Apr 18, 2024, 04:23 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Lym's TARDIS (and Met Box) Renders

Started by lym, Feb 09, 2018, 07:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lym

Something a little different. A peek into the alternate universe where the TARDIS was based on a Mark 5 box:

brach5_auc.jpg

brach5_dioe.jpg

brach5_chas.jpg

brach5_med.jpg

This is actually a completely new model - the Mark 5 design translated to the Brachaki proportions and stylings.

Jam Jar Lurker

"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

lym

Sep 09, 2021, 10:41 pm #122 Last Edit: Sep 10, 2021, 05:32 pm by lym
Forgot to post this - tentative comparison of boxes. Subject to change as the models are improved and made more accurate. This portrays them all in their late-50s-60s livery, though it's worth noting that only a few Mark 1s are known to have survived that long.

E97CZcZX0AA_K_o.jpg

Worth mentioning I forgot to turn on the visibility settings for the Mark 5's handles.

mikey

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

The_TARD1Sman

My Fave is Definatly The Mark 3

Jam Jar Lurker

"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

davidnagel

Regards
David

Volpone

Interesting indeed.  A couple thoughts:  The Mark 1 looks to me to be the most TARDIS-like.  I think they kind of attempted it with the TYJ, but the show never really got the great big roof stack fully.  Secondly, it is interesting how a normal camera angle (like you use on your images) hides the much more pronounced sloped roof of the police box.  Looking up at it, you don't see how tall the sloped part of the roof it and it looks much flatter, like a TARDIS roof. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

lym

I really wanted to make a background to display my boxes, but I struggled to think of anything. A junkyard? A warehouse? A street? A lot of them seemed unsuitable or incredibly difficult/render-intensive. But then... it hit me!

radiolympia-1936.png

...The exhibition for Met boxes at Radiolympia 1936. What better way to display a police box than a recreation of a place that displayed a police box? So I've set out to recreate that. Most of the modelling is done, which just leaves texturing (including recreating the background image from scratch) and materials/lighting. But it should be fun.

radiolympia-rec.png

(Incidentally, it was only upon making this that I realised that top of the exhibition recreates the top of a police box, complete with lamp. Very cute.)

lym

Angelus Lupus

Nice! The Radiolympia box is an interesting variant/prototype - almost partway between a Met and a Glasgow, with the sizes of the panels. I like it, even though early boxes will always look a little 'off' to me because the SJA badge and instructions are in the 'wrong' place - well, wrong for a Tardis, and all the later boxes, anyway!  ;D
What font did you use for the top sign? Because I can't recall if we ever solved that one - I do remember discovering it didn't match the typeface on the promotional brochure/leaflet.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Volpone

Your exhibit has better lighting than the actual one. ;)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

dr hue

Blimy when I saw this in "Recent posts" I thought it was an original shot I'd not seen.

Excellent work Lym!

rainybox

This is the most magical thread I've ever read. Watching you imrpove through the years in a matter of minutes has been a real treat!!
I will find those pesky Metboxes in hiding!

lym