Is the Newbery box here? The Patrick Collection

Started by timerotor, Feb 17, 2018, 04:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkent

These are all the photos from the Twitter conversation about the Liverpool Festival (please let me know if anyone owns these and I'll take them off).  One is almost a square shot of the side.

I'm warming to Mark's thoughts that this could be the stripped and repainted Newberry.  The side panels and windows look right.  They're bevelled at least.  Would BBC Enterprises go to that trouble for a festival, or would they grab an existing box and do it up a bit?

The timings is right as the Liverpool Festival Gardens was in 1984.  The last shot at Longleat was April1983.  So time for it to be stripped and repaired?

It does feel like clutching at straws though.

What does everyone think?

Just Tardis.JPGSide Shot.JPGJust Tardis 3.JPGJust Tardis 4.JPGJust Tardis 5.JPG

Scarfwearer

There's something very odd about the panel bevels on this box. Besides looking very deep (1" ?), they seem to have a direction change: are they half beveled?

timerotor

They look very similar to my eye (one has to remember these are photographs, nothing will translate the same).

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 19.41.49.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-20 at 19.51.01.png

;D
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

madgaz

Is there likely to be anything physically in the prop that would confirm it's unmistakably one or the other?

If the owners are amenable, maybe someone close-by could do some 121 investigation?

Regardless; there are features of the box that I do like :)

andrewkent

This is looking more convincing!

If you made new sign boxes and fitted them higher up, that might reveal more steps under the sign box. The base at the Liverpool Gardens looks like it's black, although one side has been cut back, and the door batten at the base is there. The frame around each side panel is also there. The bevels look very similar as well.

The door could even be the originals doors, put back in this refurb?

The clincher for me is that there's no back to it, you can see the wall behind, and also the hint of a curtain.

I'd love to visit it armed with a tape measure, plans, photos and my camera!

timerotor

Feb 20, 2018, 09:00 pm #35 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2018, 09:26 am by timerotor
Quote from: madgaz on Feb 20, 2018, 08:03 pm
Is there likely to be anything physically in the prop that would confirm it's unmistakably one or the other?

If the owners are amenable, maybe someone close-by could do some 121 investigation?

Regardless; there are features of the box that I do like :)

I am in touch with the owner, and he tells me that they site is closed at the moment for work.... so they're sorting stuff out.

Must approach this with care & caution. Too many email enquiries could have a detrimental effect or moving this forward.

So Im waiting it out.

It seems unlikely though... it's just my thoughts.... one can but dream.

:)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!