Apr 16, 2024, 06:30 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moonbeam

That looks absolutely mint, I am unbelievably jealous, the perfect 4th doctor coat!

russellsuthern

Thanks for all your kind comments, guys.
Makes me love the coat even more, if possible!

I am chomping at the bit to wear it, but just too at the moment- I'd melt!!
Roll on winter!

I had to lol at Bill's comment about being buried in the coat.
For some reason it brought visions of a viking funeral..  ;D

The coat isn't 100% accurate- especially the collar,but that doesn't bother me at all.
I quite like the odd touch of individuality.
I kind of feel that if it was totally accurate, everyone would assume it was a cosplay copy, but with the slight differences, people might think, "Has he managed to find a genuine vintage coat that looks just like Toms?"
Or it might just be that I take a perverse delight in screwing with the 100% accurate OCD cosplayers brains....
I'm constantly on the look out for an accurate waistcoat.
Cosplay versions are a bit out of my price range. So for now I'll have to stick to the one I have, which, as you say, is close enough to fool the eye, as long as you don't directly compare the two!!

Always things that can be upgrading or improved, though.

One thing I've been hankering after for a while now is a proper metal sonic screwdriver to replace the plastic toy one I'm waving around at the moment.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers all.

Russell

davidnagel

Lovely stuff as always Russ!
Regards
David

russellsuthern

Hi all.
Hope you are well.
I haven't been active much lately, although I have been keeping an eye on the site.
I have been gathering some photos of Tom from occasions when he's been in costume after he left the show & I'm hoping to upload those to this thread in due course, to round off the journey, so to speak.

In the meantime, I have been on the lookout for ways to upgrade my own cosplay.
Iv'e been using a plastic sonic toy, but for ages have coveted the metal version, but It's always been a  bit out of my budget, however, Iv'e been quietly saving my pennies & finally ordered one from Rusreps.

It looks much better than the plastic one and I'm very happy with it. It stays in my pocket wherever I go!!  ;D

IMG_20230330_171729.jpg

IMG_20230330_171740.jpg

IMG_20230330_172353.jpg

Can't wait to take it to a convention & wave it around!!  ;D

Hope you're all well.

Regards.

Russell

davidnagel

I like a metal one! Look there's 3 settings!
Regards
David

fivefingeredstyre

That looks like a really good reproduction Russ!

The CO Screwdrivers are very good, but you can't beat a hefty metal version.

Does you one have sounds?

russellsuthern

No sounds, I'm afraid, but my wife thinks I make enough noise generally anyway!!

You are so right about the metal props.
Plastic is okay, but you can't beat the feel of metal.Both my sonic & lightsaber- They feel hefty & I love how they feel cold when you first pick them up.

Regards.

Russell

russellsuthern

Hey, all!

Hope you are well.
I've been chomping at the bit for an opportunity to show off my new coat.
This finally arrived in the shape of Portsmouth Comic Con 2023.

I did the Brighton one last year, so I thought I'd try a different one, plus there was going to be a specific Dr Who exhibition section to celebrate the 60th anniversary.

It was a great day out, made even better than I expected, by the Dr Who treats. The overall convention was pretty standard, but the Dr Who bit was awesome! So many brilliant props & costumes.
Even better, the exhibition had been set up by two TARDISbuilder regulars!
So I actually got to meet James (aka: Pertweefrills.) And David Nagle (A spiffingly nice guy!)
It was great to finally meet some of my TB buddies in the flesh. They were both so nice & friendly, which was fantastic!
Dave had brought his Hudolin TARDIS & Baker console. James had his awesome Brachacki box & a huge selection of costumes & props.
Plus there were Daleks, Davros, a K9 & much more!

The first picture shows off my ensemble pretty good, I think.
This is one of the 4th Doctors best looks, & I think my own cosplay is ever evolving to look more accurate,
The sharp eyed will spot that I have finally sourced a more accurate Baker waistcoat (I'll do a separate report on that later.) And that K9 has lost one of his eye slats. Damage like this often happens at events. The kids were all over him & by the time I noticed, it was long gone. But there you go, It's easily replaced (when I get the time!)
Anyhow- Here's the first pic:
1.jpg

These doors look familiar...wonder what's behind them?
2.jpg

I can tell you that David really is a "spiffingly nice guy"!
3.jpg

Let's enter through those magic TARDIS doors...
4.jpg

So we can play with the console!
5.jpg

"Where have you taken me to this time, Old girl?"
6.jpg

K9 met a friend. Fortunately they only sniffed each others noses....
7.jpg

Dave's Hudolin TARDIS really looks awesome in real life.
8.jpg

So I had to jump in for a photo op...
9.jpg

"Hello! I'm the Doctor...."
10.jpg

Ok, I think that's enough for now!
I'm still wading through the tons of photos I took, so in my next post I'll share some images of some the great costumes & props I saw.

Thanks to James & David for their hard work in making it such a special day.

Regards to all.

Russell

Rassilons Rod

That is a damn fine looking sonic!! 😍😍

Quote from: davidnagel on Apr 21, 2023, 02:35 pmI like a metal one!

I like a metal one too 🤘🏻😈🤘🏻

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Andrew Harvey

Great stuff. Looks like you had a brilliant time. Costume looks really good. Proper job.
  Andrew

redfern

Jun 11, 2023, 12:49 pm #1690 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2023, 12:57 pm by redfern
I daresay your K-9 looks better than the one on display, your having a better proportioned neck.  The other seems to be doing a box turtle "thang", trying to retract its head.

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 23, 2023, 07:40 amYou are so right about the metal props.
Plastic is okay, but you can't beat the feel of metal.Both my sonic & lightsaber- They feel hefty & I love how they feel cold when you first pick them up.

I feel the same way about my "Wand Company" Star Trek (original series) Type 2 phaser pistol and communicator.  9And I hope I'll be able to say the same thing about the tricorder if they ever get around to releasing the bleedin' thing!

Oh, and around 20 years ago, I picked up the "Master Replicas" Luke/Annakin and Vader lightsabers from the '77 movie.  Those things were also cast and milled metal.

russellsuthern

Jun 11, 2023, 07:38 pm #1691 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2023, 07:40 pm by russellsuthern
Thanks, all.
Yes, the neck of the K9 is deffo the most difficult bit to get right.

We're moving on to some of James's awesome costumes now.
He really does have an incredible collection.
Makes me wish I'd kept my 1 to 5 Doctors costumes.
But I had to sell them to raise enough money to get my new coat, so their sacrifice wasn't in vain...
Some of the photos didn't come out too good, as the lighting was quite dark & atmospheric, but here's a few for your delectation:

Number 1:
11.jpg

No 2:
12.jpg

No 3:
13.jpg

No 4- Based on his "Shada" costume:
14.jpg

Of course, I had to take a pic next to Tom's gear:
15.jpg

5 & 6:
16.jpg

7, 8 & 9:
17.jpg

10, 11, 12:
18.jpg

12 & 13:
19.jpg

Here's some other costumes I liked.
A Sea Devil, Cyberman & Clockwork robot. (James was actually in the clockwork robot costume & had great fun jumping at people!!)
20.jpg

Hope you like the pics- The costumes really were something else!

More soon....

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Morning,  :D

They had some nice Daleks at Comic con, including some unusual hybrids.

And you knowwwwwws I love a Dalek!!!
d1.jpg

This one is a 70s goon with movie ears & claw, & a NSD skirt!
d2.jpg

And this one seems to be based on a New Paradigm Dalek in Planet of the Daleks Supreme livery, with a Resurrection of the Daleks sucker arm, no less!
d3.jpg

Surrounded by the Daleks! But still smiling...
d4.jpg

They had a rather nice Davros, too....
d5.jpg

EXTERMINATE!!!!

Happy days.

Russell

russellsuthern

Jun 12, 2023, 08:07 am #1693 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2023, 08:10 am by russellsuthern
Last Comic Con post....

I always try to get a pic with as many versions of myself as possible.
This is what I got this time...

Me with a superb Dr number 1:
doc1.jpg

With another number 4, in a nice season 18 attire:
doc4.jpg

A number 6...well, he had the coat- so it counts!
doc6.jpg

I'm not an old-school snob  ;)  ..I like the new bunch, too... Here's a number 11:
doc11.jpg

Number 12- being menaced by a Sea Devil!!:
doc12.jpg

Another number 12, in front of James' beautiful Brachacki box:
doc13.jpg

Two ladies in lovely Dr Who skirts. One was wearing a number 13 T shirt & the other had a number 7 umbrella, so it counts!
doc14.jpg

Well, That's all folks!
Thanks for looking in.

Happy times & places.

Russell

russellsuthern

Hey all,

Not much time for cosplay lately, but I the cold weather does give me the chance to wear my hat, coat & scarf around town.
I saw a barber shop with a great sign on the wall, which the owner kindly took a photo of me next to, in return for a plug.

russ1.jpeg

It's Turner's barbers in Montague St, Worthing.

The guy is obviously in the know.....:)

Cheers,

Russ