Brachacki Original TARDIS Photogrammetry

Started by dw_1200, Apr 01, 2018, 09:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

So, on the main picture have you used 1.5" or 1.25" depth? On the two smaller pictures, 1.5" looks closer and matches what we saw on the side panels from the picture from Marco Polo......

Don't worry about the slight mis-match on the corner-posts at this stage, I'm hoping that this will be resolved by the slight adjustment to the width of the door opening I mentioned in my last post.

If 1.5" is what we're now saying is the correct the depth for the doors, by reference to the Marco Polo picture and also by reference to the face on picture from "The Chase", we should now be in a position to finalise/confirm the height of the steps above the front and rear doors.

Thanks yet again Slava!  :)

T

dw_1200

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 09, 2018, 09:44 pm
So, on the main picture have you used 1.5" or 1.25" depth?

Oops, my bad, forgot to include dims. Yes, on the main picture the depth is 1.5"

tony farrell

Apr 09, 2018, 11:00 pm #32 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2018, 11:01 pm by Tony Farrell
Excellent!

So, if we now use the depth of 1.5" and overlay this dimension on to the Marco Polo picture and on to 'face-on' picture from "The Chase", this should enable the heights of the three steps above the doors to be finalised.

I'm enjoying 'working' with you on this!  :)

T

fivefingeredstyre

I'm loving watching this come together guys!

Angelus Lupus

Several posts back this went beyond my ability to comprehend how these measurements were being extrapolated. :o So, as of now, I'm doing whatever the online equivalent is of nodding politely during the discussion until you reach a consensus - at which point I'll applaud everyone's efforts and marvel (in mild bewilderment) at the details this forum is able to discover.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

tony farrell

Apr 10, 2018, 12:21 am #35 Last Edit: Apr 10, 2018, 12:28 am by Tony Farrell
All that has happened is that Slava created a 'wire frame' diagram from the dimensions I proposed last year. The original 'wire frame' (and therefore the dimensions I originally proposed) didn't quite match the various HD photographs onto which it was overlaid.

We are now working our way through the dimensions and adjusting them as necessary so that the ensuing (revised) wire frame will match the photos.

There is an element of trial and error here in that if a dimension is adjusted by - say - a quarter of an inch it might appear to match a particular photo taken from one angle but not then match a photo taken from a different angle. So, the actual adjustment needed to get a match from the various angles might not be 0.25" but rather 0.375".

It's a bit tedious and I thank Slava for his patience and willingness to revisit the various 'trial' dimensions until the closest possible match to the 'true' dimensions is achieved.

At the end of the process, in theory, the finalised wire frame should be capable of being overlaid on to any photo of the Brachacki Tardis no matter what angle that photo has been taken from and there should be no discernable differences between the two.

That way we will finally have as screen-accurate dimensions for the original Tardis as are possible.  :)

T

dw_1200

Apr 11, 2018, 05:51 pm #36 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2018, 05:56 pm by dw_1200
Here are some new overlays (cheers, I finally found some spare time to work on these!)

101. an_unearthly_child.jpg

An Unearthly Child

104. marco_polo_new.jpg

Marco Polo

208. the_chase_new.jpg

The Chase

dw_1200

May 02, 2018, 10:44 pm #37 Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:47 pm by dw_1200
After 3 weeks of adjusting, tweaking and experimenting with heights and widths, we finally got an almost exact match to the original box (as it's possible)
As usual, I'll post some wireframe overlays to prove that dimensions are accurate and Tony will post his updated plans later.

AUC 1.jpg
AUC 2.jpg
Marco Polo 1.jpg
Marco Polo 2.jpg
Marco Polo 3.jpg
TDIoE.jpg
The Chase 1.jpg
The Chase 2.jpg
TAS.jpg

lym

Oh, now that's beautiful. Well done to the both of you!

tony farrell

May 02, 2018, 11:31 pm #39 Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:14 pm by Tony Farrell
Firstly, can I say just how much I appreciate the time and effort Slava has been willing to give to this project!

Secondly, if you open the images Slava has posted in a separate tab and use the 'magnifying glass', you'll be able to see them at full size.

Thirdly, as Slava has indicated, here are the plans from which he has created the 'wire frames'.

Cue drum roll, fireworks and rousing music! :)

Ladies and gentlemen, in association with Vyacheslav Talanov, it is my pleasure to present to you the most accurate plans of the original Brachacki Tardis that are possible:

Brachacki Front Elevation with 0.875 quadrants - doors & sides set back by 0.125.png
Brachacki Side Elevations with 0.875 quadrants - doors & sides set back by 0.125.png

T

(Edited - typographical error corrected on side panel diagram. Thanks to Jonathan Picard for pointing this out.)

karsthotep

I love this forum.  Hats off to you both for incredible dedication to our fandom.  Love it simply beautiful
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

galacticprobe

May 03, 2018, 05:53 am #41 Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:54 am by galacticprobe
What Karst said! This effort can only be described as Herculean, and the results speak for themselves. I literally don't know what more to say about this other than that you both deserve a medal for this work.

Bravo Zulu!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Absolutely fabulous and amazing!
Thank you both so much for doing this!

tony farrell

Thank you Crispin (and everyone else who has commented), much appreciated!

I've taken the liberty of updating Lespaceplie's topic (see http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=644.msg106576#msg106576), I wonder therefore if you might care to update your table of the available plans?

Once Slava and I have recovered our sanity, I might ask him if he'd be willing to carry out a similar exercise on the Altered Brachacki Tardis (after all, we now have the dimensions for the side panels) and then maybe move on to the Newbery version too.... I shall have to ask him.  ;)

Thank you and thanks once again to Mr Talanov!

T