News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

JW Tardis Plans Discussion

Started by lespaceplie, Jan 25, 2018, 04:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelus Lupus

Mar 23, 2018, 11:49 pm #60 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2018, 11:50 pm by Angelus Lupus
Quote from: Davros Skaro on Mar 23, 2018, 09:51 pm
no-one is perfect, especially the magazines & media. They report something, we have to take their word for it until it is found different

Ah, well, at the risk of straying off topic (but it's as useful here, as in everyday life)... Perhaps it would behove us to keep in mind that we don't have to take their word. We can investigate other possibilities and look for corroborating evidence - something this forum excels at. It's the attitude that's given us in-depth reference sections, and busted some myths along the way ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

cdngoose

Now that I have been directed to this lost forum, I am elected to see the work being done.
Unfortunately I can't wait for the show to start to get confirmation of the measurements and I honestly do not have the time to sit with all the math to confirm what my betters have already surmised the dimensions to be.
I will use the info already here and start the build in two weeks roughly. I need this Tardis done in fibreglass for September. Once I start I will post a diary and hopefully you kind people will be gracious enough to direct me if I run afoul.
Somewhat luckily I am in Canada so I have no worries about someone carrying a tape measure to ensure I'm dead accurate. I just need to be as close as possible so those who see it will know it's Jodi's Tardis even though it will not have appeared on TV yet

Cdngoose

Scarfwearer

Jun 04, 2018, 08:03 pm #62 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2018, 08:08 pm by Scarfwearer
There are slightly different plans from Lespaceplie and I on page 3 of this topic. I don't think we'll get it perfectly nailed until we see more of it on the show, but either plan will get you pretty close, I think. We don't disagree by a lot:

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8428.msg107708#msg107708

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8428.msg108485#msg108485

astromark

I'm in the same boat. I have put together plans that I am happy with and I am going to start my build within days. My brother has a store wherein he sells old records and other collectibles so I am making this for him. He plans to put it in his store and use as a listening booth for old record albums, and to draw in customers, because, you know, he'll have a TARDIS in his store. I am going to use my plans so I know this is the only one like it and it will be unique to his store.JW TARDIS Plan Final.png

Scarfwearer

That's great news from both of you. We'll look forward to the build diaries. :)

alan smithee

Just saw this prototype cover for the next DW Annual, and it features a (partial) drawing of the new TARDIS.

I figured it'd be of note here, since it's either an official illustration, or swiped from someone here ;P

IMG_4233.JPG

lespaceplie

I don't think it's a swipe. The lamp isn't drawn quite like any of the diagrams in this thread. I wouldn't count on it being taken from real plans either - probably just an illustration.

lespaceplie

Expect another stab at the dims shortly. Though it's probably manipulated to fit the cover, the photo of the 2019 Diary has been most helpful. After scrutinizing it, I have a plausible theory about the design that falls into place with strangely convenient English measurements. That path doesn't always work out, but assuming the door height of 78" / 198cm plus 1/2" spacing on the ribs in the fluted glass definitely leads somewhere and reinforces the idea that this one is indeed not much bigger than the TY-J props.

lespaceplie

Here's a tentative refresh in inches, yes, inches.

dims.jpg

funnynwittyreference

Oct 20, 2018, 08:50 am #69 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2018, 08:51 am by funnynwittyreference
Here are the official plans from the new TARDIS manual book:

13 TARDIS plans front small.jpg

13 TARDIS plans top small.jpg

(These aren't my pictures)
I've come out of lurking just to post this.

lespaceplie

I'm not saying my plans are correct, but I'd take all the "official" plans in this book with a grain of salt. There is often a difference in plans vs. what actually gets built. The Brachacki plans in the book are a little iffy for a start.

Scarfwearer

I added up the dimensions of the door in the plan and got 1873mm.
We still don't have an unambiguous reference for scale, but a doorway opening of 1.873m (6' 1 3/4") seems implausibly small, both given the estimates we've made and practicality with tall actors. If it turns out that that is in fact the height actually measured from the prop, I'd be... surprised. But then I've been surprised before.

Rassilons Rod

Jodie Whitakker's height is 1m67
Bradley Walsh is 1m75

(According to Google anyway).

I know that with stooping, etc it's not definitive but it might help to roughly see if it fits :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

At this point I'm holding out for someone with a tape measure or some very unambiguous reference.
Measuring against wobbly blobs like humans gives you at best a rough approximation.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Oct 21, 2018, 11:40 am
At this point I'm holding out for someone with a tape measure or some very unambiguous reference.
Measuring against wobbly blobs like humans gives you at best a rough approximation.

Agreed, I just figured figuring out if those measurements are at least in the same ballpark or not might be s doable thing :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.