Apr 28, 2024, 07:07 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mike Verta's CG TY-J Project

Started by mverta, Apr 11, 2018, 01:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mverta

The support posts are temporary - they're next, but I thought I'd bring the assembly together with an internal bulb and take a look.  The bulb inside is just a standard-shaped A21 bulb, but it's interesting how the Fresnel effect makes it look elongated.  I've seen this shape to the light on the real one many times.

Cap_Test_5.jpg

Scarfwearer

That's amazing.
You know we're going to want to see it with the lamp shining now, right? :)

mverta

...and 88 multi-core processors wept. 

But, yes. 

galacticprobe

Apr 22, 2018, 05:14 am #33 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 05:15 am by galacticprobe
Too bad they don't have a "true" clear filament for 3D printing. I'd love to see the STL files for that lens so my son could print one out if such a filament existed. (Though a frosted one is tempting, using what they call "clear".) That render looks like you could actually, as Crispin said earlier, reach out and touch it... lift it right off of that bench! Absolutely amazing!

And yes; you got its profile perfect! The bulbs inside the lenses on our ships' lights also looked elongated through the lenses, so that's spot on as well. Brilliant!

Dino.
P. S. I don't mean to derail the thread - Just curious - but, Karst, did you really render your lens... complete with the embossed "MADE IN U.S.A" on the top rim, and "CORNING" on the central bulge? ;) If you did, that's what I call attention to detail!
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mverta

What's this? Is the actual cap a known/found item?

Mark

I think Dino was speaking about the lens rather than the cap. The lens I have has numbers moulded onto it as well as an anchor symbol.

I'm not sure if the cap was a made item or a re-purposed item which obviously doesn't help you.

Rassilons Rod

I could have sworn I had commented the other day. But this is absolutely beautiful work. I only wish I could get my 3D to look this realistic!!

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 22, 2018, 05:14 am
Too bad they don't have a "true" clear filament for 3D printing. I'd love to see the STL files for that lens so my son could print one out if such a filament existed. (Though a frosted one is tempting, using what they call "clear".) That render looks like you could actually, as Crispin said earlier, reach out and touch it... lift it right off of that bench! Absolutely amazing!

Of course, it could be printed in anything and then cast in clear resin ;)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 22, 2018, 05:14 am
P. S. I don't mean to derail the thread - Just curious - but, Karst, did you really render your lens... complete with the embossed "MADE IN U.S.A" on the top rim, and "CORNING" on the central bulge? ;) If you did, that's what I call attention to detail!

yessssssss :P
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

bjones

Exactly to your exacting standards. I know you'll add the word CORNING to your Fresnel, too.

Keep up the excellent work my friend.

Barry

mverta

Well if it's a known model/item and I can get one, or measure one, or get reference photos and match the font or vector it, sure...

galacticprobe

Apr 24, 2018, 04:46 am #40 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 04:47 am by galacticprobe
I would just use karsthotep's image for reference when it comes to the markings on the lens. After seeing as many of those lenses as I have in my career, I can say that there were several different fonts used for the embossed markings, depending on who made the lenses. Also, most of those lenses were made 50 or so years ago and with changing fonts through the decades, some of them aren't even used now, which is why some people make their Top Signs or Phone Panel sign graphics themselves, tracing out the lettering sometimes pixel by pixel.

So if you use Karst's lens as a quide, I'd say you'll be 99 44/100 percent accurate.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mverta

It's okay, I found one, marked with Corning and the Made in USA on the edge, too.  Should be here by the weekend.

Scarfwearer

karsthotep

Uh yeah..where did you get it? i have been looking all weekend for another one, The seattle warehouse that i had used to longer carries them.  Do you have another source?
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

mverta

I just found it on ebay, but it's a 2/3rds housing, not a complete cylinder - it's like somebody cut a pie-shaped wedge out of it. This was perfect for me because it has a cross section edge which I can scan and get the profile exactly correct.