Apr 20, 2024, 01:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

"THE HIVE" TARDIS console build

Started by KIT-KAT, Jun 02, 2018, 04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfox

That Commando TV unit you have in the first post is the basis for the famous motion tracker props used in the original Alien Film. Seems a shame to cannibalise it for a fan film. You could probably sell it to a prop maker and buy yourself some more odds and ends with the proceeds.

for more info on the prop have a look here:  http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8281&view=print

KIT-KAT

yeah, I heard it was used for that! Still, I would like to use it. but I might change my mind :P
No, not the mind probe!

warmcanofcoke

Nov 29, 2018, 07:56 pm #17 Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018, 10:24 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: kitkat123 on Nov 29, 2018, 05:05 pm
Does anyone have any idea how to make cheap and multiple tardis walls that look like this?
would fiberglass copies be the way to go?

No message is associated with this attachment.

Crispin started out with round holes before upgrading at a later date.

stitched700.jpg
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Mar 06, 2009, 09:43 am

stitched700.jpg

The story is all on my website: Relative Dimensions.

Crispin

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1412.msg6280#msg6280
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Scarfwearer

Well indeed. Mine are 1/2" plywood with lighting diffuser panels behind them (which I later vacuum-formed to get the roundel profile). I think they'd probably cost about £100-£150 per panel to make these days.
I don't know what it would cost to make them in fibreglass. My impression is that even the materials are pretty expensive.

karsthotep

If you are going to be building walls, the plywood is the way to go.   As for that part for the Alien Tracker, If you are going to use it, keep it in good condition, i know a lot of prop builders would pay a pretty penny to get a real rather than replica of that.  It's the Alien equivalent of a Graflex
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

KIT-KAT

Thank you all so much! I had no idea the value of the portable television! I picked it up for a tenner at a garden centre
No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

I think if when and if I have the money I'll use plywood for the walls and use some sort of see through bowls for the roundels behind. Thank you so much!
No, not the mind probe!

karsthotep

Quote from: kitkat123 on Nov 30, 2018, 04:25 pm
Thank you all so much! I had no idea the value of the portable television! I picked it up for a tenner at a garden centre

Awesome, awesome steal.  One on ebay right now for 148 US. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

KIT-KAT

IMG_20181201_171052_648.jpg

Managed to collect some dials. I'm going to buy a job lot of switches hopefully too.
No, not the mind probe!

simon83

I cant wait to see how this turns out! If i were you though. Id make a scale model first so you are certain how you want it to look and can see details and etc and have a physical reference of.

KIT-KAT

Quote from: simon83 on Dec 02, 2018, 05:05 pm
Id make a scale model first so you are certain how you want it to look and can see details and etc and have a physical reference of.

Good idea, I've already sort of done that with drawings and a 3d model  :)
No, not the mind probe!

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: silverfox on Nov 29, 2018, 06:27 pm
That Commando TV unit you have in the first post is the basis for the famous motion tracker props used in the original Alien Film. Seems a shame to cannibalise it for a fan film. You could probably sell it to a prop maker and buy yourself some more odds and ends with the proceeds.

for more info on the prop have a look here:  http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8281&view=print

Quote from: kitkat123 on Nov 29, 2018, 07:21 pm
yeah, I heard it was used for that! Still, I would like to use it. but I might change my mind :P

Remember Aliens and Doctor Who are in the same continuity lol
xenomorph.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

KIT-KAT

MORE CONTROLS! I've pretty much got all my controls (touch wood) except for a few like the gauges.
I Just need to clean all these up to look brand new!
IMG_3649.JPGIMG_3650.JPG
IMG_3648.JPG
No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

IMG_20190330_120322.jpg

Pulled these out our old greenhouse
No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

It would be amazing to do the entire room. but I doubt it

console.jpg
No, not the mind probe!