Apr 24, 2024, 09:34 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

I think the purple is my favourite of his coats followed closely by the light grey with suede cuffs he wears in Android Invasion etc.

I think you've got the look of this outfit  just right.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Volpone

What I'm going to take away from this is that the 4th Doctor had a variety of frock coats that were either a dark (but not black) solid color or some kind of tweed/grey.  Soooo...  If you find a frock coat-looking thing that fits that description, you could call it accurate and feel relatively good about it, because he didn't have a standard costume/uniform like the Doctors after him in the classic series. 

(And of course there's the pre-"Pyramids" short jacket and cardigan look.) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Apr 09, 2021, 07:05 am #962 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2021, 07:07 am by russellsuthern
Thanks Cardinal!

Volpone,
Absolutely.  ;D

Toms look changed over the years he was in the role more than any other Doctor, except maybe Pertwee, so It's easier to mix & match & to add your own touches & still come up with something that looks perfectly "Baker" to anyone who sees it. ;)

Regards,

Russell

Rassilons Rod

Apr 09, 2021, 07:41 am #963 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2021, 01:42 pm by Rassilons Rod
Quote from: Volpone on Apr 09, 2021, 01:26 am(And of course there's the pre-"Pyramids" short jacket and cardigan look.) 

The famous Prince of Wales waistcoat actually replaced the cardigan in Zygons. Surprised me when I found that out, because I knew how long the shooting jacket lasted but always associated it with the cardigan too. (admittedly, that was a while ago now).
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

russellsuthern

Yup,
You are right..
I love how the costume evolved & changed gradually as the series progressed, & how bits from previous adventures such as "Talons" & "Deadly Assassin" were often re used for later adventures. Gave the whole thing much more of an organic feel, like they were "clothes" & not a "costume".

I guess that's why season 18 jarred a bit, even though I like the outfit, it felt like he was wearing a uniform rather than just an eccentric collection of bohemian garments he threw together from the TARDIS wardrobe...

(Btw: I much preferred the waistcoat to the diamond cardigan.  :)  )

Regards,

Russell

Cardinal Hordriss

One thing that I always wondered is why he  didn't visibly melt. So many layers, jacket, shirt, cardigan or waiscoat, scarf, sometimes hat... add the warmth of just normal indoor environments then add studio lights and running about why the hell wasn't he pouring with sweat?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Volpone

Concur.  Had to go back and look at some pics.  He's still wearing the ascot/scarf with an open collar instead of the wing collar and cravat/bow.  And he's got the brown hooded overcoat from "The Sontaran Experiment."  I am going to put "Terror of the Zygons" as a kind of 1.0 on the classic costume.  They did the waistcoat because he was doing a kind of Scottish costume at the start of the episode and it looked nice.  And the costumers decided he looked better with a longer coat, so they switched to the "Pyramids..." look and eventually decided brown looked better than plum so we got the "final" pre-series 18 look. 

And of course as Tom Baker got older and got more influence with the show, I'm guessing he decided the waistcoat, wing collar, and tie were uncomfortable, along with liking the boots from "Face of Evil" (or maybe the boots from "Deadly Assassin"--or maybe they just had some shooting in muddy terrain, like Pertwee's Wellies from "Carnival of Monsters") so we wound up with the open collar, no/unbuttoned waistcoat, and buccaneer boots of the later years.  (Or should I say middle period?)  Gotta wonder if they could've got him to go back to the more comfortable neckerchief and cardigan from his first season or if being too hot was also a factor, as the good Cardinal mentioned. 

I was going to apologize for hijacking the thread, but on consideration, in a thread on Tom Baker's costumes throughout his run, a discussion of Tom Baker's costumes throughout his run is completely on-topic.  Still, if we want to get back to pictures of you in drag, I'll stop yammering.  ;) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Cardinal:

You are right, he must have been boiling!
I believe this why he was wearing the hat less & less & why he graduated to the open neck, scarf round the outside of the coat collar look as the years rolled by because it was just cooler!

He must have been secretly gutted in season 18, When he was given a massively heavy outfit that just swamped him!!

Volpone:

Well, part of the whole idea of starting this thread was to stimulate conversations pertaining to Tom's costumes, so I could indulge my passion of warbling on about this, my most favourite of subjects, so you are not hijacking the thread in any way..  ;D

However, if you are worried, I could start a separate thread where I drag up as various female characters from the show over the years...  ;)

I think I'll start with the Old Mother from "Cave of Skulls".....  :o

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Hi all...

Hope you are well.

Wondering if someone can help me with this little puzzle....

I was researching Tom's coats in the old Internet & came across a rather strange picture...

It's from a site selling autographs.

However, The coat & trousers look like nothing he has ever worn on screen before...

16.jpg

I'm guessing they are his own as he often wore his own clothes for photoshoots, just bunging the scarf over the top...

I'm thinking the coat is the same one he wore when he married Lalla?

17.jpg

If anyone has any info regarding the picture, I'd very very intrigued to know!!

Thanks in advance,

Russell

scotland yard

Never seen that one before!
Coat most definitely his. Trousers, probably not actually.
During s17, he used two pair of trousers: the checked ones that debuted on s16, and a pair of grey trousers which seem to be plain grey.
The thing with these seemingly plain grey trousers is that they're actually checked, it's just that the picture quality of s17 is not exactly HD so it isn't always obvious.
On Steve Rick's blog, the picture of the Doctor's knee in Destiny of the Daleks shows the check. Might be the same pair as in the photo you've just published.
Oh my giddy aunt!!

Volpone

Just brainstorming, but IIRC, he wasn't a huge fan of the final season plum costume.  And he was lounging in a deck chair in the opening of that season for "The Leisure Hive."  I wonder if this picture was taken while they were getting stuff ready to go for the location shoot out at the beach.  Didn't they have the old hat and scarf on the hatrack in the control room?  Just throw them on with his street clothes, sit down in one of the chairs, and let someone snap the picture.  Like I said, that's just a wild guess, but it's one I'd be willing to argue at a cocktail party.
-The Doctor.

meantimebob

Quote from: Volpone on Apr 16, 2021, 12:41 amJust brainstorming, but IIRC, he wasn't a huge fan of the final season plum costume.  And he was lounging in a deck chair in the opening of that season for "The Leisure Hive."  I wonder if this picture was taken while they were getting stuff ready to go for the location shoot out at the beach.  Didn't they have the old hat and scarf on the hatrack in the control room?  Just throw them on with his street clothes, sit down in one of the chairs, and let someone snap the picture.  Like I said, that's just a wild guess, but it's one I'd be willing to argue at a cocktail party.

I don't think so. ISTR that the long shot of the Doctor on the deck chair at Brighton isn't even Tom, it's just the costume. I think Tom was late getting to the location, or badly hung over. This photo is likely to be one of his personal appearances.

russellsuthern

Thanks guys- I love a good fan theory!!  ;D

Found some other pics of the coat when Tom was out & about on tour....
Maybe the pic was taken around this time?

22.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Hope some of you find this of interest.  :)

Regards,

Russell

fivefingeredstyre

Apr 16, 2021, 07:38 am #973 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2021, 07:40 am by fivefingeredstyre
Quote from: meantimebob on Apr 16, 2021, 01:40 am
Quote from: Volpone on Apr 16, 2021, 12:41 amJust brainstorming, but IIRC, he wasn't a huge fan of the final season plum costume.  And he was lounging in a deck chair in the opening of that season for "The Leisure Hive."  I wonder if this picture was taken while they were getting stuff ready to go for the location shoot out at the beach.  Didn't they have the old hat and scarf on the hatrack in the control room?  Just throw them on with his street clothes, sit down in one of the chairs, and let someone snap the picture.  Like I said, that's just a wild guess, but it's one I'd be willing to argue at a cocktail party.

I don't think so. ISTR that the long shot of the Doctor on the deck chair at Brighton isn't even Tom, it's just the costume. I think Tom was late getting to the location, or badly hung over. This photo is likely to be one of his personal appearances.
Hadn't he just got off a plane from filming something over the other side of the world, late the day before?

redfern

The cool thing is, that coat would not have looked "out of place" in the series proper.

Is that your next goal, Russell, finding a similar coat to depict whom we might call "Unbound Tom", thus "staving off" the series 18 maroon ensemble just a bit longer?  ;)

Sincerely,

Bill