Creating the Capaldi TARDIS in the Unity Engine

Started by dichwer, May 10, 2018, 12:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dichwer

May 10, 2018, 12:09 pm Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:11 pm by dichwer
Hello sweeties!

After a long time of thinking about doing it, and several stops and starts I've finally decided to invest my time into recreating the Capaldi TARDIS (inside and out) inside of the Unity Engine.

I'm making it as part of a present to a friend, but I thought it would be kind of fun to document the build progress over here for you guys. I've made a bit of a start already, but nothing too huge. I've completed the exterior model for the box, but have created some placeholders for the interior while I work out the scale.

If it is possible for anyone at all to help with any kind of measurements that would absolutely be appreciated!

Below are some pictures of progress so far, enjoy!

acafaecef97acd8b4191384bbe630702.png

2501e75abaff52ed7c52aa822873b336.png

The14thDr

Looking great so far! For the measurements, try this thread - it has some really great blueprints: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6615.0
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

May 11, 2018, 04:31 am #2 Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:32 am by galacticprobe
Like The14thDr says, this looks great so far. (That openness with just the console inside and nothing else certainly has an eerie feeling to it!) One thing I noticed on the doors is the St. John Ambulance logo is reverse-colored (a negative image of how it looked, on the TARDIS and on real Police Boxes). Is that intentional, as a personalization of this TARDIS you're making?

Just curious because I've always liked having the logo on the TARDIS since the Hartnell days. I was sorry to see it go away just before they transitioned from Hartnell to Troughton. I was thrilled to see it come back when Moffat took over as showrunner, and now I'm sorry to see it go away again with Chris Chibnall as showrunner.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timewomble

Very nice. Are you building it up in Unity from primitive objects or modelling in another program and importing?

dichwer

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yes, I have just noticed that the colours are the wrong way around on the St Johns logo, good spot! It has now been fixed!

Also I'm making the models within 3DS Max, texturing them in Substance Painter and then porting them through into Unity!

Will post more updates soon.

dichwer

Sorry for not posting much recently, but here's another quick screenshot of how the rotor is looking so far, took me a long time to get the lights looking semi decent!!

6f2df2fefce95923f9656d10b43a8bcf.png

TheWitch

Would you say unity is better tha  unreal engine?

dichwer

'Better' is very subjective really. They both have the things that they do better than one another, but I only really go with Unity a lot because it's the one that I have a better understanding of out of the two, I would like to start doing a few things within Unreal though.

dichwer

And another screenshot for you all.

Been a busy day, proud that I possessed the willpower to make all three rotors!

f40f7e5fa7b4f1e7e677bf695f628fb0.png

rarnold

This looks absolutely amazing! It honestly looks as if it was created by the Fallout Whovegas developers

dichwer

May 18, 2018, 09:46 pm #10 Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:47 pm by dichwer
So I've pretty much spent the whole day now working on this - after setting out to make on of circular time rotors and then stopping..

Just recently added some of the roofing pieces, and made a first draft model of the walls on the top floor, they've been quite quickly placed so sorry about the gaps, but that'll all be redone neatly when I am more awake! And now, to collapse.

283decdb07ce71f901356b7d3f61e0c6.png

You'll notice that the lighting has taken a huge difference since the last screenshot, sadly the lighting is the thing that has probably taken the most time out of everything else! Please let me know what you all think, and anything you would change!

dichwer

And the latest addition to the scene..

94e26a02fc2133bee69bb6f753f6bda8.png

Fun fact - As of right now the roundels on the wall here are by far the most detailed models in the scene.

dichwer

Just another quick update shot for all of you.

52768f5e44e93026f20178c5124cdda4.png

Next on the 'To Do' list is to make the lower wall sections, so that should be done soonish!

dichwer

And there we go!

d8680fe5a76c18cc9c28c0efd76b62d1.png

Now onto the struts around the outside!

TheWitch

How do you do the emissive material Ive tried giving it a go however its not creating light