Apr 18, 2021, 01:50 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:5 Laser cut Newbery box circa 79'

Started by jamiebate, Feb 23, 2018, 07:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiebate

Feb 23, 2018, 07:24 pm Last Edit: Mar 17, 2018, 02:36 pm by The14thDr
I've been dancing around the idea of doing a good Newbery model for a while, but various things put me off. The first was how I'd achieve the very fiddly chamfered inner edges of all of the panels, secondly the fact that the original didn't have a back (I'm using some artistic license in giving it one). I was convinced to make one after seeing the lovely one put together for the recent Shada DVD. I finally bit the bullet recently and settled on 1:5 as the best size to go with regards available materials and things. I used my usual supplier of small wooden mouldings, placing a large order of 32 lengths of 45 degree angle strip, and 20 of their wooden quadrant. It cost... a lot, but I'm sure it'll be worth it for the even and accurate finish I want. The pieces are very fine and as I'll be taking my time with the carpentry of them, should be fine! I've got exactly enough so I hopefully wont make an error. It's significantly larger than any models I've worked on recently which is a blessing and a curse. Things are less prone to breakage but it's also absolutely huge! I produced the base piece and pitched roof piece with an added 2mm on the width of each, so that the multiple slightly miss-aligned layers could be sanded down to a perfect finish, which I achieved on an extremely large belt sander - one with a plate of a metre or so, which should come in handy for shaving the top of the box flat later on. As I'm going all out, I'm going to get a metal 3D printed lock made and hopefully find a way of doing something approaching pebbled glass for the windows. It strikes me that the original box's windows seemed opaque? so that alleviates the need for them to be translucent. Here are some photographs showing my current progress. Any suggestions are welcome, I still have little idea how I'll make the Police car lantern for the roof...

IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2101.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG
IMG_2104.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG

bjones

Lovely work. I've come to appreciate this box more and more over the years.

Bx

Davros Skaro

WOW, I'm liking this, your doing a brilliant job on this, I'm a bit jealous, as I don't have the ability or finance to something like this, so I'll enjoy watching this come together.  :) :D

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Oh how I wish I had access to the equipment to be able to do something like this! I agree with Davros Skaro, I look forward to watching this progress. :)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Angelus Lupus

A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

lespaceplie

What's a good source of the angled strips? I haven't been able to find them here in the US or online for some time, at least, not in wood. The styrene ones are easy to obtain. Quarter rounds / quadrants in small sizes are pretty easy to come by as well.