Mar 29, 2024, 02:06 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

It's not complete until you get yourself ordained as a Doctor of Space and Time by the Universal Life Church.  https://www.themonastery.org/catalog/honoraryreligioustitle-p-65.html
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

I am SO doing that.... ;D

Russell

galacticprobe

Apr 19, 2018, 05:41 pm #17 Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 05:53 pm by galacticprobe
Russell, if you check on Page 2 of Penwiper's thread, you'll see I put in a link to a place that sells hat blanks (Blockade Runner - Headgear Page). That should take some of the hassle out of finding a hat and turning it into a blank, and then doing the shaping. The link is still good, but they've rearranged that page; the hat blanks are at the top now rather than a ways down. (I did post that link about two years ago.) And as time passes and inflation hits, the blanks are now $24.95 US. The brown one should work well for the Season 12 Tom Baker look. The grey or off-white one could be dyed bottle green for the later hat. If that helps.

Oh, and just one small detail:
Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 17, 2018, 09:38 pm
Yes, that is exactly what Penwiper was doing in his tutorial...

Not "his", but rather "hers": Penwiper is a young woman and has a wide range of 'Who' costumes. I met her at Timegate 2013 in Atlanta. (If you look my Dino's Costumes thread, you'll see her as Jamie with my 2nd Doctor... and since there are two Jamies I was photoed with, she's the one pointing at a "Cyberman" out of shot. "Oh, my giddy aunt!")

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 17, 2018, 09:38 pm
BTW: Your Indy costume looks awesome! ;D

Incidentally, Other Steve, I have to agree! (Would you please PM me with the link of the place where you found your shirt? It's the one thing I'm missing from my Indy outfit. Well, that and the whip, but I can get by without the whip for now.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

Hey, Dino,

Yes, I saw that link when I read the tutorial.

I was tempted to give it a go, but I think I'll stick with my hat from Laird Hatters for now.

Thanks for the heads up, re: Penwiper. It's funny how when a gender isn't obvious, one automatically thinks "male"- especially with Dr Who fans?! ::) Must work harder....

Best regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Apr 20, 2018, 07:20 pm #19 Last Edit: Apr 20, 2018, 09:09 pm by russellsuthern
ERRATUM:
I would like to correct my assumption that Penwiper was a chap, when she is, in fact, a lady... Sorry!
(And thanks to Dino for pointing it out!)

PART 5.   SEASON 12 cont.

SCARF & PROPS.

Now onto the good bit... The scarf!

I think Honorary Doctor put it best when he said, " Is there any other piece of costuming more iconic? More identifiable with the character?"

(Answer, ... No.)

The story of Tom's scarf is one of those rare occasions when the truth is stranger & more charming than the fiction!

In the fictional world of Dr Who, The Doctor's scarf was knitted for him by Madame Nostradamus. (A witty little knitter!)

In reality, the scarf was knitted by a lady with the charming name of Begonia Pope.

The costume dept wanted to reflect the following look:

Ambassadeurs poster.jpg

Costume designer James Acheson gave a huge bag of different coloured wools to Ms Pope to make the scarf, but, due to a miscommunication, she used the whole lot, ending up with a huge multicoloured scarf over 20 ft long!
Tom loved it, so after trimming it down to a more manageable length of about 12-13 ft it became part of the costume & an iconic look was born!

(Serendipity, as Dr Jones might say... :))

I have five scarves & this is the one I use for my season 12 look:

scarf.jpg

It's just the right length without being so long I trip over it & I think the colours look good. Maybe not 100% accurate, but actually, even if you put two supposedly accurate scarves side by side, they'll both look completely different, so It's all good.

I love my scarves & as soon as the cold weather hits you can't get me out of them.
I always say, "Wear your Dr Who scarf with pride!"

PROPS:

I tend to stick with the tried & tested basics when it comes to props:

Sonic, TARDIS key, Yo-yo, Jelly babies:

props.jpg

If you fancy being a bit more adventurous, then this list of potential prop items might get the creative juices flowing:

Jewelers eye glass
Pocket watch on a chain
Magnifying glass
Apple core (yuck!)
Playing cards
Time Ring
Etheric beam locator
1966 toy Batmobile
Coins of different age/country/planet.
U.N.I.T. Identity card.
Dog whistle (for K.9!)
A K.9! (motorized, or drag him round on a leash. I saw some great femme cosplay with a K.9 handbag :))
Lawyers wig
Book:  "Everest in Easy Stages."
Book: "How to Learn Tibetan."
Deeds to the City of Skaro
Pilots licence for Mars to Venus rocket run.
Scroll: Honorary membership of Alpha Centuri table tennis club.
Collapsible telescope
Collapsible magicians wand
Football rattle
TARDIS homing beacon.
Key to time tracer

Blimey!

It's a bit like an episode of  "The Generation Game!"
All we need is the cuddly toy!

(Add Sarah Jane's stuffed owl & you've got that, too!)

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Hopefully next week I'll have some full costume pics up for you all.

Best regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Apr 21, 2018, 05:56 pm #20 Last Edit: Apr 21, 2018, 05:58 pm by russellsuthern
WE INTERRUPT YOUR NORMAL PROGRAMMING TO ANNOUNCE A CHANGE TO YOUR VIEWING SCHEDULE:

TONIGHT WE PRESENT ANOTHER INSTALLMENT OF OUR OCCASIONAL SERIES: "WHERE ARE THEY NOW?"

THIS EPISODE: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO DR MEHENDRI SOLON?

THIS REPORT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY I.B.S  ("INVESTIGATIONS BY SUTHERN."  I REALLY NEED A NEW ACRONYM...)

Dr Mehendri Solon....

Hair 1.jpg

Originally, he was a universally renowned cosmetic surgeon & founder of TMAS (The Morbius Appreciation Society.)

Unfortunately, his business collapsed due to rumors of malpractice (& that he was a bit rubbish), plus at the same time he was being sued
by DWAS (The Doctor Who Appreciation Society) for intellectual property theft.

The pressure was too much for him & he went into hiding for several years.

He recently re emerged as a travelling pharmacist, peddling all manner of lotions, potions & snake oils.

I.B.S managed to acquire a bottle of THIS:

Hair 4.jpg

& decided to put it to the test.... These are the results from one simple application....

BEFORE:

Hair 2.jpg

AFTER:

Hair 3.jpg

Words fail me....

CAUTION! THIS PROGRAM HAS BEEN STOPPED FOR BEING TOO SILLY...
WE NOW RETURN TO YOUR SCHEDULED VIEWING....

RUSSELL'S 4TH DOCTOR COSPLAY.  PART 6.  SEASON 12 Cont...

THE WIG.

Well, as you can see from that little slice of daftness above, I have decided to go wig.

It took me a long time to make my mind up, but I just think that even if the costume is spot on, if the hair isn't right, it just doesn't fit somehow... (Volpone described it as cognitive dissonance...)
So I decided to take the plunge.
However, I didn't want to fork out a lot of cash for something I'm not going to be using very often, so I went to my local fancy dress shop & bought a brown "scouser" wig for a tenner.

It was way too big & bushy at first, so I attacked it with a pair of scissors & trimmed it down to size.

I was actually quite pleased with the results.
It's probably slightly less bushy than Tom had it, but I didn't want to look too much like a caricature.
Hopefully it's enough to show that I'm doing Tom, but not too much, if you see what I mean.

It does look a bit odd on it's own, but with all the rest of the gear it fits together quite well.

You will get to see the whole costume put together soon- promise!

Best regards,

Russell

galacticprobe

Apr 22, 2018, 06:44 am #21 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 07:26 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 19, 2018, 10:19 pm
It's funny how when a gender isn't obvious, one automatically thinks "male"...

Not really all that funny, actually. Most of us from "The Old Guard" (those who graduated from a high school or college (university) in the mid 1980s or earlier) were taught that the male pronouns (his, him, he) were the "default" to use when speaking or writing generally, and things were not gender specific. So we're just used to that mindset. (It was in the later mid 1980s when the "his or hers". "he or she", etc. started to become the norm. (Some scholarly works still use the old male default unless something is gender specific. Heck, even starting with "ST II: The Wrath Of Kahn", through to the end of the TNG era - CAPT Janeway excepted - used the male for everyone: "Mr. Saavik", who was female; other female officers responded to as "Sir". So is there any wonder why some of us are in that mindset?)

As for the wig, there is some discussion on Prydon Academy (I'll try to find the link) about where to locate a decent Tom Baker wig for a reasonable price. Until I can locate that link, here's some info from Bob Mitsch's breakdown of the 4th Doctor's costume... more aptly where to find a wig so your hair can look like his: dw-cosplay on LiveJournal - 4th Doctor Breakdown. The info on the wig is almost all the way down, right before the Season 18 costume info starts. To help keep things focused on the wig:

At the time that breakdown was posted (September 2008), the wig cost was $65 from Outfitter Wigs in Hollywood. According to Bob, it didn't need any styling. The wig was by Mystique and the style was NOLA, with color #8; color #6 would have worked as well, it was just a bit darker brown.

You can get some fake lace brown side burns if you can't grow any good ones from Cinema Secrets in Burbank, and when the breakdown was posted the cost was about $35. Vender info:

http://www.cinemasecrets.com

Outfitter Wigs
6626 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.outfitterswig.com
323-461-7822
323-469-9421
Email: sales(at)outfitterswig.com
Hours: 10 AM to 7 PM (US Pacific Time)

There isn't any search bar on the Outfitter Wigs web site, at least not one I can find, so you might have to contact them and ask about that specific wig.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

Apr 22, 2018, 08:59 am #22 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2018, 09:08 am by russellsuthern
Hey, Dino,
Hope you are good.
Yeah, I kind of meant funny "peculiar", rather than funny "Ha ha."

I was quite annoyed with myself actually, as I thought I had evolved beyond that. But it does show we must always continue to evolve, grow & improve ourselves whatever age we are.

Honorary Doctor Bob's stuff is great, isn't it?
I'm never going to match that level, especially as I like to work on a budget.
(I hope that doesn't come across as me saying you can get a good costume just by throwing a lot of money at it. There still needs to be a lot a patience, research, dedication & creativity.)
Bob's put a lot of work into his creations & his blog is one of my inspirations that I regularly turn to.

Re: Wigs:
It's a shame your excellent advice often gets swallowed up when the comments "collapse" after a new update is posted.
Hopefully people will still get to see it.

As I said, you can really shell out a lot of money for a top of the range syrup.
I can't justify that, so I'm sticking with my budget option.

The missus actually quite likes it now, she says it makes me look younger.
She's now saying I should start growing my hair long- so who knows, maybe one day I won't need a wig!

Anyway, taking photos of the whole look this afternoon, so we'll all be able to see how it all looks together :)

Regards,

Russell

galacticprobe

Apr 24, 2018, 06:16 am #23 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 06:20 am by galacticprobe
Russell, I've known Bob for years - so many I can't remember how long - and yes; his stuff is astounding! (Have you seen his Zygon costume? Mind-blowing!) Also mind-blowing is seeing Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck from the new 'Galactica') and Juliet Landau (daughter of Barbara Bain and the late Martin Landau), who is lending her voice talents to Big Finish productions as (I think) Romana IV, wearing his Season 17 greyish tween outfit! (If I was in his shoes, I'd need a whole new set because I'd never wash that particular outfit ever again!) He must have one fantastic job to put together all the costumes he has.

Getting back on track... As for the info on the wigs, just quote my post in your next Update (you can edit out the superfluous stuff and just leave in the bit about the wigs), and then that info will always be visible to everyone.

Dino.

russellsuthern

Hey Dino,

Yes, his Zygon & his decayed Master are both astounding....

Seeing Katee Sackhoff & Juliet Landau in Tom Baker's threads is kind of confusing...

A strange mixture of Geekiness & lust would describe it....

They certainly look a damn sight better as Tom than I do!!!

Best regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Apr 25, 2018, 07:35 am #25 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018, 01:28 pm by russellsuthern
Here's some good info Dino had about wigs:

"As for the wig, there is some discussion on Prydon Academy (I'll try to find the link) about where to locate a decent Tom Baker wig for a reasonable price. Until I can locate that link, here's some info from Bob Mitsch's breakdown of the 4th Doctor's costume... more aptly where to find a wig so your hair can look like his:

https://honorarydoctor.livejournal.com/21419.html

The info on the wig is almost all the way down, right before the Season 18 costume info starts. To help keep things focused on the wig:

At the time that breakdown was posted (September 2008), the wig cost was $65 from Outfitter Wigs in Hollywood. According to Bob, it didn't need any styling. The wig was by Mystique and the style was NOLA, with color #8; color #6 would have worked as well, it was just a bit darker brown.

You can get some fake lace brown side burns if you can't grow any good ones from Cinema Secrets in Burbank, and when the breakdown was posted the cost was about $35. Vender info:

http://www.cinemasecrets.com

Outfitter Wigs
6626 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.outfitterswig.com
323-461-7822
323-469-9421
Email: sales(at)outfitterswig.com
Hours: 10 AM to 7 PM (US Pacific Time)

There isn't any search bar on the Outfitter Wigs web site, at least not one I can find, so you might have to contact them and ask about that specific wig."

Okay, well that seemed to work.
My computer skills are slowly improving....
Now if I can only get the TARDIS to go where I want it to....

Cheers,

Russ

russellsuthern

Apr 27, 2018, 06:23 pm #26 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 06:54 pm by russellsuthern
PART 7.  Season 12.  The full Monty.

So I have finally got my full costume pics ready, so here we go...

0.jpg

Would you like a jelly baby?                                                      They're really very good...

1.jpg      2.jpg

I wanted to do something different than a straight gallery, so I have tried to recreate some iconic scenes & images from Season 12.
Not going for accuracy, just to get a flavour & have a bit of fun in the process!

I have posted the original image & my take on it together... betcha can't tell the difference! ;)  ;D

3.jpg  4.jpg

Had to use my longer scarf for this one.. Really shows how long the scarf was before they trimmed it down...

5.jpg  6.jpg

Yes, I know I'm holding my hat in the wrong hand.. That's the trouble with checking your pose in a mirror...D'oh!!

7.jpg  8.jpg

Just a simple gravity reading...

9.jpg  10.jpg

All I have to do is touch theses wires together & I destroy the Daleks forever.... But do I have the right...to deprive Terry Nation of his income?

11.jpg  12.jpg

This one of my favorite Tom Baker photo shoots of all time & this is my favorite photo from that shoot.
Probably because they used it for the 1st ever issue of Dr Who Weekly...

13.jpg  14.jpg

Here's some more...

15.jpg 16.jpg

17.jpg 18.jpg

Here's me with my Mini-me:

19.jpg

I had sooo much fun taking these photos.
The funniest bit was trying to recreate Tom's crazy facial expressions. In some of the pics I look really mad!
Ended up with face ache!! ;D

My poor, long suffering missus who was taking the pictures just kept rolling her eyes & saying, "You really need to see somebody..."

Anyway, I found this pic while I was trawling the Internet for reference shots..
I have decided to finish with it, as it is probably the cutest pic I have ever seen...

l20.jpg

Anyway,

Hope you enjoy the pictures, I had a blast doing them.

That's it for season 12, so the next installment will start a breakdown of season 13, which showcases my favorite Baker look.

Can't wait!

Thanks for reading,

Regards,

Russell

The14thDr

I love this thread, I genuinely look forward to each new instalment! You manage to capture everything that's so great about this hobby - getting an accurate costume and having an absolute blast while you're at it. ;D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

LMC97

Apr 27, 2018, 09:55 pm #28 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 09:56 pm by LMC97
I think I'm seeing double. It definitely shows you had a lot of fun taking these photos and each one looks fantastic.

LMC  :)
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

Volpone

Fun stuff!  Not a nitpick, just an observation--it's really interesting, how high-waisted trousers were in the 70s.  When you look at how short Tom Baker's cardigan is and how long his trousers are, compared to the modern ratio, it's almost shocking.  I first noticed this shopping for decent First Doctor trousers and vests at Goodwill.  Luckily the trousers ride very high because the vintage vests are very short.  I can only wear them with vintage trousers or the bottom of my shirt pokes out. 

That said, it really does come together nicely.  Your face is all wrong but you've got the mannerisms down so well that you pull it off quite nicely. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.