Apr 18, 2024, 05:46 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

'ankh' shaped Tardis door key

Started by markofrani, Dec 01, 2007, 05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tescotardis

I have numerous Tardis keys including a very very very worn Spirit of Light key.  I got it at a Who convention in Harvey,IL (0) and had it in my wallet for years and years.  Wish I'd kept better care of it. :(

That said I'd love to see someone come out with a milled aluminum version of it.  But since we're back to the Yale style that seems unlikely. 

Though with the Yale style there's a lot of things you can do out there.  For instance there are a ton of alarm systems with Yale style locks that could be disassembled and installed so an alarm goes off when you open the Tardis door without disarming it.

You could also make it electronic using something like the fire switch from an elevator.  (Provided it's not the round security key type.)

Heck you could even pull 10's trick with the key fob alarm/unlock.  (Still working on figuring out a "snap my fingers" way to open the doors.)

(0) Footnote - That convention was interesting to say the least.  I actually got to hear 6 shout the immortal words "I am NOT signing your pants!" when a friend tried to get him to sign his jeans because he had no paper or picture. :)
--
Mike

"They're not breasts they're Dalek bumps!"

galacticprobe

Jul 02, 2010, 06:13 am #31 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 06:14 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: tescotardis on Jul 02, 2010, 05:52 am

(Still working on figuring out a "snap my fingers" way to open the doors.)

You could have one door slightly spring-loaded so it pops open with the latch is released, and use "The Clapper" to trigger the lock release. Get close enough, give those fingers a loud snap, and the door will open. Or just build a remote lock release with a control, like a car key-type that will fit into your pocket. Keep one hand inside the pocket and you can press the release button while your other hand snaps its fingers. Same result; door pops open, only you can do it from further away (and you won't have to worry about someone accidentally snapping fingers or clapping hands and having your TARDIS pop open for them!).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

hb88banzai

Jul 03, 2010, 07:55 am #32 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2010, 07:57 am by hb88banzai
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 02, 2010, 04:17 am
(I think I've also heard somewhere that the 8th Doctor's key was an actual "Spirit of Light" key that was produced as a TARDIS key replica back in the mid 1980s, that someone had on hand for the 1996 movie. (I think I also heard they covered over the "Spirit of Light" words across the "T".) It's all rumor, of course, but if it is true, and if you're lucky enough to own one of the Spirit of Light keys, then you've really got an authentic prop. (I lost mine at a horribly overcrowded Creation Convention in NYC back in 1987. Still tears me up thinking about that.)

Per Philip Segal at Gallifrey 7 or 8, he got them from 1-800-Trekker, a fairly large sci-fi related merchandising firm at the time. He heard from somebody that replicas of this key were available and immediately called up and purchased something like five of them during pre-production. They were recasts of the Spirit of Light keys with their logo removed and I'm pretty sure they weren't licensed.

Regardless, the Spirit of Light keys were horribly inaccurate to the original Pertwee model (and more than a bit ugly in comparison). I haven't seen a good pic of the Tom Baker version, but I doubt it was that much different. Of course, now that this "inaccurate" version has been used on screen, it suddenly becomes legit. A shame.

galacticprobe

Jul 03, 2010, 01:54 pm #33 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2010, 01:57 pm by galacticprobe
I think I read somewhere (maybe even on this forum) that when Pertwee left the show he took "his" TARDIS key with him as a memento, and that a new key, same 'ankh/spade' shape but slightly different version, was made for Tom Baker's reign. (See the pics I posted earlier in this thread for the difference. If your eyes are quick enough you can see some details of the Tom Baker key when Sutekh sends it through the portal to the zombie Professor Scarman in "Pyramids of Mars".)

So yes, you're right; the Tom Baker key version is "inaccurate" when compared to the Pertwee key, however they are two different versions of the same key. At the time, the Spirit key was being touted as the closest replica of the Tom Baker key available and when compared to the images in "Pyramids" they are pretty darn close. Also at the time there was no distinction made of the differences between the Pertwee and Tom Baker keys.

If you do a Google search of TARDIS Key and look under Images, you'll find tons of hits, and one of them comes from a site called "Doctor Who Props" where they've got the Pertwee key (front side at least) on display in a cylindrical case. According to them, Pertwee eventually sold it (or gave it - can't remember which) to a friend some years after leaving the show, and that person in turn eventually donated or sold it to "Who Props". (NOTE: This site isn't to be confused with the props listed on the "Richard Who" site; he's got a bunch of different props and the Pertwee key wasn't one of them, but I believe the Tom Baker key was.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Scarfwearer

Also presumably not to be confused with Who Props prop building website (http://whoprops.proboards.com) that we're affiliated with...  :o

Crispin

galacticprobe

Jul 04, 2010, 05:39 am #35 Last Edit: Jul 04, 2010, 07:21 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jul 03, 2010, 03:43 pm
Also presumably not to be confused with Who Props prop building website (http://whoprops.proboards.com) that we're affiliated with...  :o

Crispin

Correct, Crispin. (BTW, I'm a member of the above mentioned site as well). Here's the image of the Pertwee key prop front, and you can just make out the watermark on the photo (the photo is cropped - not by me - but the full address of the site is http://www.doctorwhoprops.co.uk/).
tardis-key2.jpg
The page with the key on it is http://www.doctorwhoprops.co.uk/props.php. Just scroll down the page a short ways, past the Dalek eye stalk and Sontaran communicator. (There are more than just "Doctor Who" props on the site; some Gerry Anderson items as well. There are even "Beetlejuice" and "Batman" props under the "Movies" tab.) They also have a sister(?) site at http://www.doctorwhoprops.com - identical to the ".co.uk" site.

Another image I found of the Pertwee key is this one; it says "thepropgellery" in the lower right corner, but I can't remember where I found it:
TardisKey-Pertwee.jpg
It almost looks like it was fashioned out of aluminum, with the raised shapes having been polished, or at least buffed to make them stand out. (Anyone got the skinny on what it was made of?)

And finally there is this image courtesy of Shillpages (http://www.shillpages.com/dw/dwia.htm):
st--3z22.JPG
They appear to be rearranging the site a bit. If you click the link for Jon Pertwee it will take you to http://www.shillpages.com/dw/pertweej.shtml. Near the bottom of that page, the above image, labelled on the site as "st--3z22.JPG" isn't there anymore as the numbering now goes from "st--3z14.JPG" straight to "st--3z23.JPG". But have no fear; they have a new Pertwee page (and what looks like the start of a new main page) at http://shillpages.com/dw/story/d3/story-3a.shtml as you can get to all of the Doctors' stories from there, although they only go up to the Ninth Doctor so far. The link for the above key pic can be found through this "new" main page by clicking on the "Third Doctor" link at the top. This takes you to the Pertwee page at http://shillpages.com/dw/story-3.shtml where the images are broken down by story title. The TARDIS key image above is on this page down near the bottom under "Planet of the Spiders." It also gives you a good size comparison between the key and the hand holding it (Pertwee's, I believe, just before he hands it to Sarah Jane?). So we could guesstimate how big of a prop replica to make.

The Richard Who site I mentioned in my earlier post (http://www.richardwho.com/) has pages and pages to wade through.

Anyway, as you can see by these pics, the other "Pertwee key replica" I posted earlier was not the greatest (and definitely not worth what the seller on ebay was asking for it, at least IMHO).

And right now, Amazon has several keys on sale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FQF2JK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0207KZPN8TE797RWE0ER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
This key seems to be the most recent "model" on the market, and far from accurate. (It looks like its main part was stamped out of a piece of metal, like a washer would be, as the top edges are rounded. I've seen the back of this particular key and it slightly sticks up which is why I think it was "stamped" out.)

Then they have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TK9AX2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=11RZV29V68XP55HQP92X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
Not sure who's making this one, but unless they've posted the picture backwards, they've got the Kasterborous constellation backwards on the back (see my previous posts showing the back of the key).

And then there is my personal favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/Baker-Style-Tardis-Chain-1970%60s/dp/B003TI253K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1278226443&sr=8-4
This one I can personally say is cast from light-weight aluminum. The front is highly inaccurate, and unless the molds have changed the back of the key is blank. I should know; this is exactly the first TARDIS key I ever bought at a SciFi convention, the first con I ever went to: "GendoCon" in Norfolk, VA, held at Old Dominion University back in 1983 (it was the only TARDIS key available at the time, and the only one I still have... for now).

This was the Con where I (almost) got a kiss from Nichelle Nichols (one dream almost come true), my wife got a great pic taken with Jimmy Doohan (pronounced "Doin' - like 'How ya doin'?" as he said), and when I got into an argument with your stereotypical super fan boy over the 18-ft filming model of the Seaview from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." It had been recently restored by model-maker extrordinaire David Merriman and was on display. Everyone knows the Seaview: four huge viewports on the bow, as well as those stingray wings on the bow's sides. Fan boy was convinced this was the sub from "Man from Atlantis" and nothing ANYONE could say would change his mind - not even the plaque on display with the model. (He moved to LA some years later, and our friends out there, Janet and Larry Nemecek - frequently invited as guests to cons because fo their involvement with "Voyager" and "DS9" - had a few run-ins with him. That was a shock for all of us once we realized that we had him in common! No one out there could stand this guy either.)

OK... adjusting those drift compensators again... TARDIS keys.

Above is what I've got regarding the ankh/spade keys. Feel free to add (or criticize) as required.

Dino.

Borusa

That has got to be one of my favorite posts! It's full of great information - showing how important it is to do it yourself when possible and practical (the knock-offs tend to be inaccurate) - plus that fan boy story is funny as hell!
"You have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the universe."

geminitimelord

I agree on the fan boy story. Come to think of it, I dont like fan boy's too much. You should have given him a Melvin and sent him on his way.

tescotardis

Quote from: Borusa on Jul 04, 2010, 10:10 am
That has got to be one of my favorite posts! It's full of great information - showing how important it is to do it yourself when possible and practical (the knock-offs tend to be inaccurate) - plus that fan boy story is funny as hell!

I absolutely agreed! :)

And that link in the previous post has some very cool stuff.  I ran across that link a couple of years ago.  Wish the collector would give out the dimensions to the Key to Time though.  Last I heard he wasn't even giving anybody access to it at all.

As for the Pertwee key that's the first clear frontal picture I've ever seen of it.  Wish we could see the back. :(

I notice he's got 7's key on there as well and it shows the detail difference between the cheap copy I have and the original.  (For some reason 7's key seems to always be available on the great 'Bay of E.  Odd because I would think there's less demand for it.)
--
Mike

tescotardis

Jul 04, 2010, 10:36 am #39 Last Edit: Jul 04, 2010, 10:47 am by Scarfwearer
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 04, 2010, 05:39 am
And right now, Amazon has several keys on sale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FQF2JK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0207KZPN8TE797RWE0ER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
This key seems to be the most recent "model" on the market, and far from accurate. (It looks like its main part was stamped out of a piece of metal, like a washer would be, as the top edges are rounded. I've seen the back of this particular key and it slightly sticks up which is why I think it was "stamped" out.)

Then they have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TK9AX2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=11RZV29V68XP55HQP92X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
Not sure who's making this one, but unless they've posted the picture backwards, they've got the Kasterborous constellation backwards on the back (see my previous posts showing the back of the key).

And then there is my personal favorite:
http://www.amazon.com/Baker-Style-Tardis-Chain-1970%60s/dp/B003TI253K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1278226443&sr=8-4
This one I can personally say is cast from light-weight aluminum. The front is highly inaccurate, and unless the molds have changed the back of the key is blank. I should know; this is exactly the first TARDIS key I ever bought at a SciFi convention, the first con I ever went to: "GendoCon" in Norfolk, VA, held at Old Dominion University back in 1983 (it was the only TARDIS key available at the time, and the only one I still have... for now).

OK... adjusting those drift compensators again... TARDIS keys.

Above is what I've got regarding the ankh/spade keys. Feel free to add (or criticize) as required.

Dino.

Believe it or not I have copies of ALL three of these style keys.  The last one is incredibly light pot metal and is almost more of a tribal pendant with nothing on the back.

The second ones came with my horrible 7 key copy and has really really bad mold marks as well as rancid plating.  It looks like they cast but didn't sand/cleanup before plating.

The first one is the closest to the one I wear around my neck and extremely close to the Spirit of Light design. (Obviously without the words.)
--
Mike

tescotardis

Here's all of them laid out on the kitchen table:

http://www.terminalcore.net/gallery/album01/IMG_0029?full=1

And the backs of them...:

http://www.terminalcore.net/gallery/album01/IMG_0030?full=1

(For some reason I'm having a hell of a time embedding images in my posts here.  Must be my fat American fingers...) ;)
--
Mike

hb88banzai

Jul 05, 2010, 10:10 am #41 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010, 10:12 am by hb88banzai
I contacted the guy at doctorwhoprops a few years ago, when I first saw that he had the original prop, or at least one that was purported to come from Pertwee himself (the drawings resulting from my own research on the key back in 1986 confirmed that he either had the original or one very close to it - there are differences that I have to go back to double check weren't just TV and VCR artifacts, though).

I asked him if it might be possible to get a picture of the back as my own drawings based on what I had seen (not knowing that there might have been two versions of the prop back then) were a bit different than all the replicas I've seen, but he said no, no way. He essentially said that he wanted to make sure that nobody could copy it, for whatever reasons.

Per his site, the Pertwee version of the key was made from a high copper content alloy. Alloy of what wasn't specified, but the shapes on the front were apparently brazed or soldered onto the main body of the key.

BTW - besides the so-so pictures in Pyramids (so-so when compared to the pics of the front in Spiders, anyway), there was also a quick flash of the back that seemed very revealing in Genesis of the Daleks. Unfortunately I don't have Genesis on DVD, just Pyramids - and thanks for reminding me, I need to go back and take some digital caps in Pyramid. For that matter I have to go back and take a look at my old screen caps (old school - 35mm off the TV from max-speed Betamax recordings) and my original drawings (if I can find them - the c. 1989 2-bit scans I do have of them leave a bit to be desired).

The frustrating thing is that there are no real usable pics of the back of Pertwee's key (if indeed different) and all the pics of front and back of the key from the Tom Baker series are pretty far away and/or moving. There a few publicity stills that offer glimpses, but they generally show only tiny parts of the key dangling from Tom's neck (early pictures of him posing with Daleks).

galacticprobe

Jul 05, 2010, 06:39 pm #42 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010, 05:55 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: hb88banzai on Jul 05, 2010, 10:10 am
I contacted the guy at doctorwhoprops a few years ago, when I first saw that he had the original prop, or at least one that was purported to come from Pertwee himself (the drawings resulting from my own research on the key back in 1986 confirmed that he either had the original or one very close to it - there are differences that I have to go back to double check weren't just TV and VCR artifacts, though).

I asked him if it might be possible to get a picture of the back as my own drawings based on what I had seen (not knowing that there might have been two versions of the prop back then) were a bit different than all the replicas I've seen, but he said no, no way. He essentially said that he wanted to make sure that nobody could copy it, for whatever reasons.

This guy sounds like a bit of a jerk (as if replicas of the Pertwee key aren't already out there!). I mean look at that not-so-great one that was on ebay; it is very close to the Pertwee key in shape and what's on the front, and was purported to have been cast from the same mould as the original - granted not so well cast - but from that maybe we could speculate that the back is fairly close to the original as well? I know that's stretching things a bit, but when resources are limited... (Or uncooperative... So... What's this "Who Prop" guy's problem?)

I got a similar response from that Philip Segal regarding the TARDIS prop from the 1996 movie. I researched around a bit at the time and found someone at Fox who was affiliated with the movie, and sent him an e-mail asking about TARDIS drawings; at the time my kids were still really kids and they wanted a TARDIS to play in, and let's face it, who doesn't? I can't remember this man's name, but he actually called me on the phone. (I sent the e-mail from work and it automatically tacked on my military signature, including my office phone number.) We talked for about a half hour and he was a really nice guy. He said he worked very closely with Philip Segal during the production, and was also a good friend of the Segal. He said if there was anything I wanted to know about "Doctor Who" that this Segal "is a self-proclaimed 'Doctor Who' expert who has loved the show since he started watching it sometime in the '70s and making this movie was like his dream come true." So I thought, WOW!

This gentleman gave me this Segal's contact info, and told me just to tell "Phil" who sent me, and we'd probably have just as great a time of talking about The Doctor as we had. So, I called Philip Segal, introduced myself, and told him who it was that had put me into contact with him. Segal's response: "Really, now?" So, I explained why I was calling, and what his friend said about him, and asked if there was any information he might have that would help me out. Segal's response, in the most patronizing tone one can imagine: "Well why don't you call the Metropolitan Police in London, England, and tell them to put you in touch with a historian." CLICK!

Since that day Philip Segal has held a special place on every sheet of bathroom tissue I've ever used.

Per his site, the Pertwee version of the key was made from a high copper content alloy. Alloy of what wasn't specified, but the shapes on the front were apparently brazed or soldered onto the main body of the key.

From the look of the key, Im going to guess that is was pewter. I'm no metallurgist, but I do know that pewter has a high copper content. (As per Wikipedia: "Pewter is a malleable metal alloy, traditionally between 85 and 99 percent tin, with the remainder consisting of copper, antimony, bismuth and lead.")

It looks like the same greyish color of the key (just like those Ren Faire mugs so many fairgoers carry on belts), and it's very easy to braze because of the tin (electronics experience there - tin brazes easily, as does copper). So, as a guess, I'll stick with pewter. I'm sure someone on the forum who knows more about it than me will chime in with more info.

BTW - besides the so-so pictures in Pyramids (so-so when compared to the pics of the front in Spiders, anyway), there was also a quick flash of the back that seemed very revealing in Genesis of the Daleks. Unfortunately I don't have Genesis on DVD, just Pyramids - and thanks for reminding me, I need to go back and take some digital caps in Pyramid. For that matter I have to go back and take a look at my old screen caps (old school - 35mm off the TV from max-speed Betamax recordings) and my original drawings (if I can find them - the c. 1989 2-bit scans I do have of them leave a bit to be desired).

The frustrating thing is that there are no real usable pics of the back of Pertwee's key (if indeed different) and all the pics of front and back of the key from the Tom Baker series are pretty far away and/or moving. There a few publicity stills that offer glimpses, but they generally show only tiny parts of the key dangling from Tom's neck (early pictures of him posing with Daleks).

Frack! I don't have a "Genesis" DVD either! And yeah, the images from "Pyramids" are difficult to see clear because the thing is moving so much as it passes to Zombie Scarman. And I'm sure the publicity stills only show the front of the key. I think the only other image we really get of the back of the key post Pertwee is in the 1996 movie when Chang Lee looks at it, and "examines" both sides. Unfortunately that DVD is nto available to we in the Colonies, so maybe someone on the right side of the Pond (no Amy jokes, please) could grab a few good stills from their DVD and post them (if that hasn't already been done)?

Dino.

philipw

Jul 05, 2010, 07:11 pm #43 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010, 07:23 pm by philipw
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 05, 2010, 06:39 pm

Since that day Philip Segal has held a special place on every sheet of bathroom tissue I've ever used.

Oh geez, I about spit out my Dr. Pepper when I read this.  :)

hb88banzai

All the keys I've seen on eBay that claim to be "cast from the same molds," etc, as the Pertwee key I can pretty well say flat out, no, they weren't.

That's not a reflection of the improbabilities involved, but rather the simple result of just a passing glance at the details of the front side that is so well documented from screen caps.