Apr 27, 2024, 12:58 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

I Need A Printing Company

Started by wayney1975, Mar 28, 2019, 01:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wayney1975

Mar 28, 2019, 01:46 pm Last Edit: Mar 28, 2019, 01:47 pm by wayney1975
I'm at the stage now where i need my top signs printed onto sticky black vinyl, with lettering that i can peel away to allow the light to flood through.
I have my PDF file, and my perspex is on order.
Can someone please help me get them printed up by offering a company name that i can get these done?
I'm at this crucial stage where the Top Signs and Top Light are all i need to do to finish my build.
HELP!!!

karsthotep

https://www.severnsigns.co.uk/

If you google sign makers in your area I am sure you will turn up with more that may be closer to where you actually are. 

I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Volpone

Mar 28, 2019, 03:26 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2019, 03:32 pm by Volpone
And if all else fails and you're handy (and/or cheap) and have access to a color printer, you can go the do-it-yourself route.  It's getting harder to find in brick and mortar stores, but in Olden Dayes, before digital projectors and PowerPoint, they had overhead transparency projectors and they sell the printable plastic sheets for them.  A color laser printer would work best, but I had results I'm content with from my inkjet.  

The phone door sign is easy.  Well, fairly easy.  Print up your PDF.  Since printers don't have white ink, you'll spray the backside of the sheet with white spraypaint.  If you used an inkjet printer, the ink can run if it gets wet so CAAAREFULLLY spray the front side with a clear overcoat.  Then just mount the bugger *behind* your perspex, like framing a picture, instead of sticking it to the front.  

The POLICE BOX sign is a bit trickier, as, obviously, you don't have any 6"x36" sheets of transparency paper.  The trick is to do it on 3 (or more, depending you your TARDIS type) sheets of paper and then hiding your seams with the straight edges of the letters.  I did a seam at the front of the "B" in "BOX" and, I think, at the "I" in "POLICE":  Sheet 1:  "POLI,"  Sheet 2:  "CE public call," Sheet 3:  "BOX"  Actually, you can overlap a bit.  So it's "POLI" "ICE public call B" "BOX," With the end sheets on top.  I think I just carefully lined everything up.  And then I sprayed some kind of dry-mount adhesive on my perspex and CAREFULLY lined up the seams.

You can check my build or gallery threads if you're curious how it turned out.  I did wind up with a bit of clouding on the POLICE BOX signs, and some of the blue (I have the blue & white instead of black & white) has bled out because I didn't use enough spray clearcoat (I didn't want the clearcoat to cause the ink to bleed.  In retrospect I should have just layered on multiple light coats) but since I want the battered old box look, I don't mind how it looks at all.

[I went back and had a look, I did the first seam at the end of the "E," not at the "I."  The "I" would be better.  Or at least at the front of the "E".  If you're looking for it, the seam is pretty evident, but if you aren't looking for it it's OK.  And if I ever decide I want better, I can replace it easily enough.]
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.