Mar 29, 2024, 03:14 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's "Tomb of the Cybermat"

Started by The14thDr, Jul 07, 2017, 06:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Jul 07, 2017, 06:22 pm Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 09:46 pm by The14thDr
Next up on my to-do list of Second Doctor props are the original Cybermats from Tomb of the Cybermen. As I understand it, there were two versions seen in this story, and I've decided to try my hand at the smaller one.
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2795.PNG

Once I'd collected my reference images, I drew up some quick blueprints.
IMG_2797.JPG

I then made a cardboard mock-up of the 4 segments, which I'll use as moulds to create the finished Cybermat (and maybe more - I could have a whole army of them! ;D)
IMG_2799.JPG

Let me know what you think, your feedback is always appreciated. :)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

kert gantry

Looking good!

Here's one my friend Penny made me as a surprise. I like the tiny Tomb Cybermats the best.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015 (2).jpg

The14thDr

Thanks! :)

Your friend Penny is very talented - that's a great replica! (I only hope mine will turn out as good as that)

And I agree; I much prefer the tiny ones from Tomb to any of the other designs - in particular the Revenge of the Cybermen versions!

kert gantry

Oh yes, the Revenge of the Cyberhoovers. Terrible.  :P

Be great if you did manage to make a little swarm of them. Not sure if that's the right collective noun for Cybermats.

The14thDr

Jul 08, 2017, 07:18 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017, 07:26 am by The14thDr
Quote from: kert gantry on Jul 07, 2017, 09:55 pm
Be great if you did manage to make a little swarm of them. Not sure if that's the right collective noun for Cybermats.

I've no idea on the collective term (although "swarm" does seem to fit rather well) but an army of Cybermats would be really cool (perhaps I could build one of each design - yes, even the dreaded "Cyberhoover" from Revenge ::))

Here's the first "cast" of the Cybermat from yesterday evening. Basically I just pressed clay into the cardboard moulds and then carefully removed the cardboard to give me four solid segments. Unfortunately I had to destroy the moulds in order to get the clay out, so that puts a stop to my plans for a quick-and-easy swarm. ::) ;D
IMG_2807.JPG

All of the pieces will need some clean-up once the clay sets fully, to fill in some of the cracks and sand down the flat edges.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

kert gantry

I like that you've given it the properly droopy aerials that the Tomb tinies had (did the aerials perk up when they came alive? I can't remember).

Of the other designs you might be attempting, The Wheel In Space 'Mats were pretty cool. The loss of the rather endearing flowery designs on the eyes gave them a much more sinister look     

The14thDr

Thank you! :) At first I wasn't too sure about the droopy antennae, to me they didn't look right for some reason. However, the shape has grown on me slightly.  As for them perking up when the Cybermats came alive, I can't say for sure, having not seen the episodes yet (I'm just working from screengrabs)

The Wheel in Space Cybermats will most likely be next on my list - the larger "Tomb" versions just don't seem menacing enough to me (they looks more like cuddly, harmless little critters - although I suppose that makes them more dangerous, by luring you into a false sense of security ;D)

The14thDr

I've taken a break to work on a few other projects, but this morning I had a spare half an hour to work on my Cybermat.

I sanded each of the clay pieces to make the edges flatter and more angular, then glued the segments together.
IMG_3392.JPG
IMG_3394.JPG

All it needs now is some silver paint and the eyes. Stay tuned. :)

russellsuthern

Nice little pet you've got there!!

Is it expensive to keep?
Does it eat AA batteries, or do you just plug it into the mains? ;)

Seriously, though that's great work.

You could hollow out the bottom & stick a little radio controlled car into it so you can whizz it around & scare the hell out of the cat!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished look with the silver paint applied!!

Russell

The14thDr

Quote from: russellsuthern on Aug 22, 2017, 11:52 am
Nice little pet you've got there!!

Is it expensive to keep?
Does it eat AA batteries, or do you just plug it into the mains? ;)

Oh, you don't know the half of it! Sometimes I let it chew through the mains box at the end of the road to get a quick boost. ;)

You could hollow out the bottom & stick a little radio controlled car into it so you can whizz it around & scare the hell out of the cat!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished look with the silver paint applied!!

Russell

Thank you! :) That's a great idea, j might make another one at some point so I can have a static version and an R/C version (unfortunately I don't have a cat, but I guess the neighbour's will do ;))

galacticprobe

Aug 23, 2017, 02:01 am #10 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2017, 02:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Aug 22, 2017, 01:35 pm
Sometimes I let it chew through the mains box at the end of the road to get a quick boost. ;)

And then twice a day it poops out a few AA batteries. (Beats having to buy them at the store! ;D)

I couldn't agree more! This is going to look great once it's all painted, 14th... especially with its googly eyes stuck on.

Quote from: The14thDr on Aug 22, 2017, 01:35 pm
...might make another one at some point so I can have a static version and an R/C version (unfortunately I don't have a cat, but I guess the neighbour's will do ;))

That would be really cool to see! (Both! ;D ;D ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

May 06, 2018, 12:48 pm #11 Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:52 pm by The14thDr
A recent viewing of The Tomb of the Cybermen for the first time inspired me to continue working on this little critter.

One thing I noticed when comparing mine to the original prop is that the head should be a lot more curved and less "blocky", so I used an X-Acto knife and sandpaper to round off the edges and generally just reshape the head until I was happy with it.
I also noticed that the current antennae were a lot thicker than they appear to be in the episode, so I replaced them with bent paper clips which were much thinner.

For the eyes, I took two clear flat-backed rhinestones and painted a black circle on the front of each to represent the pupils. I then attached these to a pair of cup washers which glued into small recessed that I had carved into the Cybermat's face.

Finally, I used a little glue to fix the antennae in place and the little guy is complete! (And it only took me 10 months! ;D)
E19A8847-1246-405D-86F0-EE969C9FD592.jpeg
59CE8BF3-05E9-4BE8-A025-EA1059F24FF9.jpeg

elkad

Hold him in your hand for a comparison shot.  :)

russellsuthern

"It's not a rat, It's a Cybermat...." :)

That is a lovely little model.

Really well made.

Love the B & W shot!

Regards,

Russell

The14thDr

Quote from: russellsuthern on May 06, 2018, 05:02 pm
"It's not a rat, It's a Cybermat...." :)

That is a lovely little model.

Really well made.

Love the B & W shot!

Don't worry, "it's as dead as a stone!" Thanks Russell, I'm really pleased with how this turned out (even if it did take a lot longer than expected ;D) but I'm glad others like it too. It just wouldn't feel right building a prop from the 60s and not posting a B&W photo - in fact I think I prefer it to the colour shot!

Quote from: elkad on May 06, 2018, 04:40 pm
Hold him in your hand for a comparison shot.  :)

Willingly obliged:

B4503AC5-6DDC-4840-9957-BCC2A7D8C068.jpeg

I tried to recreate the two shots at the very top of the thread but gave up after half an hour of not being able to get the shots just right.

I made the little critter just slightly longer than the width of my hand as this seemed about right compared to when Jamie picks it up in the episode.