Apr 20, 2024, 04:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Your Bat-suit puts mine to shame.  The Portland house had a crawlspace (if you could call it that; there was maybe 11" of clearance between the dirt (yes, no vapor barrier) and the joists) but there was a concrete bunker (like 8x8-ish) in it that the furnace was in.  At the time I was making wine so I spruced it up and made it into a wine cellar.  But I had a nice "Batman" Halloween mask kicking around that I'd always hoped to do something with but never got around to.  So I slapped together a "t" stand, stuck it on it with a cape cut from the leftover black plastic from the vapor barrier I installed to drape over the whole thing, and then stood some old East German Army officer boots under the whole thing.  It looked OK, but nothing like yours. 

(And because even though the "Batcave" was deeper than the crawlspace, it still had low enough ceilings that the full-sized "Bat-suit" display in it looked *off*.)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Thanks!
I was very proud of it at the time.
It's funny looking back at how things change.
As a kid it was always Dr Who as my number one interest, with Star Wars second, then all the superhero stuff.
Then, about the time of the Keaton movie I switched to Batman & superheroes in general, as my main interest. That lasted a few years until interest started to wain & I got more into Star Wars- mostly due to the Lightsabers, I think, I still love Lightsabers!
Then finally, I went full circle back to Dr Who. I am still interested in all things Sci-fi/fantasy, but Dr Who is the only franchise that I'm into enough to cosplay, prop build, etc.

I guess they're right when they say you never forget your first love!!

Best regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Feb 12, 2021, 07:49 pm #797 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2021, 07:52 pm by russellsuthern
Kung Hei Fat Choy!!

Or.. Happy Chinese New Year!!

I'm a bit sad tonight because normally this time of year I would be out every day & night performing Chinese Lion & Dragon dances with my team for all kinds of clients celebrating the Lunar Festival:

ho4.jpg

Oh well, what can you do...

The irony has not escaped me that it is the year of the Ox & I am trying to build a bull-like Nimon.

I painted my creation black & added some highlights:

ho1.jpg

ho2.jpg

ho3.jpg

I don't think it will really come together until the horns go on, but at the moment my main areas of concern are:

1)  I think the ears are still a bit too big.

2) I used matt black paint & I'm thinking gloss might have looked  better.

3) I think I might have got a bit excited & overdone it on the highlights...

I'll sleep on it tonight, have another look tomorrow & decide what to do.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Russell

scotland yard

It looks well to me!

1. I think they look alright.
2. Maybe some lacquer to gloss it a little bit?
3. Claim it's grandpa Nimon, so it's just the whiteness of age  ;D
Oh my giddy aunt!!

fivefingeredstyre

I was going to suggest lacquer as well!

It's looking really good Russ. Have you sourced a pair of platform shoes to go with it yet?

Volpone

Nope.  No horns needed.  I instantly recognize that as the Nimon.  It really came together and it's going to be really neat with the horns. 

I'm trying to think what those wand attachments look like that they put on flashlights (torches) for directing traffic and such. [Googles a bit] Nah, nevermind. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Feb 13, 2021, 08:56 am #801 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2021, 09:24 am by russellsuthern
Thanks for your kind words & comments guys.

Regarding altering the finish, I am going to go for a glossier look.
As to whether I use gloss black, varnish or lacquer, I'm going to try a highly scientific approach...
I'm going to have a look in my shed & use whatever I've got... ::)    ;D

(Actually, that's the 70's BBC prop department approach...  ;D  )

Ps:  Still in two minds about the platform shoes... I'm so clumsy I just know I'd end up going "A over T" !!!!

Best regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Mornin'!

Sooo...

I clipped his ears (don't tell the RSPCA...)

I also drastically reduced the highlighting.

Once that all dries I'm going to try some lacquer or varnish, which should give it more depth.

I also mocked up a pair of paper horns to give me an idea of general size & placement.

Here's some snaps:

hh1.jpg

hh2.jpg

hh5.jpg

hh6.jpg

The finish line is in sight...

Once the head is sorted I need to decide what I'm going to do about the platform boots & source some gold material for the loin cloth...

Cheers!

Russell

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: russellsuthern on Feb 13, 2021, 01:12 pmThe finish line is in sight...

Cheers!

Russell

Does Shada count in your journey? I'd love to see what you do with Skagra's hat. But no tangling with any Krargs. Unless of course you have to tangle with any Krargs.

Francïs Snr
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

russellsuthern

Skagra's disco suit is a sight to behold, for sure!

I am tempted.... But I need to get my Nimon done first AND I need to finish my "City Of Death" bits, too!

So plenty of things to finish before I can even think of heading over to the hallowed halls of Cambridge...

Regards,

Russell

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: russellsuthern on Feb 13, 2021, 05:25 pmSo plenty of things to finish before I can even think of heading over to the hallowed halls of Cambridge...

Regards,

Russell

You've plenty of time... October May Week's in June.

Francis
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

elkad

Quote from: russellsuthern on Feb 13, 2021, 01:12 pmhh1.jpg

Qoute: "THE NEXT STEP IN THE GREAT JOURNEY OF LIFE"

cool  8) 

kert gantry

Feb 13, 2021, 10:31 pm #807 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2021, 10:34 pm by kert gantry
This is looking fantastic.

With regards to earlier comments about the vaguely insectoid appearance... Seeing your latest pics With the horns added, my instant reaction was "Martians from Hammer's 'Quaternass and the Pit'."

russellsuthern

Thanks!

Distant cousins, maybe...?

quater.jpg

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Just don't tell me he looks like Mestor, or I'll really get upset!!! 

mestor.jpg

Regards,

Russell