Apr 18, 2024, 05:55 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Restoration - Raw Concrete Police Box Photos

Started by Dalekoracle, Jun 20, 2018, 03:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

I seem to remember reading somewhere on this site that the signal lamp assembly on the Glasgow boxes also had a vent integrated into it.  I always thought this clever and stole the idea for my TARDIS. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

starcross

Jun 22, 2018, 12:29 pm #16 Last Edit: Jun 22, 2018, 12:32 pm by starcross
Quote from: Volpone on Jun 22, 2018, 07:40 am
the signal lamp assembly on the Glasgow boxes also had a vent integrated into it.

This isn't possible with the GPO Lantern that they use on Glasgow and many regional Police boxes. The bottom of the cast iron lantern is solid. There is only a hole for the Conduit. The top of the lantern opened into a bell, and with the gap there would have let the heated air from the working light escape to atmosphere but that's it.

I posted photos of the lantern here. http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3322.0

Quote from: starcross on May 26, 2013, 05:24 pm
8833191428_2aaaceeeb6.jpg

On a Met Police box the Fresnel Lens would have been completely open, and in addition to the Conduit hole, there were four other holes that would have allowed for some ventilation, but probably not much.

Although Glasgow boxes had vent holes under the Police Signs on the side walls. That would have effectively vented the interior of the box, but not as much as having the windows open.

ward westwater

Hi

This is my yard. I'm not amused at people going in without my permission. A simple request and I would have shown you around. The front box is now on Sauchiehall Street in front of the Willow Tea Rooms. The box at the back in the crate is from Chatham Docks and was part of Kent Police Museum until it closed. The box is now on display in a similar part of the world with a private collector.

Kind regards
Ward

Teppic

Quote from: ward westwater on Apr 15, 2020, 01:01 pm
Hi

This is my yard. I'm not amused at people going in without my permission. A simple request and I would have shown you around. <snip>

Kind regards
Ward

Aren't these the same pictures that appeared in DWM in 2018? I know I posted some of them up thread, but I can certainly assure you that it was not me that took any of the pictures. I can't remember where I downloaded them from, but I think it was from someone's Twitter account.

superrichi1a

Quote from: ward westwater on Apr 15, 2020, 01:01 pm
Hi

This is my yard. I'm not amused at people going in without my permission. A simple request and I would have shown you around. The front box is now on Sauchiehall Street in front of the Willow Tea Rooms. The box at the back in the crate is from Chatham Docks and was part of Kent Police Museum until it closed. The box is now on display in a similar part of the world with a private collector.

Kind regards
Ward

Fantastic to have you chime in! I don't suppose you'd like to share any more information about how you restored them and what the challenges might have been?

As for people getting into your yard, that's terrible, and I would be similarly annoyed. However, I think it's clear from the original posts that no members here have come anywhere close to that. In fact, both members posting pictures have stated that they didn't take the pictures themselves, and you can see that in one earlier post there was even some guesswork going on as to where the boxes might have been and at what time of year the pictures were taken.

As most of us here also own boxes, I like to think that,  if anything, we'd be the most understanding of the desire to protect privacy! I for one have had my fair share of people taking some liberties with my garden fence.

Supremely jealous of your work with the boxes, I'm glad the pictures have cropped up again though, look great ;D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Volpone

Well said, Rich.  I was trying to think of how to say this.  At my new house, my TARDIS is clearly visible from the street so about once a year I'll have a car in my driveway--and I don't mean the end of the driveway, I mean pulled alongside my bedroom window like I was a McDonald's drive-thru.  (Although even more people are polite and knock on the door or otherwise ask permission first.)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

ward westwater

I think most of you guys have a harder job. You are building from scratch. I'm only repairing. Some of the panels that are left, enough hopefully for one more box are in a dire state, but fingers crossed we might save one last box.

Volpone

It's absolutely magnificent as it is but I can only imagine what it will look like fully restored.  You are to be congratulated. 
-The Doctor.

Andrew Harvey

Marvellous. I have bult a scale model of one in the raw concrete state. Although it is weathered with some orange spots for lichen on its roof. Great to see these. Thanks.