News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Apr 16, 2021, 05:12 pm #975 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2021, 05:21 pm by russellsuthern
Hey, Bill,
Well, the plan is to do "Shada" next, then season 18, then look at other cosplay opportunities, such as the "Tom on tour" look...

Once you start looking at vintage Tom Baker pics, you just can't stop.  ;D
It seems to be a very deep rabbit hole!!

Here's another pic of the coat, at a convention with some other Doctors.
He seems to be wearing the coat with a normal length scarf.
Peter & Jon look to be in full costume, but I am a bit intrigued by Pat's get up...The trousers, shirt & bow tie look the part, but the coat looks more like something Jon would wear?

31.jpg

I do find these old pics fascinating...I hope you do too!!

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Just a few more....

This one is from Tom's 1st photo shoot with Lis...
I guess they hadn't sorted his costume out yet, as he wears a dark coat with a huge fur collar...

27.jpg

In this one he appears to be wearing some kind of mac (grey or light brown?) with a regular scarf as well as his Dr Who scarf!

28.jpg

And finally, here are some pics which I believe are from before he got the role.
He's sporting a very dashing 'tache with a cool flared collared shirt/jacket combo.
Also, he is indulging in his favourite pastimes of drinking & smoking!!

29.jpg

30.jpg

I'm sure many of you guys have seen these pics before, but I find them fascinating & think It's nice to include them here for the sake of completion.  ;D

Best regards,

Russell

Rassilons Rod

I haven't seen that last one before...

What about this one? Google says it was at some place called the "Colony Club"...

DT-vmlcW4AAKsSL.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

redfern

Seeing Tom with the 'stache and Van Dyke reminds me of something a speculated upon the Gallifrey Base forums.  Imagine if "Keeper of Traken" had been Tom Baker's swan song story instead of "Logopolis".  As we know, the degenerated Master's plan was to steal the Doctor's remaining regenerations with the aid of the Source Manipulator..  Of course, his plan failed but he had just enough power to take over the body of Tremas.  But what if the Master's plan had been a bit more, but still not fully successful?  What if he, in effect, absorbed the form of Tom's body, just not the rest of the Doctor's regenerations?  The ordeal, in turn, triggers a regeneration for the Doctor.  (I don't know if Peter Davison had already been selected before or sometime after the recording of "...Traken", but for the sake of argument, let's assume the newest Doctor still wound up being Davison.)  So, instead of Anthony Ainley causing trouble for Davison's Doctor, it would have been Tom Baker himself playing the Doctor's arch nemesis!  Seeing Tom with that saturnine beard there, he does look quite "Masterful".  Alternatively, remember Koura from the climax of "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad", after he had regained his youth and his facial hair was once again jet black.  He looked downright imposing, especially with his piercing blue eyes!  I know Tom wanted to distance himself from the show after stepping down, but I think he would have had a blast figuratively (and possibly literally) twirling his mustache in Machiavellian fashion!

Sincerely,

Bill

russellsuthern

Great pic, RR-  Tom at a bar?? Whoda thunk it??!

Bill:  I think you are closer to the mark than you realize...
I'm sure I remember Tom saying in a (pre 50th anniversary) interview that he'd only come back to"Who" if he could play the Master, like an "Evil twin" of the Doctor....

I think Tom was very interested in the duality/similarity of good & evil...
I'm sure I remember him saying he did a stage version of Sherlock Holmes (as well as the film he did), & he decided to play Sherlock & Moriaty almost exactly the same,as if they were mirrors of each other, but it was a total disaster as the audience could never work out which character he was supposed to be!!  ;D   :o

Regards,

Russell

meantimebob

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 16, 2021, 05:12 pmHey, Bill,
Well, the plan is to do "Shada" next, then season 18, then look at other cosplay opportunities, such as the "Tom on tour" look...

Once you start looking at vintage Tom Baker pics, you just can't stop.  ;D
It seems to be a very deep rabbit hole!!

Here's another pic of the coat, at a convention with some other Doctors.
He seems to be wearing the coat with a normal length scarf.
Peter & Jon look to be in full costume, but I am a bit intrigued by Pat's get up...The trousers, shirt & bow tie look the part, but the coat looks more like something Jon would wear?

31.jpg

I do find these old pics fascinating...I hope you do too!!

Regards,

Russell

That's Pat wearing Jon's cape. I think that was the occasion where Tom stood apart from the other Doctors on the stage so he wouldn't be photographed alongside them, so they shuffled over to him - haha.

meantimebob

Quote from: Rassilons Rod on Apr 16, 2021, 05:48 pmI haven't seen that last one before...

What about this one? Google says it was at some place called the "Colony Club"...

DT-vmlcW4AAKsSL.jpg

That was a very select drinking establishment in the heart of Soho. Also present are Jeffrey Bernard and Francis Bacon.

russellsuthern

Great stories!
And an elite bunch of drinking buddies!!

;D

Thanks

Russ

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 16, 2021, 05:20 pm29.jpg
It's very odd seeing Tom with a beard! At least now I know what it might have looked like if Billy Connolly had been cast as the Doctor! ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Volpone

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 16, 2021, 09:00 pmGreat pic, RR-  Tom at a bar?? Whoda thunk it??!

Bill:  I think you are closer to the mark than you realize...
I'm sure I remember Tom saying in a (pre 50th anniversary) interview that he'd only come back to"Who" if he could play the Master, like an "Evil twin" of the Doctor....

I think Tom was very interested in the duality/similarity of good & evil...
I'm sure I remember him saying he did a stage version of Sherlock Holmes (as well as the film he did), & he decided to play Sherlock & Moriaty almost exactly the same,as if they were mirrors of each other, but it was a total disaster as the audience could never work out which character he was supposed to be!!  ;D   :o

Regards,

Russell
That has kind of been my take on it:  The difference between the Doctor and the Master is companions.  The First Doctor starts out selfish and arrogant and amoral but he's got Susan to think about.  And then Ian and Barbara nudge him in the right direction.  I've always wished they'd had it so the Master wasn't trying to take over the earth or whatever because he was muwahahaha! EEEEVIL, he was doing it because humans are weak and flawed and stupid and everything will be so much better if they just do what he tells them. 

Trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure the Master has used that ploy to tempt the Doctor at least once--"think about it, if you were in charge, you could make things *better*!"
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Volpone:  Yeah,
The Master is always better a bit underplayed, rather than "pantomime."

Angelus:  Billy as the Doctor?
Might not be a bad choice, actually... After all, we've had Scottish Doctors before & films like "Mrs Brown" show that he could act...  ;D

Angelus Lupus

Certainly makes you wonder what costume an in-his-prime, Fyffes-banana-boots-wearing Big Yin might have worn!  :o
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

russellsuthern

Apr 19, 2021, 04:45 pm #987 Last Edit: Apr 19, 2021, 05:01 pm by russellsuthern
Well, indeed!

So I found another picture which I downloaded because I hadn't seen it before & I liked it.
But something about it didn't seem right...

I assumed he was wearing his "Seeds of Doom", "Brain of Morbius" coat, BUT that coat has a dark brown velvet cuff & this coat has no cuffs, so it can't be that one... plus it doesn't appear to have the visible check pattern of his "wedding" coat, so I think I may have found another one!

32.jpg

It is difficult to tell with the scarf over the top, which is why many cosplayers say you don't have to worry too much about getting Tom's costume exactly right because once you have bunged the scarf over the top it hides everything anyway!

As always, if anyone has any background to the picture, or any other comment, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks!

Russell

BTW:  I just realized that it was 10 years ago today that we lost the wonderful Lis Sladen.
         Still upset about that one even today.
         I still remember the shock when the news broke as if it was yesterday. I just couldn't believe it.
        I'll be raising a glass of wine in her memory tonight....

meantimebob

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 19, 2021, 04:45 pmWell, indeed!

So I found another picture which I downloaded because I hadn't seen it before & I liked it.
But something about it didn't seem right...

I assumed he was wearing his "Seeds of Doom", "Brain of Morbius" coat, BUT that coat has a dark brown velvet cuff & this coat has no cuffs, so it can't be that one... plus it doesn't appear to have the visible check pattern of his "wedding" coat, so I think I may have found another one!

32.jpg

It is difficult to tell with the scarf over the top, which is why many cosplayers say you don't have to worry too much about getting Tom's costume exactly right because once you have bunged the scarf over the top it hides everything anyway!

As always, if anyone has any background to the picture, or any other comment, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks!

Russell

BTW:  I just realized that it was 10 years ago today that we lost the wonderful Lis Sladen.
        Still upset about that one even today.
        I still remember the shock when the news broke as if it was yesterday. I just couldn't believe it.
        I'll be raising a glass of wine in her memory tonight....

Great photo. Would it have been to promote The Pescatons?

russellsuthern

Meantimebob:

I think you are right!

As evidenced here:

p1.jpg p2.jpg

Great spot!

Right, that's THAT one solved... ;D

Cheers,

Russ