks like either fiberglass or pressed metal sheet, made to fit together for the prop on stage.

Hope this makes sense & helps.

Chris.
Chris.

Kingpin

Jun 20, 2018, 12:24 am #8 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2018, 12:26 am by Kingpin
Quote from: Davros Skaro on Jun 19, 2018, 11:35 pm
I've been watching doctor who for many years, & re-watched them many times, & the doctor has always referred to it as being "a blue wooden box". In the stories "The Stolen Earth" & "Journey's End", where the Daleks have captured the Tardis, the doctor says to Rose, Jack & Donna "No use staying in here, those wooden doors are just wood & they can get in" something along those lines anyway.

The Doctor also has referred to himself as being "Just a mad man in an old blue wooden box".

Indeed, but those references largely (and likely) come about from the original mistaken belief (or erroneous claim) when New Who went into production.  It isn't definitive proof that the box has always been considered to be made of wood during the show's history (I note here I've not had the pleasure of getting to see all of the available stories) - I'm not presently aware of references being made to the box being constructed of wood in the classic serials.  The Target novelisations are forgiveable as information on the boxes would've been less easily accessible at the time they were written.

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Jun 19, 2018, 11:35 pmAlso on the season 2 DVD sets special features, they have the Proms & they show you them setting up for the show. At one point, near the beginning, you see them bringing in the panels for the Tardis, & it looks like either fiberglass or pressed metal sheet, made to fit together for the prop on stage.

Fibreglass, though I'm not sure what part that information about the Proms plays in things.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Kingpin on Jun 19, 2018, 06:42 pm
I wonder why it never occurred to hang a curtain of some sort. :(

They did start to, a bit later, during Tom's run.

But in this case, just closing the sodding doors would have helped :D
Public Enema Number One.

Volpone

Don't know about Target novelizations, but I'd swear there's at least one classic serial that refers to the TARDIS as a "black wooden box."  My brain wants to say Ian says it in a Hartnell serial, given that the TARDIS was a lot darker and shot in black & white to boot, but it could have been Pertwee.  He seemed to always be losing the TARDIS--Peladon, Colony in Space, etc. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Jun 20, 2018, 08:10 am #11 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2018, 08:20 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Volpone on Jun 20, 2018, 07:31 am
Don't know about Target novelizations, but I'd swear there's at least one classic serial that refers to the TARDIS as a "black wooden box."  My brain wants to say Ian says it in a Hartnell serial, given that the TARDIS was a lot darker and shot in black & white to boot,...

As far as novelizations go, I think it all depends on who writes them. I mean, even though the show originally started out in B&W, everyone at the time knew that Police Boxes were blue (sometimes red if you were in Scotland, but mostly blue). So there would be no sense in anyone referring to the TARDIS as "black". I still haven't seen all of the Classic stories either - still collecting the ones being restored - but from all those that were available when we could get the show on PBS (and I am going back to the mid-to-late 1980s), I don't remember anyone during the Hartnell or Troughton era referring to the TARDIS as a "wooden" box: a blue box on occasion, but never a wooden one. (Maybe in one of the restored stories that I haven't gotten yet that was mentioned, but not in any I've seen so far.)

Quote from: Volpone on Jun 20, 2018, 07:31 am
but it could have been Pertwee.  He seemed to always be losing the TARDIS--Peladon, Colony in Space, etc.

Yeah... they both managed to misplace the TARDIS now and then. I remember Tom Baker's Doctor asking the occasional passerby something like "Excuse me, but you haven't seen a large blue box by any chance, have you?" while using his hands to mimic the shape as he would add "It's about, oh, so big..."

I remember reading somewhere that the TARDIS was described as being "a battered old box", or a "battered blue box" - one of those behind-the-scenes books, I think; but even there the word "wood" was never used. And I think Kingpin hit the nail on the head with his comment about this "wooden" box coming about with the New Series, since from Series 1 through 6 the TARDIS had the wood grain showing. The comment made in "The Stolen Earth" / "Journey's End" about the doors being "just wood" struck me as odd, mainly because the structure of the TARDIS, inside or out, was never given in such definitive terms before.

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jun 19, 2018, 06:54 am

No, but it sure as heck was a load of fun! (And still is every time I watch that one!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Scarfwearer

I think the whole wooden box thing was largely Terrance Dicks, who was script editor for a long time and also wrote many (most?) of the novelizations. I'm pretty sure he used the word 'wood' to describe it in one of the DVD extras.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 20, 2018, 08:10 am
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jun 19, 2018, 06:54 am

No, but it sure as heck was a load of fun! (And still is every time I watch that one!)

Dino.

Oh I enjoy The Three Doctors very much. But the open doors make me cringe every time.

I'd love to do a version of that scene with a console room hiding the inside of the box...
Public Enema Number One.

phillbarron

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jun 20, 2018, 08:45 am
I think the whole wooden box thing was largely Terrance Dicks, who was script editor for a long time and also wrote many (most?) of the novelizations. I'm pretty sure he used the word 'wood' to describe it in one of the DVD extras.

The reason I brought the Target books up was that in those pre-video recorder dark ages they were the only way to 'rewatch' episodes.

So if Terrance Dicks did refer to it as a wooden box (which I think he did,  but can't be 100% sure without checking) then to the kids at the time who grew up to be the current writers and show runners of the new series that idea of the TARDIS being a wooden box would be considered a 'fact'.