Apr 16, 2024, 10:31 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Thinking about "City of Death," you have two 4th Doctor stories that sit at opposite ends of things:  1) The Doctor is in way over his head:  "Pyramids of Mars", "State of Decay."  Yes, he's up against the henchmen and hirelings most of the time, but if Sutekh or the Great Vampire get loose, look out, and 2) The Doctor is dealing with a dangerous amateur:  "City of Death" and "Talons of Weng Chiang."  No, they don't know what they're doing and their plan has no chance of succeeding, but if they go through with it, it will still screw everything up for everyone else. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

That's very interesting.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but it is fascinating the different level of power the Doctors opponents have.
Sutekh & The Great Vampire have almost infinite, god-like power, but the writers always find ways of making sure they can't actually use that power (trapped in a force field or buried underground.)

Other foes have no real power as such, as you say, just amateurs bumbling around making trouble.

I always thought the threat level of a villain was always set by the Doctors reaction to them.

How can we take Scaroth seriously when the Doctor is so flippant throughout the whole series?

Of all the villains we have just mentioned, Sutekh was the one that scared me the most. Probably because I was younger, but also because Tom seemed to take the whole thing so seriously.

Just as superhero fans love making lists of how powerful superheroes & villains are, I wonder if anyone has done a list of top 10 most powerful Dr Who villains?

Also, what counts as a villain?

After all, we've had a sentient sun, even a sentient Universe!

(Also just pure power is not the only factor when looking at threat level. I mean, a Cyberman is a lot more powerful that the Master, but I bet the Doctor would rather face a Cyberman rather than the Master!)

Interesting stuff...

Cheers,

Russell

redfern

I always thought it was a great testiment that Sutekh could exude much menace while speaking almost smoothingly, his face hidden and sitting imobile.  Likewise for Davros...when he was NOT screaming.  Far more imposing when he spoke softly, quietly describing planetary genocide as though talking about weeding a garden, like the (in)famous viral vial exchange, "To hold in my hand, a capsule..."  Of course, I understand why he lapsed into a screaming fit at the end, to let us see how much he had become like his creations, blinded by violent psychosis, but he's far more chilling when "restrained".

Still, Sutekh wins the crown because his voice is almost melodious, enhanced with only a slight echo effect.

Sincerely,

Bill

russellsuthern

Yup, Sutekh takes the gold star for minimalist scariness.  ;D

Which is why they brought his voice, Gabriel Woolf, back to voice the Beast in the David Tennant episodes "The Impossible Planet" & "The Satan Pit."

When in doubt, go for the best...

"Don't turn round..."

Russell

redfern

Didn't Woolf reprise Sutekh for Big Finish?  If so, I'd like to purchase those productions!

Sincerely,

Bill

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: redfern on Jan 14, 2021, 04:56 pmDidn't Woolf reprise Sutekh for Big Finish?  If so, I'd like to purchase those productions!

Sincerely,

Bill

I think he did. But he also voiced The Beast in The Impossible Planet/ The Satan Pit 😈😈
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

redfern

Quote from: Rassilons Rod on Jan 14, 2021, 05:21 pm
Quote from: redfern on Jan 14, 2021, 04:56 pmDidn't Woolf reprise Sutekh for Big Finish?  If so, I'd like to purchase those productions!

I think he did. But he also voiced The Beast in 😈😈

Yeah, I knew about his voice work for "The Impossible Planet/ The Satan Pit".  Though I wonder if they tweaked Woolf's voice or if he purposely spoke differently because it sounded far deeper than his Sutekh role.  To me, it just didn't sound much like Gabriel.

Sincerely,

Bill

Rassilons Rod

Well, it was also made 30 years later..... people's voices do change over time 😁
Public Enema Number One.

Volpone

Well, since I'm guilty of this derailment, getting back on topic, once you line up your disco-era suit for the final pictures, it will be exciting to see the one where you stick your fingers into your real face, rip it off, and reveal the Jagaroth mask underneath. 

Ha!  There's another thing you need--a rubber mask that can be ripped off in a clever edit so it looks like you're ripping off your actual face.  ;) Or you could just "fix it in post." 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Jan 16, 2021, 07:30 pm #699 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2021, 07:38 pm by russellsuthern
Spoilers!!!!!

But, Volpone, since you mention it, yes, I am planning a dramatic "reveal" shot!

Can't wait to get my teeth into, & finish, my "City of Death" cosplay... but must be patient...

However, one thing I do need is a "Mona Lisa" to wave around dressed as Scaroth, as if I've just nicked it.

So I got my brushes out & had a go.

The fake is on the left. My original is on the right...
You can tell mine is the original because I have written "Not a Fake" on it. This means people will know it's the real deal when I flog it on EBay & make my fortune!

c141.jpg  c144.jpg

Genuinely can't tell the difference!   ;D
Might go into forgery full time...

Hope you like my meagre daubs...

Best,

Russell

kutan66

Can't stop laughing at that!

redfern

I really needed a good laugh this morning!  No, not depressed or anything serious bumming me out; I just like to start the day with a great guffaw!

I am reminded of that "recent" incident when a lil' old lady decided to "restore" some faded, chipping Byzantine portrait of Christ...her result resembling a lower order primate after suffering a teleport accident!  And the dear ol' biddy honestly believed she had "helped".

Authority figure on megaphone:  "Please, Lady, put down the paint brush and step away from the fresco!"

Sincerely,

Bill

Rassilons Rod

;D  ;D  ;D   ;D
Public Enema Number One.

russellsuthern

Thanks guys.
We all need a laugh at the moment.

Bill: I remember that lady doing her fresco "restoration".
That story had me in hysterics of laughter!!

For those who haven't seen it, I found the images on google:

Jesus_PaintingNEW_293150090.jpeg

Absolutely brilliant!

I still laugh every time I see it!!

Cheers,

Russell

russellsuthern

Greetings!!

I got fed up with not being able to move forward with my "City of Death" cosplay, so I started work on the following adventure: "Creature from the Pit."

I got loads done, & started to get impatient to show you my progress.
Patience has never really been a strong point of mine, so I decided to break with tradition.
I'm going to show you my "Creature" cosplay efforts, then go back to "City" when I'm able to. (Think of it as a repeat :)  )

Although "Creature" was shown third in the series, it was actually produced first.
(It's convenient to assume "Destiny" & "City" were made first, blowing all the money & effort, & this is why things went downhill from there, but that isn't true.)
Actually, "Creature" ain't that bad.
It provides a few good laughs & only the creature prop itself & the ending were above the budgetary constraints placed upon it.

It's not going to be in many people's top tens, but It's okay.
I was only going to do a couple of photos for this one, but once I started working on it I got all excited & did quite a bit more than I had originally planned.   ;D

So... Because this was filmed first, Tom wears exactly the same garb as he did in "Armageddon Factor."

The first picture I wanted to recreate is the one where Tom jumps down the pit to escape Adrastas' clutches.

He pulls a nice little prop from his pocket & of course, this is my take on the prop in question:

cp1.jpg

It wasn't too difficult to recreate. I just found an old paperback, which I recovered with the correct title I printed off.
Not sure if I got the font exactly right, but It's close enough for me!:

cp2.jpg

This is the picture I'm trying to recreate:

cp3.jpg

And this is my effort:

"Skyag Pa!"
"Rogs Pa Byed!"
"Ril I Khung!"

cp5.jpg

Hope you enjoy.
More coming soon.

Regards,