Mar 29, 2024, 12:49 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Jw Tardis Lamp

Started by Angelus Lupus, Nov 14, 2017, 12:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

galacticprobe

Mar 07, 2018, 11:20 pm #16 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2018, 11:20 pm by galacticprobe
Sorry to hear that, Bob. You'd think they'd just order more to keep up with the demand. (It's hard to "Like" a post like you put up, so I'm going with my usual substitute:

Quote from: evil bob on Mar 07, 2018, 04:54 pm
Well, shoot.

"Thank you for shopping with us.

Unfortunately, the item you ordered is so popular that we have just sold out the last one.

We have to cancel this order and refund will be processed within 3~5 business days."

ThumbDown.jpg galacticprobe thinks this is sad.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

sector281411

I have one on the way I will post pics when I get it

Cardinal Hordriss

I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

jtvincent

Hello, this is my first post other than my introduction. If I'm not mistaken, the Fresnel lens on the current boxes are commercial plastic porch-light lenses (2 quid). There is a Frisbee base, and a simple Tiki torch bottom and cap (8 quid). It's all DYI.   It's held together by drywall screws.  The supports are PVC tubing with glue-gun and CA glue.  It's dauntingly simple. For the new box, there is a commercial plasma globe (15 quid), glue gunned into place with a blue plastic filter around a florescent screw-in bulb on the beacon. The plastic Fresnel lens is cut around the glass globe and just glued on there.  It's the easiest part of a TARDIS to make.       
JT Vincent

The14thDr

Wow, that's some amazing information you have there! I'm particularly interested by your notes on the Arwel Jones lamp - how in Rassilon's name were you able to work all that out with such certainty given how little information we currently have on this box?
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

jtvincent

I asked someone what the beacon was made of. I haven't seen the new production TARDIS.  There is usually a static one, on a stage in Cardiff-- made of wood and "hero,"level.  And 2 fibreglass mobile ones, powered by a 12 volt auto battery with a duratrans image of the interior. But, again, I haven't seen the new one yet.  I've seen pictures.  It is not complicated.  It's all pretty much off the shelf stuff. 
JT Vincent

karsthotep

Jun 10, 2018, 09:56 pm #22 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018, 12:10 am by karsthotep
Was the mysterious someone involved in the show in some way?  There is a lot of research that is done on this site on what is used on the TARDIS props and I mean a lot, you might want to check some of your information against the threads on the board.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

galacticprobe

Jun 11, 2018, 04:45 am #23 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018, 04:45 am by galacticprobe
Very well put, Karst. I was also wondering who this mysterious person is, and where said person got this strangely odd info on how the lamps have been constructed (which seems to contradict everything we've researched over the years).

I'm also curious as to where the other information comes from, especially with regard to the "fiberglas mobile ones" when referring to the actual TARDIS prop. So far with the New Series, every prop we've seen has been made from wood as evidenced by the nicks, gouges, scrapes, and scratches here and there on the props from handling and transport (i.e. wear and tear).

Even the hero Arwel Wyn Jones TARDIS prop that we've gotten a few good images of not long ago is already showing the same telltale signs of wood construction, and not fiberglas.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Quote from: jtvincent on Jun 10, 2018, 09:42 pm
But, again, I haven't seen the new one yet.  I've seen pictures.  It is not complicated.  It's all pretty much off the shelf stuff.

I'd love to see some of these pictures! Any chance of sharing a couple? So far we haven't been able to get a good look at this prop, and what we have seen hasn't yet led to any conclusive decisions about how this prop was made. You'd be doing us a huge favour.

Echoing the comments above, I'd also like to hear more about this mysterious source. If it's someone who actually worked on the show and built some of these TARDISes, then you are well-connected my friend!

jtvincent

Oh forgive me.  I neglected to mention that I work for BBC A.  I haven't been to Cymru in a while.  We're all Whovians here.  Great lot.  I don't get into the production side very often. They're doing a lot of shooting in Sheffield at the moment. Their are a lot of funny tricks to the TARDISes.  The mobile plastic ones are very light and a tad flimsy.  But they look really nice.  I haven't seen the new ones yet.  I'm new here so I don't want to come across as boorish, but happy to share anything I can.    whittaker box.jpg
JT Vincent

jtvincent

JT Vincent

karsthotep

I am sorry flimsy plastic ones? plastic TARDIS's?  Also the picture you posted we have already seen these aren't new and they show no detail beyond we what have already gleaned from higher resolution pictures available.  Also the "older picture" you posted you claimed in your intro thread was one you are building and were asking about window frame colors.    Your stories are becoming a bit inconsistent and requests for clarification on your sources are ignored. 

The14thDr

Jun 11, 2018, 08:41 pm #28 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018, 09:21 pm by The14thDr
Sorry, call me sceptical but I’m with Karst men on this one.

That photo doesn’t support your claims in any way about how the lamp was made (which also contradicts the research carried out elsewhere on the forum.) And as Karsten said, your stories are starting to become a little inconsistent. First you claimed that the mobile props were made from fibreglass - now you’re saying that they are flimsy plastic? Which one is it? And there is still no clarification on who this mysterious source of information is.

Surely they would be better suited to giving you a definitive answer for the colour of the window bars? If they can tell you exactly how the lamp was made as you stated above, surely you wouldn’t need to ask around here for something as simple as window colour?

I’d be happy to be proven wrong but I’m naturally sceptical of bold claims with little evidence to support them, especially ones that contradict years of research by experts in the field.

domvar

Have moved some posts to here from the fresnel sources thread as they were not really telling anyone where to buy a fresnel :)

I also feel that the comments in this thread go some way to covering the areas being speculated about.

Thanks

Dom